PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night "concert"

Inspector Fenwick
07-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Saturday the 18th, for the record......

Laying in my sleeping bag, sort of exhausted after a 3 hour flight, putting up tents, greeting family, etc.....When, about 9:30p

BAM, SLAM, CRASH
What passes for music to those who also enjoy meth, smack, juice, nose candy......erupted from what seemed to us to be Camp Scholler (we were camped in Vintage). Called the sheriff who said that it was a concert of def leopard at a venue west of the EAA grounds. Lasted until 12:30am. The ground shook and at 10:30 the volume went UP.

Apparently this "concert" occurs each year, but this year, the "early" OSH put in conflict with this piece of krap event. I know that next day, amongst the neighbors in the Vintage area, there was a rumor that Ford had sponsored that concert. Don't think that was true.

Floatsflyer
07-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Careful now, your age is showing, you're turning into your parents.

Where were you in August, 1969? The music was really loud for a few wonderful days and nights. You would have liked it then.

Mike Switzer
07-27-2015, 04:53 PM
I would have loved to have heard that up close & personal. Actually, My cousin & his wife were there for the whole week. (At the rock fest, I mean) They said it rocked. :D I had to work.

Inspector Fenwick
07-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Careful now, your age is showing, you're turning into your parents.

Where were you in August, 1969? The music was really loud for a few wonderful days and nights. You would have liked it then.

Yes, my age IS showing. I was grateful to witness the first death of heavy metal. As an former rocker myself, back then it was considered the product of those who could not play individual notes on an instrument. They are all dead now. Even motley crue and def lepard (the new crop) are now close to the nursing home. Maybe there is hope.

In August of '69, Woodstock, NY, there was sweet music played. No animals harmed. No meth/crack heads, just bad acid for those who enjoy losing control of themselves.

When that crowd left Winnebago County Saturday night, the collective IQ of the county increased 40 points.

FlyingRon
07-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Saturday night was particularly awful. I couldn't even make it out as music. Some of the previous nights were actually quite good. Thursday night I kind of enjoyed it. Heard Skynard playing Sweet Home Alabama.

The airport called and said y'all are making too much noise. Can't hear the Harriers.

Byron J. Covey
07-28-2015, 06:31 AM
The airport called and said y'all are making too much noise. Can't hear the Harriers.

Good one!

BJC

Zack Baughman
07-28-2015, 07:36 AM
This was the Rock USA event located directly west of Camp Scholler, across Highway 41. Unfortunately, EAA has zero control over that. Hopefully the berms along Hwy 41 helped a little bit. Most years the two events don't overlap.

Fastcapy
07-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Yeah, like Zack said it is actually a 4 day event called Rock USA. They also have Country USA in June. They are put on by the same promoter. Yes, Ford is a big sponsor of both.

This is a yearly event that just happened to overlap this year because of the early Airventure.

I wouldn't call it crap. Both Rock USA and Country USA bring some pretty big acts into town. And honestly the Rock USA crowd is pretty mellow compared to the Country USA crowd. Seems like every other year we get someone trying to cross I-41 during Country USA and the get run over.

There are a lot of local people who complain about Airventure noise too.

Such is life in Oshkosh aka "Event City"

Byron J. Covey
07-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Seems like every other year we get someone trying to cross I-41 during Country USA and the get run over.

Natural selection is alive and well, and frequently is assisted by man-made machinery.

BJC

mazdaP5
07-28-2015, 07:50 PM
I slept right through it. I'm pretty beat after a days walking at Oshkosh. I bet the golf cart folks were kept up.

Kyle Boatright
07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
It had been a late night at the dairy on the night of July 17th, and there I was in my little house in Ripon trying to catch a few extra Z's the next morning. A couple of hours after daybreak, little airplane after little airplane roared over my place. The pace kept up endlessly for two days (Roar, Rooooar, Rooar, Zoom, Roar!), and went on at a reduced level for another week. I couldn't sleep, the chickens wouldn't lay eggs, the missus was grumpy, and the cows stopped producing milk...

Fastcapy
07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Kyle, you are just about right on the money! That is the way a lot of people think around here... That and any time there is a crash, coming to Airventure, at Airventure or leaving Airventure many of the locals say, see this event is super dangerous! Now with the night airshow people complain about the fireworks and pyro noise as well!

PaulDow
07-29-2015, 12:17 PM
It looks like next year Rock USA will be held July 14 - 16, so it while it will affect the people on site setting things up, the local beer tent should be the only late loud music during the International Fly-In Convention.

Kyle Boatright
07-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Kyle, you are just about right on the money! That is the way a lot of people think around here... That and any time there is a crash, coming to Airventure, at Airventure or leaving Airventure many of the locals say, see this event is super dangerous! Now with the night airshow people complain about the fireworks and pyro noise as well!

I hope I got my point across that whether a rock music event or a fly-in, almost anything we do other than sitting at home in the dark is going to bother someone. We need to respect that fact that we, too, cause distress to others, so take it easy condemning other activities like concerts...

tmcquinn
08-02-2015, 09:46 AM
I hope I got my point across that whether a rock music event or a fly-in, almost anything we do other than sitting at home in the dark is going to bother someone. We need to respect that fact that we, too, cause distress to others, so take it easy condemning other activities like concerts...

Well put!

I've been way to close to the Charcoal Pit's karaoke a few times and learned the value of bringing ear plugs.