PDA

View Full Version : Why Scholler Sucks

turtle
07-20-2015, 04:23 PM
People completely oblivious to their actions and having no, none, zero, zilch respect for their neighbors.

So here I am, tenting it amongst another large group of tents. I come back to the site after noon to get out of the sun and find this thing parked right next to us. No problem. Bring what you got. About 20 minutes later I'm dozing off and they fire up an industrial strength (loud) generator. I'm in my tent getting gassed and deafened from them being parked upwind. I get out just in time to see them closing all their windows and getting ready to spend the afternoon in the comfort of their A/C. A little common courtesy would suggest not parking next to a bunch of tents if you are planning to use a generator all day. At the very least, get a Honda, not the cheapest surplus made in china refurb for sale at oil-rigs-r-us.

How about the EAA set aside a non-generator area if members are going to be so ignorant?

Then there's the "Hey look at me I'm on a Hardly Davidson and I don't like mufflers" idiots. They're the ones riding though the campground blipping the throttle all day and night. A guy the next row over even has a scooter with the muffler removed to match his rattle-trap POS Harley. Great when the Fly-in theater runs late and these dolts ride back. We know you are probably trailering it to Sturgis after AirVenture. We don't care. This is Oshkosh, not Sturgis. Want to impress us? Show up in a shiny new fire truck. And to the guy with the golf cart with worn out engine - the mosquitoes aren't that bad, you don't need to drive around fogging the campground while people are outside eating dinner.

Maybe quiet time should mean quiet time. No vehicles after 11pm unless you are handicapped or just arriving. If you can walk around the displays all day, you can make it to showers or porta-johns at night without driving.

N4018Niner
07-26-2015, 07:16 AM
You have a point. There are many people who are inconsiderate of the impact they have on the earth and the other people around them. There were a lot of people on the grounds this year, and with that many people it is even more important for all of us to remember that we are not at home in our own back yard. The consequences of peoples' selfishness and inconsiderateness is that camping areas fill up and many people who wanted to come to enjoy the airshow are either diverted to other airports or stayed home. Below are two examples of tents set up in the North 40; clearly with the intent of taking up an extra space, thus three families that could have camped with their airplane at Oshkosh this year were unable to.
These Texans felt it necessary to not have neighbors

This Bonanza pilot did not read camping guidelines (within the footprint of your airplane) and does not care that this tents prevent two other airplanes from camping in the North 40.

flymichigan
07-26-2015, 10:26 AM
"How about the EAA set aside a non-generator area if members are going to be so ignorant?"

Actually....they do. Look at the camp map.

martymayes
07-26-2015, 11:29 AM
People completely oblivious to their actions and having no, none, zero, zilch respect for their neighbors.

lol, some things never change. The "rules" in scholler are only guidelines. Nobody enforces them. Attendees are supposed to be neighborly and all that.

Several yrs about I found out around 9:30pm that I had foolishly put my tent right at the finish line of the 1st annual Camp Scholler ATV races (open to all kids under the age of 15 with an ATV, lol). Amazing how much a difference moving my car 10 ft made.

martymayes
07-26-2015, 11:31 AM
These Texans felt it necessary to not have neighbors

Just curious, how do you know they were from Texas?

mazdaP5
07-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Am I missing something on the Bonanza? It looks like all three tents are within the footprint.

Joe Delene
07-26-2015, 04:57 PM
My neighbors were nice in the 'North 40', no issues.

TedK
07-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Just curious, how do you know they were from Texas?
That looks more like a Tennessee "T" on the chairs to me, but my eyesight is no longer eagle-eyed.

wyoranch
07-26-2015, 08:31 PM
That looks more like a Tennessee "T" on the chairs to me, but my eyesight is no longer eagle-eyed.
I believe you are correct. My wife is from Texas and swears manners and good social skills are a genetic trait of all real Texans . Lol
rick

Mayhemxpc
07-27-2015, 08:51 AM
Second on the Bonanza picture. Two tents on either side are within the aircraft footprint. The green tent is behind the wing tip of a second aircraft, presumably within the footprint of that airplane. The first picture does seem to be egregious and EAA staff responsible for that area should have pointed it out. It looks like more than one offender.

But that is not Scholler, the subject of the thread.

martymayes
07-27-2015, 06:41 PM

Correct! But they always say Oshkosh can't function without Volunteers!!

wyoranch
07-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Correct! But they always say Oshkosh can't function without Volunteers!!
That is a good one! Very funny!

skyfixer8
07-28-2015, 06:46 AM
I can add to the stories about campers and rules. I was camped near a large GA manufacturers "compound" ( won t name them , they have a chute in back of plane that pops out when they forget how to fly......I know I will catch flak for that one), anyway, after their all night loud party's, they would leave the fully stocked bar unatended outside in full view of anyone walking by. I sure noticed a lot of kids eyeing that area. I tried to get security to talk to them. Actually saw a conversation between them and security, but nothing was done. Situation lasted all week.
Bill L

WeaverJ3Cub
07-28-2015, 05:42 PM
So this year was my first trip to Oshkosh. After several years of reading all the whining threads after every year's convention I was worried about what to expect.

My conclusion: most of you all are too sensitive. I camped in a tent in the 24hr generator area and on Schaik about 100yds from the fly-in theater. Were there scooters? Yes. Were there generators? Yes. Were there large RVs? Yes. Was there a lot of late traffic when the theater let out? Yes.

But it was not nearly as bad as half of you make it out to be. Sometimes I wonder if we all go to the same place in July.

Low Pass
07-29-2015, 07:44 AM
My neighbors were nice in the 'North 40', no issues.HBC was just lovely!! And when I went to bed, I put in earplugs so I could sleep. Worked well. And as already pointed out, that's a Tennessee "T" on those chairs. :rollseyes:

Jdw2717
07-30-2015, 07:00 PM
I camped in Scholler this year (second time) and it was great. The port a potties were clean, the people were mostly quite and the traffic was light. Now, I was way out at 11th and Lindbergh so I was deeper into the campground but it was good just like last year. You could sit out in the evening and watch the ultralights and blimp fly around. You could even see the night airshow and fireworks from my site. I have no complaints about the camping or the show. I had a great time again and will definitely be back next year.

Chris In Marshfield
07-31-2015, 07:43 AM
This was, I guess, my eighth year camping in Scholler, and I thought it was as nice as usual. There are folks with obnoxious generators, for sure. But when they're tucked behind their bus/camper/whatever, "they" don't notice how obnoxious they are. But the rest of us certainly do, don't we?

The ATV/UTV/Cart traffic was exceptionally high this year, I thought. There really isn't a need for these things, in my opinion. Put on your walking shoes and get moving. The "bike park" looks like a dang ATV sales lot during the show! Not Scholler, but the impact is felt there as well.

I like when the unique carts and what-not travel through, Scholler, though. In years past I've seen motorized recliners and the like. Or bikes with propellers. They add character to the experience. But the proliferation of ATVs and carts, not so much.

Shower facilities were in good repair much of the time, but some of them were down a couple of days with broken nozzles and such. I'd figure that the cleaning crews would make a note of that during the closure time and get them fixed, but it seemed to take longer this year. I think it would be nice to have a "help line" posted that we could call in the case of a broken fixture.

Other than that, Scholler was as nice and accommodating as usual.

dclaxon
08-01-2015, 10:19 AM

So here I am, tenting it amongst another large group of tents. I come back to the site after noon to get out of the sun and find this thing parked right next to us. No problem. Bring what you got. About 20 minutes later I'm dozing off and they fire up an industrial strength (loud) generator. I'm in my tent getting gassed and deafened from them being parked upwind. I get out just in time to see them closing all their windows and getting ready to spend the afternoon in the comfort of their A/C. A little common courtesy would suggest not parking next to a bunch of tents if you are planning to use a generator all day. At the very least, get a Honda, not the cheapest surplus made in china refurb for sale at oil-rigs-r-us.

Turtle,

It's not just the big RVs and converted buses. I have a pop-up, which in use is little more than a tent with an above-ground floor. (At least as far as sound coming in.) A few years ago we had 3 young guys camped across the road from us in a similar pop-up, and they had the loudest generator I believe I have ever heard. One afternoon they had it running for several hours straight. (Don't know if they were using their crock-pot for dinner?) On several occasions I was ready to go across the street and shut it off for them. When it finally did stop, the cheer that went up through that side of Scholler was louder then for some of the airshow acts.

Dave

Mike M
08-01-2015, 11:33 AM
... after their all night loud party's, they would leave the fully stocked bar unattended outside in full view of anyone walking by....

Darn, Bill, they left it out for anybody to hep theyseffs, that was darn right neighborly of them, didn't you pick up any fix'ns from them?

skyfixer8
08-01-2015, 04:16 PM
No Mike, by the time I got there, kids had already taken the good stuff. All I got was beer.

Bill L

FunInAviation
08-03-2015, 04:45 AM
My quick (but expensive) solution. I set up my pup-tent out close to the interstate (nothing else left) and got my air mattress and sleeping bag ready for sleepy-time. Then decided to watch a movie on my iPad. When I put on my Boze noise reduction headset, I noticed that it almost completely nailed the outside interstate and neighbor nose. So I left it on and slept like a baby.

http://eaaforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4982&stc=1

Chris In Marshfield
08-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Great idea!

Inspector Fenwick
08-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Being a strict libertarian, I try to live my life in such a way that whatever I do does not harm or even BOTHER others. Now....having said that....if I chose to live in an apartment building, I must expect that the "sounds of others" and the sights of their lives are going to be apparent to me, and to complain about those things would suggest that psychiatric treatments are in order...as in "what did you expect?".

I have not camped at Scholler in years, but always had a great time. As opposed to the apartment building, pretty much everyone there has an interest in aviation. When my days in the Vintage area are complete, I will gladly go back.