PDA

View Full Version : Any Dot or FAA at Airventure?

Bill Greenwood
07-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Will DOT chairman or spokesman be speaking at Airventure and if so when and were?

I want to bring my best pair of throwing shoes, maybe some old golf shoes with spikes.

rwanttaja
07-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Will DOT chairman or spokesman be speaking at Airventure and if so when and were?

I want to bring my best pair of throwing shoes, maybe some old golf shoes with spikes.
I want the pitchfork/burning torch concession.

Ron Wanttaja

TedK
07-15-2015, 06:05 AM
Faa Administrator Huerta is scheduled for a forum on Thursday at 1130. I was going to say he was going to speak, which I suppose he will, but I am pessimistic about it's information value. I hope I am wrong.

Ron- what is the going price for a pitchfork? ;)

Ted

Mayhemxpc
07-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Ahhh... It all reminds me of a time a few years ago when my then 8 year old son was patiently explaining to my then 10 year old son that, "the EAA is the opposite of the FAA."

FlyingRon
07-15-2015, 07:48 AM
A riot is a terrible thing, so it's about time we had one.

I've not attempted a swing at an FAA administrator since Marion Blakey. She was good natured about it and we've joked about it subsequently.

Kevin O'Halloran
07-15-2015, 08:01 AM
I'll bring some black tar from Oklahoma----anyone have any feathers?
Kevin

wyoranch
07-15-2015, 10:19 AM
LOL I will head over to the chicken processing plant down the road.....

TedK
07-15-2015, 01:00 PM
I suppose Jack Pelton would call Security on us if we had physical pitchforks...even the plastic Halloween ones.

However, if everyone were to print and hold up the attached icon, exercising our First Amendment rights, that should get the message across.

wyoranch
07-15-2015, 01:05 PM
I suppose Jack Pelton would call Security on us if we had physical pitchforks...even the plastic Halloween ones.

However, if everyone were to print and hold up the attached icon exercising our First Amendment rights that should get the message across.

Unfortunately I think that the Fed would ...
A) Think we are hungry
B) Interpret it as the new EAA logo because it vaguely contains the letter E
C) Do nothing
Could go any way....

TedK
07-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Perhaps you are right, I do want to be civil in my discourse, I don't want the Feds to think I am saying "Fork You."

rwanttaja
07-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately I think that the Fed would ...
A) Think we are hungry
B) Interpret it as the new EAA logo because it vaguely contains the letter E
C) Do nothing
Could go any way....
Just add a picture of a famous Lockheed high-altitude spy aircraft after the pitchfork.

(e.g, "Fork U-2".)

Ron Wanttaja

wyoranch
07-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Just add a picture of a famous Lockheed high-altitude spy aircraft after the pitchfork.

(e.g, "Fork U-2".)

Ron Wanttaja
Holy cow I just spit my drink all over...... Thats funny!

Glenn Gordon
07-15-2015, 01:41 PM

“I will tell you this, it’s a very, very high priority.”

FAA's Huerta on Medical Certificate Reform (https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/2014-07-31-faas-huerta-on-medical-certificate-reform-its-a-high-priority)

TedK
07-15-2015, 01:57 PM

(e.g, "Fork U-2".)

Ron Wanttaja

rwanttaja
07-15-2015, 01:58 PM

“I will tell you this, it’s a very, very high priority.”

FAA's Huerta on Medical Certificate Reform (https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/2014-07-31-faas-huerta-on-medical-certificate-reform-its-a-high-priority)
In all seriousness, this is quite true: The FAA has supported the reform, it's hung up at the DOT level. It ain't the FAA's fault. Fun's fun, but ix-nay on the ork-fay for Huert-a.

Ron Wanttaja

TedK
07-15-2015, 02:14 PM
In all seriousness, this is quite true: The FAA has supported the reform, it's hung up at the DOT level. It ain't the FAA's fault. Fun's fun, but ix-nay on the ork-fay for Huert-a.

Ron Wanttaja

As much as I love to characterize the FAA as the Federals Against Aviation, the stall on Third Class Med reform is caused by DOT. I am updating my icon.

rwanttaja
07-15-2015, 05:24 PM
As much as I love to characterize the FAA as the Federals Against Aviation, the stall on Third Class Med reform is caused by DOT. I am updating my icon.

On the right track here. How about, instead, replace the word "DOT" with this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31hF7yMIWXL.jpg
Crop it to eliminate the "S" at the end....

Ron "It's not easy being evil. Kinda fun, though" Wanttaja

Mayhemxpc
07-15-2015, 05:27 PM
We need torch logos to go with the pitchforks. That might help convey the message.

Bill Greenwood
07-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Okay guys, lets not hassle Huerta since he is not the one who is the road block, but let's ask Huerta if we could get the DOT flunkie up there to answer questions.

rwanttaja
07-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Okay guys, lets not hassle Huerta since he is not the one who is the road block, but let's ask Huerta if we could get the DOT flunkie up there to answer questions.
Good suggestion, Bill.

Ron Wanttaja

TedK
07-16-2015, 05:27 AM
I understand that DOT has recently interviewed some folks for the Secretary's Senior Assistant on Aviation (or similar title). I think they are going to name the replacement in August. I don't know if the position is currently gapped, but this could be part of the slow down.

I do know one of the Interviewees is GA friendly.

Bill Greenwood
07-16-2015, 07:50 AM
Tedk, a skeptic might think they are taking time to weed out any aviation friendly candidates.

tech10002
07-16-2015, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to give Huerta a pass. This is just my opinion, and you know what opinions are like..., but I think it might have gone something like this: (Administrator Huerta to Sec Foxx) "Hey Foxxy we have these irritating people over at the alphabet groups and this pushy senator trying to pass this legislation for 3rd class medical reform. We just can't have a bunch of pilots flying around without their CPAP machines and permanent CAMI rectal probe, so let's throw them a bone and draft a secret rule to make em think we're doin something. Just let it languish in review for the next decade. That'll take the air out of that pesky PBOR2."

Seriously, though, is a collusion between FAA and DOT really that far of a stretch? Furthermore, if the FAA really wanted reform, why not just grant the exemption we asked for years ago to give us some relief NOW. Huerta could do that with the stroke of a pen, no NPRM or DOT review required. Then just remove the exemption once the final rule was in effect.

Don't put away the tar and pitchforks just yet.

rwanttaja
07-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Seriously, though, is a collusion between FAA and DOT really that far of a stretch?

It's certainly a possibility. But then you have to consider, "Why"? If Huerta didn't want the reform, why couldn't the FAA just say "no"? His isn't an elected position; he doesn't have to fool the voters. Why collaborate with the DOT to secretly quash the reform efforts, when there's no downside to him doing it himself?

For that matter, what's in it for the DOT head to make it look like his fault instead of Huerta's? That's why you have underlings, to TAKE the fall.

Having been once sued for conspiracy (falsely), I have kind of a high bar for attributing actions to collusion like this. Besides, *&^%$ flows downhill, not uphill. The DOT boss asking an underling (Huerta) to take the heat for an unpopular action would be logical. The DOT boss willing to take the heat so an underling doesn't look bad, doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, if the FAA really wanted reform, why not just grant the exemption we asked for years ago to give us some relief NOW. Huerta could do that with the stroke of a pen, no NPRM or DOT review required. Then just remove the exemption once the final rule was in effect.

Remember, the reform push is coming from Congress... the FAA never would have instituted it without legislative direction. They have a choice of defying Congress (and potentially getting cited for contempt) or nodding, agreeing it's a GREAT idea, and signing off on it. Even so, Huerta doesn't have direct control over the rules; he has to follow the federal process, which includes NPRMs and approval by his boss (DOT head).

The head of the DOT is a Cabinet Secretary...for a President who's quite unpopular with the folks on the other side of the aisle who helped push THROUGH the acts requiring reform. Sure seems to me, if he wanted to block the will of Congress, that the DOT Secretary would try to deflect criticism by putting the blame on the lower-level agency (FAA)...rather than the other way around.

So when the word is that the DOT is holding up the reform, my interpretation is that the DOT folks have their own agenda they're working (one serious enough to risk a tussle with Congress), not trying somehow to cover for the FAA.

Ron Wanttaja