PDA

View Full Version : What to take?

Biyu
07-13-2015, 11:38 AM
We're going camping again but this year it seems like it's gonna cost 3x what it did last year (part week to full week changed jobs too seems like making less but I'm just working less)

so what kind/foods would you pack? We will have a cooler but it's just likely to be a smaller Coleman or that type and if I know my mom at all no matter how many millions of times I say "leave the windows vented" (excess heat can get out) she will leave them UP! So I'm not expecting our food to last all week at all

also how many water bottles would yall suggest taking? I'm thinking 2-3 I don't drink near what I should be like ever and I know that only gets worse in kosh so 2 full should keep me drinking

the plan is likely to be a repeat of last year: I go in every day do what I want meet up with mom outside later on and we board the dogs so we can both go inside for a day --she loved last year and had a ton of fun

also wondering camera/setup for night airshow we have a few (d40 and d80 are mine mom has a d5100 or something like it and a cannon t3) the main issues are shutter and I was moving the camera too much and no I'm not taking a tripod in for it last year I used the d40 ID love to get the fireworks and see atleast a little of the plane itself with like when sparklers from wing tips are going sort or that (hope yall understand)

we we do have a small table that were taking with and the battery pack is charging ATM plus my car can be used as well it will have a tow rope in it or atleast some 550 (it got stuck last year and it's a baby SUV) we have umbrellas packed my basic kits always packed we have ponchos packed tho I think I'll be able to get a couple more honestly ATM I half wish my dog could carry stuff and be trained as an assistance dog --we were in overflow like 1 block past the dog walk area last year and both dogs were perfectly fine with all the noises and everything we arrived on Wednesday and caught some of the night airshow over the trees the thunderbirds didn't bother them one bit that i know of (mom was mostly with them) and I know my dog in a block party environment was just fine (uwm book store grand re-opening) she gets in crowded stuff and as long as I'm fine (90+%) she is fine she will get more careful and focus on me more but she also listens to my directions too (no I'm not gonna try it more saying some dogs are fine I know rules) but I've thrown every test I can think of at her the flash bang was what got her there was something loosely like I think I know that flash bang was the worst on her (oh yea the tyre getting changed car getting dropped not lowered she darted to her little brother that time --when we took him to a daycare she was freaking cause I was leaving he was going with well lol take her with to see she is happy lol she is a 1 of a kind dog

aside from the grill and foods and given (tent chairs mattresses sleeping stuff) anything else yall think I should pack? Anything that once I have I'll never go without?

Oh are sparklers by chance allowed in camp? I'm guessing not with possible generators in the area (dogs aren't terrified I think I'd be using to light the broiler on our grill anyway as I don't know where to put a lighter like a bic)

if im missing anything please ask lol but we're trying to learn every time we camp (oh car always has dog bags as does my purse and 2 of our leashes) but this is a different sort of monster and I doubt we will be starting a fire for marshmallows if we do tho I know we will need a way to contain it and that

Joe Delene
07-14-2015, 04:45 AM
At least with a vehicle you can re supply locally as needed. It seems you may have an RV or camping trailer? If so you are living large compared to a tent. I like my Honda 2000 generator when there is no power available.

FlyingRon
07-14-2015, 05:24 AM
Yep, big ol' super Walmart just a couple of miles up highway 41.

Don't forget bug spray and sunscreen. The mosquito is the state bird of Wisconsin.

A small wagon with decent (perhaps pneumatic) wheels makes lugging kids and stuff round.

Jim Hann
07-14-2015, 06:27 AM
My original starting point back in the 1990s (hence the reference to FILM)

ChecklistThings that come in handy at OSH:
· tie down stakes and rope
· comfortable walking shoes
· small backpack
· sunscreen
· water bottle
· light snacks
· money
· plastic sheet/tarp
· duct tape
· extra rope
· lightweight cardboard for signs
· marking pens
· money
· extra copies of NOTAM (http://www.faa.gov/oshkosh/notam.html) for OSH
· camera
· film (three times what you think you'll need)
· batteries
· poncho
· money
· lightweight cooler
· lightweight folding chair(s)
· video camera
· flip flops/thongs
· EAA membership card
· extra tent stakes
· aspirin/ibuprofen/acetaminophen
· extra toilet paper
· jacket
· mosquito repellent
· hat
· bandanna
· money
· small umbrella
· extra dry socks
· money

AirVenture Survival Guide
The Top Ten

Crowds watch the air show from the flight line.

For those who love aviation, Oshkosh is the place to be from July 26-Aug. 1. Like a pilgrimage, hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts will descend upon Wittman Field and the EAA AirVenture grounds to saturate themselves in their passion for flight. Take it from AirVenture veterans, though; you should adopt the Boy Scout motto and “Be Prepared” so you can maximize your enjoyment of this annual event.
This article provides some fast and easy tips that have proven their worth over the years for AirVenture attendees. For your convenience, we’ve condensed them into a top 10 list for a more pleasant AirVenture experience.
1. Apply sunscreen: One thing is for sure: Sunscreen works. Make sure you cover exposed areas of your body with at least an SPF 15. If you bring children, don’t forget to cover them as well.
2. Bring a pair of comfortable shoes. Take good care of your feet. Wear the most comfortable walking shoes you have. Just truckin’ around the grounds can add up to several miles over the course of one day.
3. Wear a hat. Temperatures can range anywhere from the 60s to the 90s, but AirVenture always seems to have a stretch of very hot, humid weather. On such days, a hat can provide some protection from overheating. If, for some reason, you forget to bring one, there will be plenty of official AirVenture 2000 hats available. (If you’re watching the air show from the flight line, the back of your neck will likely be fully exposed to the afternoon sun. A bandana tucked under the back of your cap can provide an effective sun block.)
4. Use lip balm. Not many people think of this, but bring some Chapstick, Blistex or other brand and apply often to prevent the sun from turning your lips into leather.
5. Wear sunglasses. A fairly obvious item on your checklist, one for which your eyes will thank you. A neck strap also comes in handy.
6. Check the forecast. If there’s a chance of rain during the day, be prepared with a light jacket or poncho, a small umbrella, and an extra pair of socks.
7. Drink lots of water/bring a water bottle. Dehydration can be a problem for even the heartiest AirVenture attendees, especially on those oppressively hot afternoons. Nothing prevents dehydration as well as water, and bottled water is available at the many concession areas. You can make plenty of use of the many water fountains located throughout the grounds. Don’t rely on soda pop to prevent dehydration. (Alcohol actually hastens the process.)
8. Organize your visit. Take advantage of all the information available before you get here. Since you’re reading this, you’re at the right place - www.AirVenture.org (http://www.AirVenture.org). For example, if you plan to attend some of the hundreds of forums, check out our new page (http://www.airventure.org/forums/default.asp) that allows you to view the forum schedule by date, interest, keyword or presenter.
9. Bring a camera and lots of film. Be sure to check your battery, and it’s not a bad idea to have extras just to be safe. A good rule of thumb is to bring two more rolls of film than you plan to shoot. If you bring a video camera, make sure you have an extra tape and at least one fully charged spare battery.
10. A few don’ts:
· When you’re near aircraft, the rule is: "Always ask before touching."
· For safety’s sake, eating and smoking are not allowed in the flight line or near airplanes. In fact, if you’ve been thinking about quitting smoking, this would be a good time to do it.
· Although many have tried, it is literally impossible to see everything in one day, much less a week. Pace yourself, and focus on what really interests you.
Please remember that rules and regulations exist to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment. If you have any questions, just ask a volunteer, without whom AirVenture would not be possible
Finally, we hope you enjoy your visit to AirVenture Oshkosh 2000. By heeding these few bits of advice, you’ll be well on your way.

If you made it to the bottom, the short answer is as long as you have transportation and a credit card you can find anything you forget (at least early in the week!)

FlyingRon
07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
I need less cash than I used to. Everything takes plastic these days.

All you need to be is an EAA member. Just about everyone who cares (except perhaps the EAA member discount at certain food tents) can look up your number for you (certainly registration can). I've had my EAA number memorized for years and that's all they need anyhow.

Smoking is not permitted ANYWHERE not specifically authorized (you can usually tell these as they are full of smokers and ashtrays). There's no longer a distinction between the "flight line" and any other part of "inside the gates" at the show.

Biyu
07-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Ok should have been a tad clearer

DIGITAL cameras my point-n-shoot keeps like a 4 gig card my d40 keeps an 8 gig card and once I have the adapter I'll have a 16 gig card kept with the d80 (messy my camera I baught it from mom but she holds it we take it anywhere I get priority if I want it aside she still has/can use it)

in the case of the d40 that's a 6 megapixel camera (about like my phone lol) in a whole year with our going out and shooting INCLUDING kosh and the 6-8 thousand pics in one day (yes exaggerating was really only 3k if that including airshows) I have not managed to max out the sd card on it same deal with the point-n-shoot which I think was like 8/10 megs more megs then the d40 cards half the size and despite my best efforts I have yet to max it (both Nikon) so I know I should be good if somehow both get full I've got a 128 gig iPhone 6 and enough apps I could delete to get space lol

aside from that we are tent camping (which will take up space in the car) my car is what I call a "baby SUV" it's a Kia Soul (only one I saw last year but seems they keep getting more popular) and I truly love my car! The only issue I have is that it got stuck in the mud last year but that's why I try to keep a row cable in it failing that some 550 or cord to rig something up

despite working 3rd shift only my head smokes from stupidity (person I live with need examples?)

i I think I said but this is not my first trip up nor first time camping will be like 4th trip 2nd time camping there (oh and btw 10 person tent lol)

on the mosquitoes I actually have never had an issue with them at kosh and there 3x larger in Alaska or were when I was like 8 and up there

as for Walmart we actually slept in there lot once that exact one I had the windows vented dogs were with us mine was getting annoyied turned out she just wanted to get covered up lol it's a good memory lol

as for power aside from my car to charge phones I'll have this car jump box thing that has plugs on it thing is cigarette lighter bit seems 1/8" too large for all of my stuff for my car so have to get that sorted out but it's how we fill our airbeds and essientally live lol I think it will be fine for the week and if it's low I have an extension and inverter with my car so we can charge it or computers or whatever (not planning on taking computers tho)

In time I'd like to get a trailer hitch on my car but it's not there yet or I'd have likely made a little trailer or gotten one lol

i did a duffle my first or 2nd year and that worked great to carry the TONS of free stuff and I always knew my pens too lol but I think unless taking a true ton a wagon would be a little more annoying atleast to/for me a backpack would prolly work ok (except I'll have my cameras in the eaa sling can fit d40 2 lenses and point-n-shoot comfortably)

i do keep my car pretty well kitted too jump leads blankets tons of dog stuff a good med kit and survival pack which I've been able to start a fire from and impressed my mom that time my hope is I'll not need to use most of what I carry but it's saved us and outhers too many times just the jump leads for example you can imagine them no? Used 5-6 times sence 2013

hope that can help? (Med kit has burn gel and sunblock in because she needs and I don't use)