PDA

View Full Version : Scholler tickets for Airplane camping?

TedK
07-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Can Tickets purchased for Camp Scholler camping be used for airplane camping in the North 40 (GAC)?

Thanks

ted

FlyingRon
07-12-2015, 12:30 PM
There doesn't appear to be any difference in the credentials. In fact, they give you the "put this in the vehicle window" sticker which I couldn't ever figure out what the point was until I camped in Scholler and realized it was to put on the CAR so I could get in and out. You do need to attach the "attach this to the camping unit" to your tent.

You should go back to registration if you buy your credentials elsewhere and let them know your name and where you are parked. Makes it handy if somoene needs to find you. They used to give out little cards you could drop in strageically placed mailboxes, but now they put it in the computer.

Jim Hann
07-13-2015, 01:26 PM
You should go back to registration if you buy your credentials elsewhere and let them know your name and where you are parked. Makes it handy if somoene needs to find you. They used to give out little cards you could drop in strageically placed mailboxes, but now they put it in the computer.

Yep, the days of standing in line for a payphone. That was when somebody (security I would assume) would come look for you if someone called with an urgent message. Of course unless you had given everyone all that info they wouldn't have known where to call!

Based on a conversation I had with somebody a few years ago the Locator Cards were rarely being turned back in.

FlyingRon
07-13-2015, 07:30 PM
It helps when you do. We've been on the "hunt this guy down" patrol in vintage. We check aircraft registration to see if he actually registered (easier with the campers as the ladies in the registration building are pretty good about asking them where their plane is). Otherwise we end up scooting up and down the rows looking for the guy.

Ace0007
07-14-2015, 08:36 AM
So please consider this a minor complaint but it does add up. I'm renting a DA40 and flying me and my boys from Denver. It will be my second trip and their first so they are very excited. I'm probably looking at about $1800 in plane rental costs, $236 for the OSH tickets, $182 in camping fees to park the plane in a field and camp in a tent. Don't even want to think about costs of food and other items there although we will bring some and maybe go shopping. Obviously the big ticket item is the flight time but adding on the other costs I don't think I'd fly in again for a while. Would be much cheaper to tow the camper from Denver but giving the kids the experience of flying in will be great.

I know it costs a lot of put on Airventure so I can't fault them too much for all the fees but it will impact how I attend in the future or how often I attend.

My two cents..

FlyingRon
07-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Camping is cheaper than area hotels. Your plane parks for free.