PDA

View Full Version : Pet Sitting at Airventure?

Cattflight
07-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Howdy dog lovers!
We are making a stop at Airventure this year (6th year in a row since we started!). We will have our adult Shih Tzu with us and, though we know we cannot bring him to the convention grounds, my wife and I still want to head over together for a few hours here and there.
Does anyone know of any pet sitting or day care options within Camp Scholler? We don't want to leave him alone in the RV nor drive him over to some day care facility off grounds if we can avoid it. We've tried Sitter City, but it seems no one wants to deal with getting in/out of Oshkosh for just a few hours of pet sitting time.
Recommendations?

Bill Greenwood
07-09-2015, 06:36 PM
It seems you are very attached to your dog. But Airventure is a very noisy place, worse so on the weekend with more jets flying. Many animals are frightened by the noise, especially as they have more acute hearing than people. I don't know what a Shin Tzu is, but if it is a small yip yap type dog, it is likely to be more excitable. It can also be very hot and have storms with thunder.

Wouldn't the dog be happier at home with friends or relatives or in a quality boarding place for the week?
And give you more freedom to enjoy the convention.

strangebird
07-10-2015, 07:38 AM
We camp with our RV and have brought our dogs for years and no problems, get a crate or small pen for your dog to stay in while you are on the grounds, we do that too and the dogs are just fine with it, the airplane noise in the Generator/ Pet area of Camp Scholler is not bad at all, the highway is noisier, your dog should be fine for a few hours. You would not believe how many dogs come with to Airventure there are lots of them, all sizes and breeds. During the day it is pretty quiet in the campgrounds. If you have a barker find a place away from other campers if you like.

It seems you are very attached to your dog. But Airventure is a very noisy place, worse so on the weekend with more jets flying. Many animals are frightened by the noise, especially as they have more acute hearing than people. I don't know what a Shin Tzu is, but if it is a small yip yap type dog, it is likely to be more excitable. It can also be very hot and have storms with thunder.

Wouldn't the dog be happier at home with friends or relatives or in a quality boarding place for the week?
And give you more freedom to enjoy the convention.

Zack Baughman
07-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Just be aware of the night airshows on Wednesday and Saturday as they include a rather large (and loud) fireworks show that may frighten your dog(s).

Bill Greenwood
07-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Strangebird, remember a dog doesn't have ear plugs, they can't put their hands over their ears and they have more sensitive hearing. As for traffic on the highway, I have driven 41 for 35 years and there are a few noisy trucks, but no Harriers or F16s or worse F22s on the highway, and no loud explosions.
I know that lots of people may bring dogs, but I also seen people who bring kids, even infants with no hat, no sunglasses and no shade. The fact that someone else is blase doesn't make it right.
And you say to lock a dog in a cage for hours doing the day. That might be ok on a cool cloudy day, but what about a 95* day in bright sun? I doubt if your cage is air conditioned.
And I know it is illegal to lock a child unattended in a hot car, I would not be surprised if it is also illegal to do that to an animal.

Cattflight
07-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the comments, folks. As I mentioned in my OP, we have been to Airventure numerous times, so I am familiar with the noise issues both during the day and for the nighttime air show. We are, indeed, attached to our dog and though he is small, he is neither "yip-yappy" nor a barker. He's extremely well-behaved and, with a sitter at the RV, he'd have the opportunity to get away from the heat and noise, and get some AC with the onboard generator running. (Again, under supervision). He flies with us regularly (with homemade custom ear protection) and he's coming with us on this trip because it's not our only stop.

Which leads me back to my original question....does anyone know of any folks that offer pet sitting services in Camp Scoller?

BeagleOne
07-10-2015, 08:25 PM
I've been disturbed in recent years by seeing several dogs on the grounds, with owners claiming they were service dogs. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. The poodle who was dyed pink and blue and looking very nervous...well, let's just say I was suspicious. I don't think the grounds are a good place for a dog, with all of the noise, crowds, and heat, although if someone truly needs a service dog I'm sure they can figure out what works well for them and their dog. If your RV is air-conditioned and has good insulation, and you leave a TV or radio on to mask at least some of the noise, it might be okay for your dog. You could also look at things like Dog Appeasement Pheromone (Comfort Zone), which comes in a spray or a dispenser you can plug in like an air freshener. (I'm a vet, BTW.)

Is your dog microchipped? Might be a good idea in case the worst happens and he gets away from you.

Maybe I should open a fly-in pet-sitting service! Hmmm....

Cattflight
07-11-2015, 07:54 AM
My dog is microchipped but he is neither pink nor blue. He is not a service dog and we are not taking him into the convention grounds. He will merely stay at the RV and go on walks. Like a dog.

We bring our dog to our airport all the time. He flies with us all the time. He came along to watch the Thunderbirds perform right overhead. He watches fireworks with us. He is totally chill. Noises do not effect him any more than they do us.

But, again, not what I am asking about. I am merely asking if anyone knows of pet sitting option in Camp Scholler.

wyoranch
07-11-2015, 08:22 AM
I wish I could help. I can tell you last year I stayed in Appleton and brought our dog with us. We found a doggie daycare up there. They were wonderful. By the last day when we picked our corgi up, as we were heading to the car she was looking over her shoulder at her new friends. I will try to find the name of the place if anyone would like it. They had a vet on staff as well as a groomer. The staff was fantastic.
rick

FlyingRon
07-11-2015, 08:34 AM
We're taking our bird to "summer camp" (what we call the border). We probably could have gotten away with having her at Oshkosh, but what's the point.

Cattflight
07-13-2015, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the productive feedback, Rick. That's certainly a good alternative for us for daytime activities. But most doggie day cares out there seem to close the doors by 6pm or so, and some of the evening OSH activities start right round then.

wyoranch
07-13-2015, 08:10 AM
That was the only issue we ran into. The one we used closed at 6pm. They did open at 6am so we just got an early start and by 5pm we were done for the day so we were ready to get off our feet.

Zack Baughman
07-13-2015, 10:17 AM
http://www.yellowpages.com/oshkosh-wi/pet-boarding-kennels

https://www.sittercity.com/pet-sitting/wi/oshkosh

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oshkosh-Unleashed-Pet-Sitting-and-Dog-Walking/195796256365

http://petsitter.com/pet-sitters/oshkosh,wisconsin?utm_campaign=&utm_domain=google.com&utm_medium=search&utm_source=Google&utm_term=

mazdaP5
07-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Are there any community boards at the campground that you might find some services? I see tons of bored teens roaming the campgrounds that look as if they would like to earn a buck.

turtle
07-13-2015, 11:10 AM
What's the problem of leaving him alone in the RV for a few hours? When we had our two collies there we left them in the motorhome with the A/C blasting for a few hours at a time. They preferred it to being outside in the heat.

wyoranch
07-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Are there any community boards at the campground that you might find some services? I see tons of bored teens roaming the campgrounds that look as if they would like to earn a buck.

Very good idea......

Cattflight
07-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Very good idea......

Yes. Good idea. I'll look around on the boards if we don't find anything by then.

strangebird
07-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Strangebird, remember a dog doesn't have ear plugs, they can't put their hands over their ears and they have more sensitive hearing. As for traffic on the highway, I have driven 41 for 35 years and there are a few noisy trucks, but no Harriers or F16s or worse F22s on the highway, and no loud explosions.
I know that lots of people may bring dogs, but I also seen people who bring kids, even infants with no hat, no sunglasses and no shade. The fact that someone else is blase doesn't make it right.
And you say to lock a dog in a cage for hours doing the day. That might be ok on a cool cloudy day, but what about a 95* day in bright sun? I doubt if your cage is air conditioned.
And I know it is illegal to lock a child unattended in a hot car, I would not be surprised if it is also illegal to do that to an animal.

Bill:

Sounds like you just don't want dogs in the campground and I never ever said anything about leaving a dog in the hot sun, or in a car you really should not be making inference that you have no clue about and I have been in that campground for years it is not that noisy there from the airplanes.

strangebird
07-14-2015, 08:53 AM
See your private message we will watch your dog for you on Monday the 20th or Tuesday the 21st or both we will be in Camp Scholler with our Class A RV