PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Airventure

LooneyBird
07-07-2015, 11:35 AM
OK, so this will be my second Airventure, last year was the last 3 days, this year is all week. I will have my 3 kids with me sans the wife. I am currently planning on making sandwiches before we enter and bringing water bottles. Is this allowed? Is there a "no outside food" rule?

Thank you for your information.

Low Pass
07-07-2015, 12:25 PM
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/about-eaa-airventure-oshkosh/policies/prohibited-items

RC Gregg
07-07-2015, 09:05 PM
We stay at camp Scholler and usually head back to our campsite for lunch these days, but EAA personnel at the gates have always been very easy going when my kids were little and My wife and I brought in a stroller or wagon with drinks and food for the kids.

krw920
07-08-2015, 08:19 AM
We have done this in the past, but leave the food at the car in the parking lot and head back there at lunch and picnic at the car.

CarlOrton
07-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Food and drink (subject to the limitations above) are always welcome. While it''s easier for me since there's no kids involved, I prep my lunch each AM; I'll make up a sandwich and store it in one of those rigid plastic sandwich cases that you can find in WalMart or sporting goods stores. I throw that, a small bag o' chips, and a water bottle in my backpack and it's really no issue to carry around with me.

LooneyBird
07-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Thank you all. Last year I took them around the forums, then to kidventure. On the way back from kidventure to the forums, I finally realized how big the place was. I would dread a walk to the campgrounds. A nice gentleman from Kestrel gave us a ride when I was dying on that walk to the forums. I can't thank him enough.

If I can bring lunch in, the kids can have a small pack if they want to, and I can clip it to mine. 11, 8 and 7 are thier ages so they should be good to help.

My excitement is building. Thanks for the confirmation that I was within the rules.

spongebobiwan
07-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Fortunately, whether it be by trams (free) or by busses (also free), you can manage to make your way around the entire site, including the campground, with not really a whole lot of walking.

Bill Greenwood
07-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Looneybird, if you want cold water, virtually every food vendor sells it. And there are some free drinking fountains also, I think. The Dairy Queen in the middle, north to south has decent hamburgers if the kids like them. The DQ down at the exibit hangars only has hot dogs, which are not great and not healthy.
Pioneer Field and behind the museum has some good things for kids. The 7 year old may get pretty tired, the 11 year old boy should love it. Someone on her or another forum was talking about bringing his 11 year old daughter. Remember good sun hats, sun glasses and sun block and comfortable shoes and clean socks. I'd give each some spending money if they should get separated and a meeting place.

Don't know about you Russ, but I walk a ton during the week. Trams just don't go everywhere and are often full.

Joe Delene
07-09-2015, 05:05 AM
Yes, I make use of the water fountain refills.

spongebobiwan
07-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Bill,

You are right, of course, there can still be a lot of walking in spite of busses and trams. I didn't mean to suggest that there would be none. I was merely trying to make the point that a long walk, as suggested, all the way from Kidventure to the campgrounds really isn't necessary as there are means to do that without that long of a walk. If one is patient and is willing to stop and wait for a moment or perhaps a few moments, eventually a tram or bus will come along going in the direction you want to go. Patience being the operative word in that sentence of course. I am disabled and not able to get around very well. Consequently, I am forced to be patient and I use those waiting times to visit with new friends (or old). Of course, I'm old now and not really in as much of a hurry to get someplace as i was when I was younger.

Now, back to the webcams to see if I can figure out what that swarm of insects is buzzing around the warbird webcam. :-)

Mayhemxpc
07-10-2015, 10:59 AM
On my second trip my children were 13, 8, and 6. They were good troopers and have come three of the four trips since then. Mom took them away from the airshow mid-week for some swimming and a side trip to Baraboo. It was a good break. They love Kidventure every year. Water is essential -- the kids need to stay hydrated, with sunscreen and hats. Last year some of the water fountains were removed, so find out where they still are and fill your bottles whenever you pass a fountain. Keep them hydrated and fed (healthy snacks) and you will probably find out they will walk farther than you. (I have bad knees but I make up for that by being stubborn...and generous amounts of Advil.) Last year we used trams whenever reasonably available and still averaged (according to my fitness app) 10 miles of walking every day.

FlyingRon
07-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Now, back to the webcams to see if I can figure out what that swarm of insects is buzzing around the warbird webcam. :-)
I guess it's too early for it to be the replica fighters :)

LooneyBird
07-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Thank you all!! Iam very excited for this year. We loved and used the water fountians last year. I was there early on a volunteer weekend seeing them get delivered. My oldest got lost then. My boy got lost at kidventure. Luckily I had made laminated cards with thier name and my phone number on them. So they were recovered quickly. My boy lost his, but Ford had a button making station so we easily replaced it and he didn't lose the botton.

I have high octane kids, so waiting is a chore. I try to walk it out of them, but they have more energy than I do. Luckily all my joints work fine, so no need to take up a seat you all might need.

Last year was easy on them, we went for 3 days, the hotest ones it seemed. They had a good time. In the ride home my 11yo daughter asked how long the show went for. I said a week. Jumping in her seat, she asked if next year we could go for the whole week. Gotta love that girl! She made my trip right then and set me up for an eventful year of waiting. The excitement is mounting in our house.

Hope to see you there. You'll know me, I am the one hearding cats.