PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't EAA AirVenture have this?

Wrongway Feldman
07-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Years ago as a rookie, when I start attending the annual EAA AirVenture convention.
I had no idea how-to find my way around the vast EAA AirVenture grounds.
It took me three conventions to figure out how everything was laid out.

If you put yourself into the shoes of a newcomer and you had a hard time finding your way around.
Would you want to come back the next year?

So, here is my proposal.
There is a need for an orientation tent, for new AirVenture attendees.
Something like a looping 15-20 minute video of how-to navigate the entire EAA AirVenture grounds.
Example: Buy wristband, enter main gate, enter orientation tent near main gate.

I know of the Welcome Center at the northeast corner of Knapp St. and Celebration Way.
But that seems to be to far from the main gate and only has general information.

The orientation tent would help to ensure the return of AirVenture attendees to the annual EAA AirVenture convention.
And to help continue the existence of the Association.

Mike M
07-06-2015, 04:36 PM
App + smartphone = orientation in the palm of your hand. they did it last year. don't see one for this year on google play .......... yet ..................

Wrongway Feldman
07-06-2015, 05:12 PM
App + smartphone = orientation in the palm of your hand. they did it last year. don't see one for this year on google play .......... yet ..................I don't think the Airventure App would be as efficient as a 15-20 minute video.
Especially if it is your 1st time.
A full motion aerial video with zoom in labeling of key areas of the entire grounds and how to navigate,
would give a 1st timer the bigger picture of all the action.
Then after that switch over to the Airventure App. to gain more detail.

Mayhemxpc
07-06-2015, 07:06 PM
I agree about the orientation feature AND an app. I think even more experienced visitors would go, especially if there is a "what's new" part. The information tent, although nice, does not do what it does now and by the time a newbie makes it there, they have already (to quote Daniel Boone) "been a bit bewildered" perhaps even for Boone's three days.

Of course something like this can't be done for 2015, but is it something that cane be done for 2016?

Wrongway Feldman
07-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I agree about the orientation feature AND an app. I think even more experienced visitors would go, especially if there is a "what's new" part. A "what's new" part, Would be a great addition to the navigation video.
Improvements and changes to the EAA AirVenture grounds.
Is one of first things I look forward to every year.
The "what's new" part would help experienced visitors tremendously.
Some people going to the convention only have one day to attend, so time is at a premium.

L16 Pilot
07-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Believe it or not a lot of folks (including me) don't have 'smart phones'. I actually only have a Trac phone with no 'apps'. How will I ever exist??

Mayhemxpc
07-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Next thing you will be trying to make us believe you still use paper charts…maybe even Dalton's Ded-reckoning computer.:)

dclaxon
07-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Believe it or not a lot of folks (including me) don't have 'smart phones'.

Same here. My flip phone is barely smart enough to make a phone call consistently. But it is a Mil-spec ruggedized phone, and is the first one I've owned that outlived the 2 year contract I had to sign to get it, and I intend to hang onto it as long as it lives.

Dave

Kevin O'Halloran
07-08-2015, 10:28 AM
this will be my 21st straight year of going to Oshkosh
damn if I don't still have a hard time finding stuff
BUT while searching--I run across new stuff !!!
Its always an "adventure"!!!!!!

dougbush
07-09-2015, 01:06 AM
It took me three conventions to figure out how everything was laid out.
Didn't you get the free map upon arrival? The map shows how everything is laid out, and is much better than an orientation tent with looping video, because you can take a map with you and refer to it as needed.

That said, I think the maps have room for improvement. (Meaning prior years' maps--I haven't seen this year's.)

Joe Delene
07-09-2015, 05:03 AM
That brochure they give you has all the vendors listed, maps, the forums and everything else. I'd just start by looking there. We all have different interests, one likes this, the next likes that. Of course there is usually a volunteer with a vest and badge not far away to ask too.

Not really knocking the idea though.

Wrongway Feldman
07-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Didn't you get the free map upon arrival? The map shows how everything is laid out, and is much better than an orientation tent with looping video, because you can take a map with you and refer to it as needed.
That said, I think the maps have room for improvement. (Meaning prior years' maps--I haven't seen this year's.) dougbush,
You have a good point with the map.
There is something about a looping video that can, in a short time, explain clearly how to navigate (get around) the grounds.
Kind of like a picture is worth a thousand words.
A video is worth a million and more.
It is all about efficiency and how to experience what AirVenture has offer, in a easy explainable manner in the shortest possible time.
Most people would embrace learning something, if it only takes 15 -20 minutes.
Especially if they just paid $45 for it.

Orientation - A course introducing a new situation or environment

That brochure they give you has all the vendors listed, maps, the forums and everything else. I'd just start by looking there. We all have different interests, one likes this, the next likes that. Of course there is usually a volunteer with a vest and badge not far away to ask too.
Not really knocking the idea though.Joe Delene,
Thanks for not knocking the idea.
Human interaction cannot be underestimated, heck that is the real reason I like AirVenture.
With all these electronic gadgets, it seems like us humans are interacting less with each other.
If they would give me a tent and big screen projector, I would volunteer to run the Orientation tent myself.

dougbush
07-09-2015, 01:58 PM
If they would give me a tent and big screen projector, I would volunteer to run the Orientation tent myself.

How about just putting the video on the AirVenture website so we could get orientated before we get there?

MEdwards
07-09-2015, 05:11 PM
How about just putting the video on the AirVenture website so we could get orientated before we get there?That's a good idea, but it shouldn't replace Feldman's idea of a dedicated orientation tent just inside the gate. I'll bet the proportion of people visiting the physical site who spend much time on the web site first is still very small.

Mike E