PDA

View Full Version : Quiet time in vintage camping. If and how enforced?

Bailey47b
07-03-2015, 03:30 PM
After a full day at the show I'm beat and want to get a good night sleep (as best that one can do with a tent). This is going to sound/come off as me being a dull no fun person... I'm not - I have observed a disturbing trend in the last few years in vintage camping of more and more groups not observing the 10PM quiet time curfew. I've read the rules and understand there is a 10PM curfew but I have never observed it being enforced. One group that comes to mind is the Pirates Cove folks. I like to have fun, but having to listen to their PA system blasting music until midnight is not my idea of friendly good neighbors. One year I thought that the curfew was going to be enforced when I saw an EAA vehicle stop at the site - but they were there to join in! I guess that in general our society has become more and more less friendly and civil.

Here's the question. Whats EAA position on quiet time in Vintage? If I'm told no loud noises after 10PM, then please have someone explain why the Pirates Cove folks are allowed to operate outside of the rules year after year? Also what can I do, who do I contact (that can take action in a timely basis), if the tent next to me decides to party into the wee hours of the morning?

Thanks.

coming to Oshkosh since 1986.

FlyingRon
07-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Vintage has its own security force. Pirates Cove is a perennial problem. The others have pretty much been put out of business by these _______. We used to have a nice folk music singalong back where the judges trailers were but PC ruined that one. The only other real noisy group is the Metro Warbirds guys and they're usually pretty remote to the action.

Yes it is TEN PM and I suggest you complain to security (during the post-8PM hours) and to the chairmen (during 9AM-8PM). The chairmen can usually be found for you if you stop by the vintage flight line operations building catty-corner across the road from the Hangar Cafe.

rw2
07-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Ear plugs are a must for OSH IMO. Not excusing anyones behavior, just being practical.

Low Pass
07-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Ear plugs are a must for OSH IMO. Not excusing anyones behavior, just being practical.
Second this. Staying on-airport, better bring ear plugs. Or sleep wearing your headset. Not meaning to knock participants having fun. I just like to sleep when I want to sleep.

The early morning flights, music from the beer tent, etc. are just the sounds of Oshkosh that I remember when I'm thinking about coming/going back.

familyfly
07-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Vintage has its own security force. Pirates Cove is a perennial problem. The others have pretty much been put out of business by these _____. We used to have a nice folk music singalong back where the judges trailers were but PC ruined that one. The only other real noisy group is the Metro Warbirds guys and they're usually pretty remote to the action.

Yes it is TEN PM and I suggest you complain to security (during the post-8PM hours) and to the chairmen (during 9AM-8PM). The chairmen can usually be found for you if you stop by the vintage flight line operations building catty-corner across the road from the Hangar Cafe.
My family and I have been camping just west of pirates cove for seven years.great bunch of folks.they always are there to help with our tent ,and always offer hot coffee in the morning.I've personally seen their head honcho hurt some peoples feelings by telling people to lower their voices at around 9:45.they seem to be respectful of the rules.the only noise I hear after 10 pm is the fly in theater and the slamming of the porto-lets.disrespect comes in many different forms.hey...hasnt this bunch been in a couple of feature eaa videos? Maybe they will play some john Denver this year and everybody will be happy.my advice is to get to know these folks.they will enhance your experience.

moodychief
07-06-2015, 09:44 PM
After 26 years of marriage, my wife finally consented to goto Oshkosh last year. We had the goodfortune of having our camping spot being close to the Pirate’s Cove. Wefelt like fish out of water as we did not know anyone at Airventure but leftwith new friends that live all over the globe. The families that make up Pirate’s Cove (nothooligans as some may imply) were very polite and inviting. We witnessed them methodically closing theircamp at 10:00 and everyone in bed around 10:30. They were up bright and early taking the kids to build wings, attendseminars or performing volunteer duties to marshal planes.
We experienced the same noise until midnight but it wasn’tfrom Pirate’s Cove as it was the volume booming from the Fly-In Theater. The predominant NW wind carried the soundvery well. In addition, we heard voicesof people finding their way back from the beer tent or other festivities. By camping out, we expected and welcomed theentire experience…noise and all. Wecould have stayed at a hotel but there is nothing like waking to radial enginesrumbling early in the morning. Somepeople may complain about engine noises so early in the morning but…that is thesound of Oshkosh.
Airventure is “The World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration.” What we saw and experienced was old and newfriends celebrating aviation. Oshkosh isa place for polite jovial jousting on how much better their Beech, Cessna,Luscombe, Mooney, Stinson, [insert your airplane type here] is than the other makesand models. We experienced a comraderyat Airventure not found anywhere else in the world. Synonyms for comradery are brotherhood,community, companionship, fellowship and society to mention a few. In 1963, Paul Poberezny was quoted assaying,”The warmth and friendship and good fellowship is noticeable immediatelyupon arrival, and one has a feeling that ‘there are not strangers here.’” Fifty one years after Paul said this, it isexactly what my wife and I experienced in 2014.
For us, the families at Pirate’s Cove invited us over andtheir friends became our new friends. Therewere no strangers walking by as everyone was welcomed to stop and talkaviation. We met people from Australia, UnitedKingdom, Canada and other corners of the world. The families at Pirate’s Cove live and share aviation.
One last quote from Mr. Poberezny, “EAA has made me amillionaire, because I have a million friends. Money can’t buy you that.”
Pirate’s Cove has given me and my wife a start at becoming millionaires. Their aviation spirit is a cornerstone to thefellowship and community that make Oshkosh “The World’s Greatest AviationCelebration!”

FlyingRon
07-07-2015, 06:14 AM
Understand that Pirates Cove may be great guys, but in the past the noise from their group has definitely HAS been a problem. If they've taken steps to reign in the rowdier ones in the group, more power to them.

Again, to answer the original question, if there's a rowdy group after 10PM let security know. It might be a bit harder to find them later at nights (try the gates). If it appears to be a persistant problem, bring it up with someone during the day time. The Vintage Flight Line building is open from around 6AM in the morning to 8:30 in the Evening. They can put you in touch with the right people if you are having a problem.

moodychief
07-07-2015, 12:21 PM
I guess people look at things differently. After spending almost 30 years active duty military I learned not to sweat the petty things in life. If bullets are flying and people aren't dying, everything is okay and can be worked out!!

spongebobiwan
07-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Loved that line, "but there is nothing like waking to radial engines rumbling early in the morning". That, and that very first sip of the first cup of coffee at that same time? Nothing better.

Bailey47b
07-07-2015, 03:28 PM
I guess people look at things differently. After spending almost 30 years active duty military I learned not to sweat the petty things in life. If bullets are flying and people aren't dying, everything is okay and can be worked out!!

as the OP I was not singularly calling out the Pirates but other groups as well. But staying with the Pirates ... I agree that excessive noise in vintage is not a life or death situation, and neither is any negative civil/manners behavior concerns. But that said I don't think its too much for partying groups to behave civil and respectful of those around them.

case in point ... Being 10 spaces away from the Pirates and not being able to call my wife on the cell because we can't hear each other due to their music (even if they were playing John Denver) blasting over their PA system. What's the purpose of the PA system if not to amplify the sound? Why do they think they need a PA system?

The Pirates may be good folks and I'm glad that others find them nice and helpful, but I (and many other pilots and volunteers ) find their behavior towards those around them is self centered and over the top and not very civil.

FlyingRon
07-07-2015, 08:17 PM
The idea is that we want everybody to have a good time whether you are an early to bed type or you want to party all night. Rules are set up to keep things the best for everybody. If you have issues or even just suggestions, again I can direct you to the right people. This will be my 24th Oshkosh and I've certainly griped plenty and whether it was my griping or just evolution of things, a lot of my complaints have been answered over the years.

pirate mike
07-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes, I am a pirate. I'm one of the Black Gang at Pirates Cove. Methinks some of you owe the Captain and the rest of our crew an apology. If you want to be a credible flamer, you need to abide by two rules: 1.) Have your facts straight, and 2.) Don't use words that you would not want your grandchildren to hear (it also causes the forum moderator no end of grief).

Since the most important things are the facts, you need to understand the following:

Fact #1: Pirates Cove does not play amplified music or amplified anything much past 10 PM. It may not be exactly 10PM. We are, after all, pirates and not a division of the Naval Observatory. If you hear amplified sound after 10 PM in Vintage Camping, IT COMES FROM A SOURCE OTHER THAN PIRATES COVE.

Fact #2: Pirates Cove considers it a priviledge, not a right, to be with other VAC campers. Thus, we try to work with Vintage Security to keep us in compliance with the rules. It's easy to find the security guy. He drives the grounds in what I believe to be a white Geo Tracker with flashing lights and a sign that says, of all things, "SECURITY". His name is Darth, er..., Tim. He is a really nice guy, a volunteer himself, I think. He comes by Pirates Cove about every 30-45 minutes, depending on what else is going on in VAC. I hope Tim will be at his old job in 2015.

I'll talk later about the other noise sources in VAC. I have some research to do.........

wyoranch
07-10-2015, 04:28 PM
No offense but the tone in which you write and your sarcasm isn't helping your cause. I have never been around PC so I am in no place to comment. I will say that I don't think you can put 100000 people in one place and have conditions that are completely satisfactory to all of them.

familyfly
07-10-2015, 04:43 PM
DUOTE=wyoranch;49753]No offense but the tone in which you write and your sarcasm isn't helping your cause.[/QUOTE]
If maybe you get to know these scurvy dawgs,you might see that your experience is enhanced.but then you would have nothing to complain about,their kids will be doing this probably long after we're gone.Do you want them to remember you as "that guy?"
Pirates Cove,where the women are strong,the men are goodlooking and the children are all above average

spongebobiwan
07-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Pirates Cove,where the women are strong,the men are goodlooking and the children are all above average

Umm...isn't that place called Lake Wobegon, Minnesota? At least per Garrison Keillor it was, or is. :rollseyes:

pirate mike
07-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Good morning all. Pirate Mike here. After this, I'm going to be quiet unless someone posts more bogus information here.

There are two sources of amplified noise in VAC after 10 PM: the Fly-In Theater, and the SOS Bros. Beer Tent. One is EAA sponsored, the other is a private enterprise that sits on private land as I understand it.

First, the Fly-In theater. The EAA web site indicates that it operates from 8:30 PM until 10 PM. Sunset is at 8:30 so they probably can't start much before then. On tap this year are some great movies, only one of which will finish running by 10 PM. The lineup should work as follows: Thursday, "Planes: Search& Rescue" should finish by 9:54 PM in time for the kiddies to get to bed. Wednesday, "Edge of Tomorrow will run until 10:23 PM. Saturday, "Battle of Britain", if we are lucky, the Spitfires should have dispatched the Luftwaffe by 10:43 PM. Tuesday, the prisoners of "Unbroken" will be released by 10:47 PM. Friday, the crew of "Apollo 13" will have safely landed by 10:50 PM. However on Monday, VAC campers will be trapped in the black hole of "Interstellar" until 11:19 PM. The OP asked what the EAA's position was concerning noise in VAC. While this info doesn't directly answer the question, it does provide some insight.

Now SOS Bros. Their Facebook page advertises operating hours from 10 AM to 12 AM, midnight I assume. This is what I put earplugs in for every night, and, I suspect, its what the other posters are hearing at that time. I've been there and found it very uncomfortable to even walk through the tent. I have no suggestions about how to deal with this establishment.

Like I said, I'm done I hope. Please come by and look me up at Pirates Cove. I would love to talk face to face. If you can't, give me a call 719-330-8544. Maybe we can meet in front of the Metro Warbirds.

Floatsflyer
07-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Eyyyyyyy laddies and shiver me timbers, where is Pirates Cove in vintage?

Capt'n Jack
07-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Hello folks, this is Capt’n Jack from the Pirate’s Cove. As spokesman for the Pirate’s Cove (PC), I can tell you it breaks our hearts to read the negative remarks that we've seen in this forum. We are all EAA’ers, we all love aviation and we all wait 358 days each year for this blessed event. I am truly disappointed to see this bickering (caution, e-mails & forums can be bad about this!).

One thing that concerns us are these allegations of late partying. To be clear and honest, PC evolved out of the Cajun Condo (CC) about 10 years ago. When we, the founders ventured away from the CC and established The Pirate's Cove, our attitude was (then and continues to be) “lights-out” @ 10:00p. This is not only to abide by EAA’s rules but also to be good neighbors. Many of us are EAA Vintage volunteers as are some of you and we know the importance of getting a good nights sleep. As a charter member of the PC, I can attest (on my NLV Bible!) that Capt’n Jeff has always been insistent that the PC closes at or before 10:00p, and PC does (honest!). We are very insistent about this. Any party noise you hear after 10:00p are from other groups nearby, not us. We think we have been successful as the EAA has personally visited us in the past to express their gratitude for being such good VAC citizens. We have hundreds of aviation people visit with us each year with much enjoyment. We are thrilled that we are a "must-visit" location for aviators from across the globe, year after year. And to you our neighbors, our chairs are always open as well as our outlets (when available) to you as well. In return, we ask for nothing except your camaraderie, friendship & a good hangar story... or two... or more.

Ok now, today is Saturday, July 11th - we should all be very busy getting ready for AirVenture 2015 instead of typing away on our darn computers. I am sure that you, as I, do not have the time for petty bickering on this forum so close to AirVenture 2015. Therefore, instead of adding any more to this forum, I invite each of you to step away from your keyboard & come, sit and visit with us @ KOSH for a while - we don’t bite, honest. I think you will find the Pirate’s Cove most accommodating and your friend. We're looking forward to a great EAA AirVenture this year and visiting with you.

Before closing, I want to take a quick moment though to thank all of you for your remarks and kind words some of you have said. And for those who have expressed their concerns... we hear you, we hope you now better understand us pirates as well... & we hope that you'll drop by to say hello.

We wish you safe travels & our very best regards, …Capt’n Jack, "The Pirate’s Cove" ( Arrrrrrrrr! )

Msg to Floatsflyer: We can be found on Row 67W - south of the Theater in the Woods & due west of the Hangar Cafe. Just look for for the Jolly Rogers flag flying over a group of white pop-up shade canopies & next to the most beautiful E35 Bonanza you've ever seen. See ya!

TedK
07-11-2015, 06:38 PM
Having actually dispatched pirates to the Flying Dutchman while in the South China Sea during my formative years, I look forward to visiting Row67W for a few good sea stories. Ahoy!