PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone?

CarlOrton
06-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Here we are about 3 1/2 wks before Convention, and this place is eerily quiet. In past years, this area of the forums always had at least 5-8 topic threads going-on at any one time.

People make 2-5 replies to a thread and then it just dies.

Somethin's going on....

Zack Baughman
06-23-2015, 03:11 PM
They are all packing! And here at HQ, we are all scrambling! 26 days out!

psvinny
06-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Well Zack, I am a little disappointed. Hal said he would walk across the field but he won't climb the 50 foot ladder to clean the lens on the web cam so we could watch it year round.

Mayhemxpc
06-23-2015, 06:38 PM
It does seem a little quiet. Myself, I have been up to my elbows in grease and grime to be sure the annual (and associated maintenance) is complete a week earlier than usual!

Floatsflyer
06-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Carl,

I don't want this to sound glib in any way, but perhaps, just perhaps some of the regular contributors who have provided many responses/answers in the past 4 plus years are a little tired of spewing the same info to the same questions year after year.

Quite frankly, answers to most of the questions and queries here are easily found by a quick glance and scroll at the AirVenture website. Maybe people are going to the site first to get answers.

FlyingRon
06-24-2015, 05:36 AM
Well, last weekend we were all busy at the Udvar-Hazy flyin (including several of the chairs from Vintage, one from FLO, and a bunch of the random flight line people). This coming weekend I'll be at the Navion Society flyin at EZF.

CarlOrton
06-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Floats, that's an entirely logical response, and it makes sense.

I find it odd, though, why this year would be any different than past years. Even though it might be repetitious, I'd venture that most of us really don't mind helping out a first-timer, even if it's been discussed the past 10 years. Then again, we've received very FEW queries about how things are done, etc. Perhaps they are finding the answers from the archives or airventure.org. But then again, we're not seeing the "Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy - it's only x days to Oshkosh" or "Given the current weather patterns, should I fly over the lake or go around?" threads. I just thought it seemed quiet.

Joe Delene
06-24-2015, 10:45 AM
I've been at work a lot. I'll be in Oshkosh for the opening day though.

wyoranch
06-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Floats, that's an entirely logical response, and it makes sense.

I find it odd, though, why this year would be any different than past years. Even though it might be repetitious, I'd venture that most of us really don't mind helping out a first-timer, even if it's been discussed the past 10 years. Then again, we've received very FEW queries about how things are done, etc. Perhaps they are finding the answers from the archives or airventure.org. But then again, we're not seeing the "Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy - it's only x days to Oshkosh" or "Given the current weather patterns, should I fly over the lake or go around?" threads. I just thought it seemed quiet.
Carl,
Oh boy oh boy oh boy there are only 25 days till Oshkosh. I am driving and there is a lot of construction should I take I-90 or I-94?
I am sorry I could not resist....
Rick

MEdwards
06-24-2015, 12:49 PM
I find it odd, though, why this year would be any different than past years. ...I notice the same thing on another type-specific board I look at.

Bill Greenwood
06-24-2015, 01:48 PM
I am trying to think of some good controversial subject, but having a hard time, it just isn't coming up redily.

Ok, here's sort of one, What ever happened to the wicked witch of the North 40 who was the subject of many complaints a few years back?

wyoranch
06-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Bill,
Gonna open that one up? lol Thats cold

CarlOrton
06-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Well, it'll all be Ohhhhh Kayyyyyy in just a few short weeks.

L16 Pilot
06-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Hmmm! I'll be traveling to and from Japan arriving back in Wisconsin July 21, rest up on the 22 (my birthday) and head to Oshkosh later in the week hoping for good flying weather. If not I'll be flying my Ranger pickup...but I'll be there.
Mike

glider90
06-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Since we are trying to build some traffic here...
1) it appears there has been enough rain that there will be no campfire bans in Scholler, right?
2) Has the weather in WI been cool to normal? Hopefully not warm enough for an algae bloom on Lake Winnebago?

Campfire smores and swimming at the seaplane base are apparently traditions that are important to my kids. I am pretty excited by the line up for this year (other than that Doc is nt going to be ready, but as long as they still plan to bring her I can wait as many years as it takes).
I also saw some mention on FB about a dusk F-4 flight during the Saturday night airshow, but nothing I see on the EAA site officially mentions it.

1600vw
06-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Ran off by other pilots. I had the wind let out of my sails by other pilots. Started flying a few years ago and was so excited to learn and participate in forums such as this. To only have other pilots or members of said forums ridicule every world. I call them snobs.

snob
snäb/
noun
noun: snob; plural noun: snobs
a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.

People will say " well it's the type A personalities " I call BS to that. I believe others see this too and just circle in the waters and never want to enter the shark invested area's. When you do you open yourself up to all sorts of ridicule. I myself don't need the crap. But I jump in feet first anyway. If you do not believe me just visit some of the forums I am on and follow some of my threads.

Now we have those who never have this problem. Those will be the ones who will tell you I am all wet here. I also believe a lot of this has to do with people hiding behind screen names. If people had to use thier " real " name they might treat others a little different. For you never know when you might meet the person you just commented to in "real" life or in the real world.

Tony Sweet

wyoranch
06-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Ran off by other pilots. I had the wind let out of my sails by other pilots. Started flying a few years ago and was so excited to learn and participate in forums such as this. To only have other pilots or members of said forums ridicule every world. I call them snobs.

snob
snäb/
noun
noun: snob; plural noun: snobs
a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.

People will say " well it's the type A personalities " I call BS to that. I believe others see this too and just circle in the waters and never want to enter the shark invested area's. When you do you open yourself up to all sorts of ridicule. I myself don't need the crap. But I jump in feet first anyway. If you do not believe me just visit some of the forums I am on and follow some of my threads.

Now we have those who never have this problem. Those will be the ones who will tell you I am all wet here. I also believe a lot of this has to do with people hiding behind screen names. If people had to use thier " real " name they might treat others a little different. For you never know when you might meet the person you just commented to in "real" life or in the real world.

Tony Sweet

Tony,
I do agree that occasionally things get heated, but as a rule the people on here are really great. They want to and do help, inform, advise etc..... I have asked a few 'noob' questions and have received nothing but thoughtful advice. I look forward to all the excitement, questions and chatter about AV. I don't think that the couple of hard cases are keeping the chatter down, it just seems lacking as a whole.

Rick

Roger Janssens
06-25-2015, 02:00 PM
Then again, we've received very FEW queries about how things are done, etc. Perhaps they are finding the answers from the archives or airventure.org. But then again, we're not seeing the "Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy - it's only x days to Oshkosh" or "Given the current weather patterns, should I fly over the lake or go around?" threads.

Carl, you're right, it does seem more quiet than previous years. I don't mind if that's because people are finding the information on the website or in the archives - I work at a European university, and I'm not used to seeing people ask questions that 5 seconds of research (literally, less time than typing the question) would have answered. As to the 'Boy Oh Boy' topics: I've always been surprised at how this forum does *not* discuss expected aircraft participation, contrary to what most airshow-related or aviation-enthusiasts-run forums do. That's fine by me (there is now a thread-of-sorts on WIX), but then I don't go to an airshow-related forum to discuss what brat I should put on the barbie on the Thursday either...
Best,
Roger

Mayhemxpc
06-25-2015, 04:43 PM
What brat are you putting on the barbie Thursday? Is it the same as you will use on Tuesday? It is Wisconsin and this could be an important question. A wrong choice might set you on the "outs" with the snobs. ;-)

Cary
06-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Carl,
Oh boy oh boy oh boy there are only 25 days till Oshkosh. I am driving and there is a lot of construction should I take I-90 or I-94?
I am sorry I could not resist....
Rick
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy--it's only 24 days to Oshkosh. Given the weather patterns, should I take the northern route or the southern route? There's a 3 minute difference. Actually, I think I'll go 2 days early, so only 22 days. Ack! I guess I should start packing! :rollseyes:

Cary

Floatsflyer
06-26-2015, 08:10 AM
As per the recent press release, I'm really looking forward to watching the hype, presentation and handover of the keys by Icon to the first customer delivered A5 amphib. It's been a very long development in the making, 8 years since they first exhibited at Osh. Good on them for all the time, effort and devotion spent on designing and building that went into a beautiful aircraft. To all the naysayers over the years, the time is upon you, try to enjoy it. It's a great story for the growth of GA.

Cary
06-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Of course, the proof won't be in the first sale, but in many subsequent sales and safe operations. I have always questioned their market analysis, and I hope to be proven wrong. I agree that it's a very attractive airplane, but it's a horribly expensive toy with a very limited audience--I think.

As for Tony's problem, do I detect an attitude issue? I've been flying for coming up on 42 years, and I've always found pilots in general to be friendly and willing to share their knowledge with newbies. Yeah, I've noticed a few, albeit very few, in forums who seem to take pleasure in talking down others. Their attitude, whether directed at newbies or people whose professions they don't like, is reprehensible. But it's hardly representative of pilots as a whole. On the other hand, if someone comes into a forum or shows up at an FBO with a chip on his shoulder, just begging for someone to knock it off, there are plenty who will step up to that plate.

Cary

Mayhemxpc
07-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Carl, is there enough activity on the other threads now to make you feel more comfortable (even if it does seem to be somewhat negative.)

OmiGosh, 14 days until I leave for Airventure. Just got the plane out of annual and I have about three weeks of spot painting and general cosmetic work to do!

CarlOrton
07-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Yeah, Chris, it has picked up a bit more. Was never UNcomfortable, just was seeing if others felt it was a lighter year for new threads. We're heading out in 15 days, so not far behind you.

deftone
07-03-2015, 07:10 PM
I purchased my wristbands and Camping pass today, will be there 18th-26th. Will be driving from Louisiana so staying as long as possible to make it worth the drive!

My 3rd straight year, and the first time the wife has come along!

CarlOrton
07-04-2015, 08:44 AM
>snip<

My 3rd straight year, and the first time the wife has come along!

I had been attending for a few years, and in 2008 my wife and I attended a Sonex workshop in OSH. We're driving back to the hotel after day one, and she looks at me and says, "How about if I go with you this year?" Talking with other non-builders during construction activities in the workshop, she found out that most of them attended, and even if they didn't love aviation, they'd bring along a good book and read in the shade.

Now, at the time, I usually attended only Sunday thru Wednesday. After her first day on the field, she made me extend our dorm reservation for the full week the following year. She had that much fun. I'm into building and technology. She's into history and the warbirds, as her dad worked for Braniff in the early 40's, and all she heard her entire life was stories about DC-3's. I never even see her during the day until we meet at the bus for the return trip to the dorms. She scours the forum schedules and is quite adept at building her own daily planner.

Anecdotal comment: During her first year there, we went to the Tower Cafe for an afternoon break. We spotted some seats at a table with one or two men at it and asked if we could join them. Well, it turns out one of the men was an EAA Director (drat - wish I wrote-down his name...). As soon as she found out his position, she starts the finger-wagging at him and tells him in no uncertain terms that they MUST do something about the bathrooms, because no woman wants to use a porta-potty. (she would actually hold it until she could catch a bus to the museum!). She reamed him up one side and down the other. The next year, they installed the new flush toilets on Hangar C. Now, we realize this probably occurred as part of a long-term upgrade project, but she gets a kick out of telling folks how "she" helped the flush toilets appear. And, coincidentally, has anyone noticed the uptick in the number of female participants since then?

CraigCantwell
07-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Thought we were going to be able to attend this year, but circumstances now dictate that we sell both homes and get moved prior to school starting in late August. Bad weather has already slowed me more than a month and I'm having to take at least one week of vacation to try and catch up.

RC Gregg
07-05-2015, 12:20 PM
My Son and I are excited about Oshkosh as usual, and starting to get our camping gear ready for our annual trip. This looks to be a really fun year to attend. Here's a link to a video from 2014 that I made with my go pro. I make no excuses, other than I am a complete amateur at shooting and editing. (It's not anything like other people like "Slick" produce).
https://vimeo.com/103485338