PDA

View Full Version : Wittman Landing Gear Legs - Need a shop that will make them...

Bill Simpson
06-19-2015, 08:37 AM
I am specifically trying to find a shop that will build Wittman style flat spring landing gear in steel. I know about Grove Aircraft for flat spring aluminum gear,and I know about Langair for round rod type, but I am having trouble finding a source for the flat type. Lots of fab shops and heat treat shops, but (so far) none interested in the bending... So, anyone have any shops I can contact that might make such a thing?

Bill

VP1
06-21-2015, 10:59 PM
I am specifically trying to find a shop that will build Wittman style flat spring landing gear in steel. I know about Grove Aircraft for flat spring aluminum gear,and I know about Langair for round rod type, but I am having trouble finding a source for the flat type. Lots of fab shops and heat treat shops, but (so far) none interested in the bending... So, anyone have any shops I can contact that might make such a thing?

Bill

I'd call Grove and ask about doing the job in steel. Having formerly worked there I don't see why they couldn't bend up a piece of steel in place of aluminum..

martymayes
06-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Have you tried contacting Tim Hjelle at Fond du Lac Auto Machine? Didn't Arden Hjelle build all of Steve's landing gear? Maybe you could get some leads?