PDA

View Full Version : Potential First Time Exhibitor

jonharrison
06-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Hello everyone, I am currently working at a small municipal airport in Minnesota. If this is the wrong forum to ask these questions, I sincerely apologize. We have an expanded marketing budget this summer, and were thinking about possibly trying to get one of the few remaining booths at Oshkosh to promote our airport. We are still fairly limited in budget, however, so we couldn't spend a ton of money if we decide to go. Would the Fly Market be a good place to set up? The booths seem reasonable, but we are a little concerned that there might not be as much traffic as in the main hanger. We really appreciate any advice or help. Thank you.

Zack Baughman
06-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Hi Jon,

I sent you a PM with contact info for the person in charge of AirVenture exhibitor booth rentals.

Cheers,
Zack

Joe Delene
06-17-2015, 05:38 AM
Good luck if you go, seems the 'commercial' buildings/hangars get good traffic. As able I'd try to put a few positive comments about your airport on the Air-Nav site, then check back once in a while to keep it fresh, responding to any reviews.

Floatsflyer
06-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Would the Fly Market be a good place to set up? The booths seem reasonable, but we are a little concerned that there might not be as much traffic as in the main hanger.

Based on observations, your particular product/service and many years of attending Oshkosh, if I was an exhibitor that was directly gen av related, I would not get a booth in the Fly Market. The FM is like a Bazzar setting, the kind you would find in the Casbah in Tangiers(been there) or in the West Bank of Jerusalem(been there too). It's certainly a fun place to stroll around for an hour or so and see what's being hawked. Mostly the booths are non-general aviation related, things like Tilly hats, leather belts, model airplanes, airplane parts in boxes and aviation books and memorabilia, plaques, posters, etc.

You need to be in a one of the hangars where the most consumer traffic is and where your product is among aircraft minded products and services. Or if you have an airplane that can be a part of your booth to promote your airport then you should consider an outdoor exhibit in the main area where consumer traffic is thick as well(and be out in the fresh air and sunshine). Make sure you have some shelter set up here.

Another thought if your budget is tight is to discuss the possibility of sharing space(therefore sharing costs) with another Minnesota based company, especially one that is synergistically aligned with yours or is located close to you. Look at the list of this years exhibitors to see who is Minnesota based or ask the EAA booths rep you speak to.

Good luck! And if you do exhibit I hope you will find it a good decision and rewarding.

FlyingRon
06-18-2015, 06:33 AM
I agree with Floats, unless you have a lot of merchandise for sale, you'd be better off in the building. You'll get more notice there especially if all you have is a table and some pictures and brochures. Of course, having girls in bikinis in your booth seems to work for certain other airports.

jonharrison
06-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Thank you very much everyone for the advice and information, we really appreciate it. There were some unexpected costs for our airport this year, so we won't be getting a booth, however we will still be attending and scoping out other booths so that we can come prepared next year. See you all at Oshkosh!

Rick Rademacher
06-24-2015, 08:25 AM
This will be my second time as an exhibitor selling pre & WWII sectional maps (Vintage Air Map) and promoting Grimes Field/MERFI/Champaign Aviation Museum in Urbana, Ohio. In 2013 I was located in building C.This year I am in building A (1037) across from the Pin Up girls. Please stop by for a chat and receive a free WWII sectional of your airport in Minnesota.