PDA

View Full Version : Vendor discounts on products during Airventure ??

Martyfeehan
06-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Just wondering is anyone knows of any vendor discounts during AirVenture? I am debating about attending this year due to some time issues but I have a shopping list that needs to be filled (Piper sealed struts, lightweight Lycoming starter and alternator, maybe some electronics also). If I could save on costs through some discounts from vendors or reduced shipping $$$ that may help with the decision to attend this year. Anyone know about offers by some of the big vendors (Spruce, Wicks, Univair, Wag Aero, etc.) during the week? Thanks.

Marty

Jessica Ziegler
06-12-2015, 09:45 AM
I was wondering the same.. Hoping to pick up a GoPro and thought I might wait, just in case they have a sale while I am there.

wyoranch
06-12-2015, 10:08 AM
I was wondering the same.. Hoping to pick up a GoPro and thought I might wait, just in case they have a sale while I am there.

My wife and I got a good deal on one from the GoPro trailer last year. A very good deal.

Floatsflyer
06-12-2015, 01:47 PM
I don't know if all vendors offer show specials but I can confirm that most do. Caveat emptor: Shop around!! Many vendors are selling the same products.

For me and my plane partner, last year was an especially good one for saving money. We needed some things like new headsets, an electric tug and a GPU. We did our research prior to arrival speaking to vendors that would be exhibiting what we were looking for. We found out about specials to be on offer and in one case negotiated the entire deal for the tug on the phone and received an emailed invoice to seal the deal which we presented at their space.

Special show deals are just the beginning. You can and should negotiate price from that point. Happy hunting.

Kyle Boatright
06-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Lots of things are on sale that week. Many manufactures don't sell directly to the public, but will have a booth at the show to display their products. The people at the booth can usually direct you to the distributor (ACS, Wicks, whoever) at the show with the best prices for their particular product. The manufacturers which do sell directly generally have their best prices of the year at the show. My experience is that prices get (slightly) better later in the week.

FlyingRon
06-12-2015, 08:16 PM
GoPro wasn't dramatic but I think they gave you something for free if you bought. A lot of the vendors like avionics will cut show deals. Even the EAA will give you something if you renew at the show.

vaflier
06-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Cash instead of other forms of payment can also bring some extra discounts.

Jeff Point
06-13-2015, 07:27 AM
Can't answer the question directly but I can add this- Wisconsin law changed a couple of years ago to exclude aircraft parts/ services from sales tax, so there's 5% off right there. It seemed that a lot of vendors, and EAA themselves were not up to speed on this change last year and some were still charging sales tax. Keep this in mind while shopping.

gbrasch
06-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Can't answer the question directly but I can add this- Wisconsin law changed a couple of years ago to exclude aircraft parts/ services from sales tax, so there's 5% off right there. It seemed that a lot of vendors, and EAA themselves were not up to speed on this change last year and some were still charging sales tax. Keep this in mind while shopping.
Never heard that before, good to know!

Cary
06-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Over the years, I've seen a number of "show discounts" on various things. The problem I've had is that my airplane is already loaded down, and while I could handle more weight, there's not much room for anything bulky--so much for the half price oil! So you can save a little, but the best part is that you can compare the products of different vendors. For instance, if you're in the market for a new headset, you can check out every brand, if not at the same vendor, at least on the grounds.

The real problem is avoiding buying stuff you don't need--it's like walking into a big catalog. :)

Cary

FlyingRon
06-14-2015, 06:13 AM
Also, if you're willing to carry it home, certain heavy items like Batteries and cases of oil, can be a win given the combined sales tax issue and saving shipping.