PDA

View Full Version : Singaporean first timer to Osh Kosh

Razor87th
05-24-2015, 04:32 AM
Greetings fellow aviators/enthusiasts !

I'm from Singapore, South East Asia. Currently an Embry Riddle undergraduate coming in for a study exchange trip to Daytona Beach, FL in the Fall. I'm thinking of dropping by to OshKosh on July 20th, but I'm not really sure if my plans are sound, hence i seek the advice of all the forumers in here to tell me if its a good one. I've attached my (tentative) flight plan here (not booked a flight ticket yet). Here's what it looks like. Would really appreciate if anyone can help me see if its okay. I'm planning to take a Cab from Appleton down to OshKosh [20.4 miles]. (Is that possible?)

Cheers and thanks in advance !! :)

Depart
06:50

Singapore , Singapore
Changi airport (SIN) Terminal 1

Stop 1
14:55

Tokyo , Japan
Narita airport (NRT) Terminal 1

Change planes. Layover: 2hr 40min

https://www.tnetnoc.com/siteImages/GLOBAL/logos/air/airline/DL-1.gif
Delta Air Lines 166
Economy
Boeing 777
7hr 5min
Meal: Breakfast

Depart
17:35

Tokyo , Japan
Narita airport (NRT) Terminal 1

Stop 2
16:27

Detroit, Michigan , United States
Detroit Wayne County Airport (DTW) Terminal EM

Change planes. Layover: 3hr 33min

Delta Air Lines 276
Economy
Boeing 747
11hr 52min
Meal: Dinner

Depart
20:00

Detroit, Michigan , United States
Detroit Wayne County Airport (DTW) Terminal EM

Arrive
20:29

Appleton, Wisconsin , United States
Outagamie County (ATW)

Flight 3928 Operated by ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION

Delta Air Lines 3928
Economy
CRJ 900
1hr 29min

FlyingRon
05-24-2015, 06:32 AM
First, the name of the town is "Oshkosh" (no space).

There is a coach bus that leaves regularly from the terminal at Appleton down to the show. Very easy. There's no need for a cab (which will be very expensive). You'll have no problem finding it. Appleton is a very small airport. I got off the plane, grabbed my bag, and walked right on the bus.

You can also talk to your fellow passengers on the plane. One year I found the guy next to me had booked a rental car and he offered me a ride down to the field.

Mayhemxpc
05-24-2015, 07:19 AM
What time does that bus stop running between ATW and OSH? It looks like about 9 pm before he gets curbside.

How long will you be staying and where do you plan on sleeping?

As long as you are in the United States to study aviation and have the time to come, it will definitely be worthwhile -- even for only one day, although more is better! I would go so far to say that you will regret it if you do not take the opportunity. You will even be able to find some ERAU presence at Aviation Gateway Park. Maybe make some contacts for when you arrive on campus there.

Byron J. Covey
05-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Only one day will be a huge tease; do everything that you can to spend more time at Oshkosh.

There will be many more things to see than you will be able to see in a single day, not to mention the forums (where I spend most of the week) workshops and interviews. And if you stop to watch the airshows, that will cost you several hours.

Caution. Once you attend Oshkosh, you will find that you must go back. :)

BJC

Razor87th
05-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Thanks FlyingRon, sorry for that typo ! I meant to spell it as one word lol

@Mayhemxpc: I was planning to stay for the whole week of the airshow. I'm actually travelling to the States 1 month earlier just so I could catch the action ! I'm not due to be at the ERAU campus till August 20th, when Fall semester starts.

Hmm, regarding sleeping, thats a very good question ! I read somewhere that u can camp there. If i brought along a small tent with a sleeping bag, do u think it'll work ?

FlyingRon
05-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Airventure site says: Shuttles are available from the Outagamie County Regional Airport and various motels for a nominal fee. Call Nationwide Travelers at 920-734-5620.

Mayhemxpc
05-24-2015, 08:20 PM
One week is good. Then you will start to count down 51 weeks until the next one.

Where to sleep. Check the AirVenture website. Look at the tab "Planning your trip" for information about camping and other possible lodging, such as the dorms at the University of Wisconsin. They still have some non-airconditioned rooms available, at a little more then twice what you will pay for a camp site. I have only camped, either in Scholler (where you would likely stay) or Warbirds. Scholler is not bad. After all, all you are going to do is sleep. People seem to like the dorms, too…especially those who have had just about all the camping their bodies can stand in their lives. That and you don't have to worry (so much) about at least one, truly awesome thunderstorm you can expect during the week.

I am Chris. When you are there, come by and say Hi or leave a note. Black O-2A usually parked at the back row of the liaison aircraft in the warbirds area.

Cary
05-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Spend some time on the Airventure website--almost every question you could ask is answered somewhere in there.

I've tented at OSH every time, always with my airplane, with different kinds of tents. I decided that my back packing tent was a bit too cramped for a week, so I "invested" in a 4 person Big Agnes tent, and whether I'm alone or have a friend come with me, it's more than adequate. There's nothing quite like making it as comfortable as possible. But the most important thing for any tent at OSH is that it's pretty weather resistant, and that it can be opened up for ventilation. OSH weather varies from brutally hot and muggy to chilly at night, with the possibility of a T-storm just about any afternoon or evening--or at night. So a cheapo $29.95 tent won't cut it.

Cary

Razor87th
05-28-2015, 04:19 AM
Thanks so much for the info guys ! Checking the website now !

And Chris, nice to meet you ! I'll be sure to drop by to say hi ! :)

If I have any more questions, i'll give u guys a holler ! Thanks again everyone for your input ! A newbie traveler like me really appreciates it lots !

FlyingRon
05-28-2015, 05:56 AM
My wife and I (along with many of us in the same volunteer encampment) use the Cabelas Arctic Guide dome tent in various sizes. We actually use the 8-man for the two of us (gives me enough room to stand up beside the cots). Cabelas are located not too far from Oshkosh (if you have a car). There's one up right outside Lambeau Field in Green Bay and other on Highway 41 between Fond du Lac and Milwaukee.

bluepeace
05-28-2015, 07:57 AM
My wife and I (along with many of us in the same volunteer encampment) use the Cabelas Arctic Guide dome tent in various sizes. We actually use the 8-man for the two of us (gives me enough room to stand up beside the cots). Cabelas are located not too far from Oshkosh (if you have a car). There's one up right outside Lambeau Field in Green Bay and other on Highway 41 between Fond du Lac and Milwaukee.

Hi Ron and fellow forumers...good to see your comments regarding camping...we are still undecided to hire am RV home from Chicago or attend the SouthAfrican camp which have all the tents ready (but pricy) or buy the stuff on arrival..Hmm
question..do you know of any shuttles from Chicago OHare airport to Oshkosh? we (my fellow traveler also called Ron) arrive on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 pm ...or is there a car pool site that we can access to get a ride back and forth (returning July 27 in the morning to O'Hare international).
any comments also welcomed,...
Ivan

Cary
05-29-2015, 12:21 PM
There aren't any flights from Chicago O'Hare to OSH; Appleton is closest, and as already discussed in this thread, there are regular shuttles throughout the day from Appleton to OSH.

FWIW, if you rent an RV, you'll still be paying for camping, plus the rental. I can't imagine that the "pricey" tents you mention would be nearly as pricey as RV rental + camping charges.

Cary

Joe Delene
05-31-2015, 07:22 AM
Welcome, stay flexible, have fun. You plans look great. Nice airport you have there in Singapore.

Md11pilot
06-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the show. Bring Pepper Crab