PDA

View Full Version : EAB IFR Certification

Gerry
05-12-2015, 04:45 PM
If I start building and make an EAB aircraft, but to initially save money it is a VFR Day/Night aircraft can it later be modified to include IFR. Would like to postpone the addition of some items that might preclude the IFR?

What is the process for changing it later, does the DAR need to see it again?

Thanks,
Gerry

Marc Zeitlin
05-12-2015, 04:55 PM
If I start building and make an EAB aircraft, but to initially save money it is a VFR Day/Night aircraft can it later be modified to include IFR.Yes.

What is the process for changing it later, does the DAR need to see it again?When you get your operating limitations, they'll say something along the lines of "restricted to Day VFR unless properly equipped per 91.205 for night or IFR operation".

So you don't need to do anything other than make sure that the aircraft is equipped for whatever service you're going to use it for per 91.205 - no inspection necessary.

_IF_ something you do would be considered a "Major Change" per 21.93, you'd then need to comply with whatever your Operating Limitations said you'd have to do for a Major Change. Generally, a written notice to the local FSDO/MIDO and a response from them, plus 5+ hours back in Phase I.

Gerry
05-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Yes.

When you get your operating limitations, they'll say something along the lines of "restricted to Day VFR unless properly equipped per 91.205 for night or IFR operation".

So you don't need to do anything other than make sure that the aircraft is equipped for whatever service you're going to use it for per 91.205 - no inspection necessary.

_IF_ something you do would be considered a "Major Change" per 21.93, you'd then need to comply with whatever your Operating Limitations said you'd have to do for a Major Change. Generally, a written notice to the local FSDO/MIDO and a response from them, plus 5+ hours back in Phase I.
Thank you Marc