PDA

View Full Version : Camping at a lot with power and water.

wyoranch
05-06-2015, 04:52 PM
I am assuming that the lots that have water and electric fill up extremely fast. Can anyone provide a rough idea as to how early I would have to get there to still get one? Are there other alternatives near by? As a side note my trailer is 36 foot and it is in a dodge 1 ton dually will the spaces accommodate that?
Thanks!
Rick

Marty Santic
05-06-2015, 06:36 PM
This past year the electric sites were taken the Wednesday before the show. Past years have been pretty much the same. The Wed or Thurs before the show starts. Volunteer with a bunch of nice folks on the campground registration ramp. The sites are plenty long enough for a 36 foot trailer and a 1 ton dually. I prefer Camp Scholler but there is a nice campground just south and another on the west side of Lake Winnebago. Both with full hook ups.

wyoranch
05-06-2015, 06:49 PM
I stayed in Appleton ( I used hotel points ) last year. I would really like to stay on the grounds. Water and electric would be nice, but I have air and would at least like to use that! Lol the 24 hour generator sites will be fine. If any one has stayed there, are they brutally noisy?
thanks
Rick

Cary
05-07-2015, 08:11 PM
I camp with power and water, too--12v from my airplane to charge my iPhone and iPad, plus a bunch of batteries--and I haul water from the tanks EAA so graciously places here and there. My "air" is leaving the tent flaps open and hope that there will be a breeze, plus my tent fan hanging at the tent's peak. All of that is SOOOO much more "OSH" than an RV at Scholler! Every morning, I'm awakened by the first airplane taking off after the field opens at 6, then I brew some coffee from freshly ground beans, and take my chair and go watch the string of people land who should have practiced more at home. Now that's camping! :D:thumbsup:

Cary

Tommuller2000
05-08-2015, 06:55 AM
I have done it both ways, 6 wheel and 3 wheel RVs. The biggest problem with both is staying cool during the night. With the motorhome, running the generator some during the day offers a cool respite for a nap between tramping the ramp, but since I can't get it to fly, I usually take the airplane to be closer to the action. Camp Scholler is quieter for sleeping than the North 40 because there are usually late- night concerts in that area, so bring earplugs if you fly.

Joe Delene
05-12-2015, 05:41 PM
With a little planning I think most could do O.K. without unlimited power and water. It depends on how many and how you conserve. I've done a fair amount of camping with and without water and electric.

Just start with full tanks and a generator of some sort. You can add to the potable water as able and needed.

wyoranch
05-12-2015, 07:17 PM
With a little planning I think most could do O.K. without unlimited power and water. It depends on how many and how you conserve. I've done a fair amount of camping with and without water and electric.

Just start with full tanks and a generator of some sort. You can add to the potable water as able and needed.
we are going to do just that. Full tanks and a generator. The electric is only necessary for medical equipment, and we are just dying to try out the Oshkosh showers... Lol

MNWORD
05-13-2015, 06:22 AM
I have camped at Camp Schollar for the past 10 years and have perfected how we do it and it seems to work for us. 1. We have a Honda EU 3000 generator, we started out with a 750, then a 1500 and now the 3000. It is very very quiet and very powerful to run what ever appliance you may want in addition recharge the RV 12v battery.

2. During the quiet hours we have battery powered fans and they work very well to keep us comfortable in case it is very muggy/hot at night.

3.We use our propane tanks for hot water and we use our shower on our RV for our showers which has a 30 gallon gray water tank in addition to its 30 gallon black water tank.Half way thru the week we sign up for lavatory dump service and they have a service that comes around and dumps you for $30.00. We own a Aircraft /Airline handling company in Savannah, Ga so we put the Blue Water DE-Oder tablets in our system to keep the odors down, they sell something similar at RV stores. I also carry a grey water tank with me just in case I need to dump the grey water tank at the south gate. I dump all fluids out of the RV before we begin our trip back home at the south gate service center which sometimes there is a bit of a line, but can save you issues going down the road.

4. I also have made a 100 gal. potable water tank system for my truck with a DC pump to refill the potable water on my RV at least once maybe twice while we are there, and that tank is also serviced at the south gate at the potable water service area.

This is what we do while we camp at OSH.

Mike

Joe Delene
05-13-2015, 02:15 PM
We've pulled a trailer various places for 15 years or so. One can use the campground lav or porta potty most of the time. Depending on where you are and how discreet, a little 'gray water drain' helps keep the tank from filling up. No I didn't say 'black water'.

Cary
05-14-2015, 09:36 AM
We've pulled a trailer various places for 15 years or so. One can use the campground lav or porta potty most of the time. Depending on where you are and how discreet, a little 'gray water drain' helps keep the tank from filling up. No I didn't say 'black water'.As muddy as Scholler often is, I'd be reluctant to advise anyone to drain even the "lightest gray" of gray water on the ground.

Cary

Joe Delene
05-14-2015, 01:43 PM
I admit, it depends on surroundings. A smaller garden hose off in a gully is the best setup to squeak out a few gallons.