PDA

View Full Version : Trailering

Mowpar
05-04-2015, 02:07 PM
I am looking to buy a quick silver ultra light. I have one to get but do not have a trailer, the guy who owns the machine says I will need a 16 foot trailer just to haul it around. Is this the standard size trailer used? Seems to be an awful lot of trailer. U-haul does not even carry one around here that size. Thanks in advance.

Dana
05-04-2015, 02:18 PM
How often do you plan to trailer it? A Quicksilver isn't a plane you want to trailer to the field every time you fly. Completely disassembled, you can carry it in a pickup truck.

Mowpar
05-05-2015, 06:07 PM
I know nothing of this sport, nothing, just thought I would like to try it before I die. But did not realize the things I did not know would preclude me. Such as your remark not to haul back and forth. I also just found out that this sport, could really only be done in early morning or late evening, due to harsh winds kicking up during the day due to ground malformations. I had envisioned flying anytime the weather was nice. Would a para glider trike system be ok to haul back and forward? I live far in the sticks with no fly clubs to be found. And would have find a place to take off and land.

Dana
05-05-2015, 08:21 PM
It depends on the aircraft. Quicksilvers really aren't made for easy assembly and disassembly every time you fly. Others, like the Kolb line, are, and can go from trailer to flight in 10 minutes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMdPk6KjHDM) (I know because I've owned both).

Early ultralights were indeed limited to the calm conditions of early morning and late evening. Modern ones, like the later Quicksilvers and most others, are much more tolerant of wind, though really high winds are still a no go.

Paramotors (powered paragliders), whether trikes or foot launched, are another matter entirely. There isn't a more easily transportable aircraft (I transport mine with a Mazda Miata!), and there isn't a slower aircraft. You don't generally fly very far with one, though, you bring it in your car and fly it when you get there. Unlike other modern ultralights, paramotors are indeed limited to relatively calm conditions or at least steady winds, which generally means before 10am or after 5pm, unless you live near the shore where there's a smooth steady sea breeze.

planecrazzzy
05-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Kolb Firestar II - Pilot Cert required

Kolb "Firefly" is a UL... No Private... Just some training...
Probably one of the BEST UL's out there...
Flys like a plane... not a draggy UL
Gotta Fly...
JAM

crusty old aviator
05-07-2015, 03:03 PM
So Mowpar, are you committed to buying the Quicksilver? Do you have any hayfields or pastures near your home? You may be able to make an arrangement with a neighbor to fly your ultralight (UL) out of his/her field and get them to mow you a narrow strip with a brushhog, pulled behind their tractor. You'll need only a few hundred feet. Maybe they would let you put up a fabric shelter, like Shelterlogic makes, to keep your bird in, so you wouldn't have to disassemble and trailer it so much. Most UL trailers I've seen were either fancy, enclosed trailers, or small, converted boat trailers and modified kit trailers, like Northern Tool sells.

Whatever you end up buying and flying, the first thing you need to do is meet up with some experienced UL folks who will recommend where and who to go to for flight instruction, and once you've got the flying part down, find someone who can competently perform a pre-purchase inspection on this Quicksilver you have your eye on. Then you can figure out whether to trailer and store her at home, or base her away from your house.

UL flying isn't for everyone, you may be blown away by it, freaked out by it, or find yourself somewhere in between. Get a flight in one before you start spending much money on hardware and signing up for lessons. The two seat UL trainer's were ubiquitous at one time, but somebody convinced the FAA that they were really airplanes (the FAA doesn't recognize UL's as aircraft), so those that weren't registered as homebuilt aircraft before a long since passed deadline have been banished from the sky.

azsportpilot
06-24-2015, 10:21 AM
based on your criteria of portability and knowing "Nothing" of this sport as you put it... I would suggest easing into the sport with a powered parachute

cheap, very portable, extremely safe etc

the idea of disassembling and reassembling a quicksilver every time you want to fly seems like a bad idea

even wings-off each wing is 14-15 feet long..... this is a 2 person job

the Kolb is more portable with folding wings but is less geared towards total beginners.

martymayes
06-24-2015, 12:25 PM
I am looking to buy a quick silver ultra light. I have one to get but do not have a trailer, the guy who owns the machine says I will need a 16 foot trailer just to haul it around. Is this the standard size trailer used? Seems to be an awful lot of trailer. U-haul does not even carry one around here that size. Thanks in advance.

Is it the one on ebay right now? lol.

You really need a purpose built trailer, not a generic 16ft trailer. The latter will have 2 axles and be capable of hauling cars and such. A bit overkill for a 250 lb machine. What you need is something like a johnboat boat trailer fitted out to haul your parts.

azsportpilot
06-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Is it the one on ebay right now? lol.

You really need a purpose built trailer, not a generic 16ft trailer. The latter will have 2 axles and be capable of hauling cars and such. A bit overkill for a 250 lb machine. What you need is something like a johnboat boat trailer fitted out to haul your parts.

agreed,you will need some sort of rack system to hold your wings in place or the wind buffeting while driving could damage them... they are fragile

a lockable enclosed trailer is best with roll-out racks etc

blane.c
07-10-2015, 01:38 PM
I know nothing of this sport, nothing, just thought I would like to try it before I die. But did not realize the things I did not know would preclude me. Such as your remark not to haul back and forth. I also just found out that this sport, could really only be done in early morning or late evening, due to harsh winds kicking up during the day due to ground malformations. I had envisioned flying anytime the weather was nice. Would a para glider trike system be ok to haul back and forward? I live far in the sticks with no fly clubs to be found. And would have find a place to take off and land.

I hope by this time you have taken the advise from others to get some instruction. You need to go up in some different types of ultralights to know what you like, and what will be of utility to you. If you haven't already, go get some flight time with an instructor, it'll be a blast!

VFR-on-top
07-11-2015, 02:56 AM
Without veering this topic completely off topic, what exactly is the real world time to disassemble a Quicksilver Sprint or an Aerolite 103 so that it can be trailer from one location to another and reassembled to be flown?

I've always liked the Kolb since I first saw one in the early '90s and it would be the ideal plane for me however I'm not so sure of my patience to spend the number of hours to complete a Kolb. I don't want to buy a used Kolb either unless it super highly vouched for.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

crusty old aviator
11-11-2015, 12:26 PM
If you reaaaaally have your act together, and have a check-listed procedure that you practice every weekend, and all the hardware is kept organized and in its proper place, you can go from car top (or trailer) to flying in about 45 minutes. If you're an average person who flies once a month, so has to stop and scratch his head once in a while, and fish around in "the box" for the right hardware: about 3 hours. It's about the same for disassembling after the flight, too. Quicksilver became the top ultralight manufacturer in the 80's because they had the best marketing and dealer network, not necessarily the best design...Kolb's design is hard to beat. You can spend your time just building now and just flying (with a little bit of assembling/disassembling) later, or assembling/disassembling (with a little bit of flying) now and later.

jamesofthenorthwest
11-12-2015, 10:22 AM
If you reaaaaally have your act together, and have a check-listed procedure that you practice every weekend, and all the hardware is kept organized and in its proper place, you can go from car top (or trailer) to flying in about 45 minutes. If you're an average person who flies once a month, so has to stop and scratch his head once in a while, and fish around in "the box" for the right hardware: about 3 hours. It's about the same for disassembling after the flight, too. Quicksilver became the top ultralight manufacturer in the 80's because they had the best marketing and dealer network, not necessarily the best design...Kolb's design is hard to beat. You can spend your time just building now and just flying (with a little bit of assembling/disassembling) later, or assembling/disassembling (with a little bit of flying) now and later.

Seem like all your concerns would melt away if you just got a Pterodactyl. Needs no trailer or hanger as you can transport on car top and it will hang from your garage ceiling with no problem.
With a knowledgeable helper (one that can identify and install necessary parts independently) it can go from car top to flying in about 20 minutes, by yourself it takes more like 45 minutes.
Still available from DFE for much less than 10K, used for much less than that.

crusty old aviator
11-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Yes, quite right! The Pterry Ascender is a nice flying ultralight, too, with good ground handling.