PDA

View Full Version : Welding rod choice - Legal Eagle XL

JohnS
04-30-2015, 09:57 AM
I have RG 45,60,65 all in enough quantity to build a legal eagle xl I'll be starting in a few weeks. I've ready everything I can find, which ain't all that much really, and can make good welds with any of the three. I know its over thinking because any of three will do. But I'm looking for a reason to choose one maybe based on the resign or maybe even use different rod on different parts of the airframe. Any thoughts or experiences connected to this subject would be appreciated. Of course I am gas welding.

Aaron Novak
05-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I have RG 45,60,65 all in enough quantity to build a legal eagle xl I'll be starting in a few weeks. I've ready everything I can find, which ain't all that much really, and can make good welds with any of the three. I know its over thinking because any of three will do. But I'm looking for a reason to choose one maybe based on the resign or maybe even use different rod on different parts of the airframe. Any thoughts or experiences connected to this subject would be appreciated. Of course I am gas welding.

Hi John,
Unless the plans call for something specific, or there is a joint of unusual layout, then my suggestiong would be the 45 throughout. If you like you can use the 60 or 65 in "critical" areas such as wing/strut attach points etc. Rg45 in a traditional weldment in 4130 will exceed the strength of the base material in the HAZ, and using a higher "test" filler does no material good.
-Aaron