PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Clean Old Seat Tracks

zemon
04-29-2015, 06:17 AM
I just got a pair of old seats, along with the tracks, to use in the front of my Bede BD-4C. The tracks are encrusted with the "patina" of the ages, including old carpet tape or double-stick foam or something. What is the best way to clean these up?

Thanks,
-- Art Z.

Byron J. Covey
04-29-2015, 07:02 AM
I just got a pair of old seats, along with the tracks, to use in the front of my Bede BD-4C. The tracks are encrusted with the "patina" of the ages, including old carpet tape or double-stick foam or something. What is the best way to clean these up?

Thanks,
-- Art Z.

I would try acetone and Scotchbright pads.

BJC

Jim Hann
04-29-2015, 03:15 PM

Thanks,
-- Art Z.
Art, I would think that any of the stronger solvents like acetone or MEK would dissolve the glue. Be sure to use really good gloves, protection, and ventilation. Talk to Dave D (not Prez Dave) from the Chapter about chemical exposure, he built several composite airplanes and has suffered some of the aftereffects.

Jim

zemon
04-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Thanks Byron & Jim. I'll try acetone and, if that doesn't do it, MEK.

I'm stupid enough already. I don't need to huff no fumes so the door is always open, especially on a fine evening like tonight. :eek:

-- Art Z.

jddavis16
04-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Hey Art, WD-40 works pretty good at loosening up adhesives. Another approach would be to sandblast them.

Jim Davis

martymayes
04-30-2015, 06:37 AM
MEK 'substitute' lol

Jim Hann
04-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Another approach would be to sandblast them.

Jim Davis
There is a cabinet at the ARC. You might need to buy the proper media, I remember one of the H**bbes talking about walnut shells from HF Aviation Supply.

Jim

Flyboyron
04-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Art,

I've been amazed at how well "Goo-Gone" works on old adhesives, and it won't fry your brain, either. Actually smells kinda good! (Citrus-based solvent.)

Any kind of blasting or even Scotch-brite will remove some material (though probably not enough to worry about). Maybe you'll end up with a combination. Scotch-brite works well with the stubborn stuff after soaking in "Goo-Gone".

Ron
(Used my share of Acetone during my Glasair build.)
Glasair Super II F/T about to fly! (Still...)