PDA

View Full Version : April fools joke

Inspector Fenwick
04-15-2015, 09:43 AM
I see an announcement at the end of March that a B-52 will be in attendance and on display during OSH. However, my Sport Aviation magazine, which announced the B-25 and Lancaster, made no mention of the B-52. Possibly it was in the previous issue?? I also have not seen anything in this forum on the B-52 arrival and display.

I grew up under the glide path to Offutt AFB and remember seeing many B-52s overhead when they would call on Offutt. Yes, before that, the occasional B-36. It might have been Ft Crook back then.

Looking forward to seeing the B 52, thinking of Major Kong and General Turgidson at the same time. (You youngsters will have to look that up :P.)

Floatsflyer
04-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Not quite. Seek(search) and ye shall find.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?5825-B-52H-coming-to-AirVenture!&highlight=B-52+Oshkosh

rwanttaja
04-15-2015, 11:01 AM
I see an announcement at the end of March that a B-52 will be in attendance and on display during OSH. However, my Sport Aviation magazine, which announced the B-25 and Lancaster, made no mention of the B-52. Possibly it was in the previous issue??
There's lots of lead time required for a printed magazine. The April edition was probably in production at the time the announcement was made. It might make it in the May issue.

As, as Floats said, the OshBuff announcement had been posted here.

Ron Wanttaja

Inspector Fenwick
04-15-2015, 01:13 PM
I did a search using every permutation of "B-52" and got "no matches". Possibly the search feature only searches the sub-forum your are in at the time.???? But then I found another mention of the B-52 in another thread on the Airventure Forum.....don't know why the search feature did not pick that up. Maybe I was not hold my mouth correctly.

rwanttaja
04-15-2015, 02:56 PM
I did a search using every permutation of "B-52" and got "no matches". Possibly the search feature only searches the sub-forum your are in at the time.???? But then I found another mention of the B-52 in another thread on the Airventure Forum.....don't know why the search feature did not pick that up. Maybe I was not hold my mouth correctly.

You know, I just did a bit of experimentation. The "Search" function doesn't seem to work for most aircraft designators. I searched for B-52, RV-7, and KR-2 and didn't get a hit...despite a thread list showing one with "KR-2" in the title. I think the hyphen is throwing the search function off.

So something weird definitely is going on. Paging Hal....

Ron Wanttaja

Test: Trying without hyphens: B52, RV7, KR2. Might also be related to the combination of a number and letters.

Inspector Fenwick
04-15-2015, 06:43 PM
I tried, B52, B-52, B 52, and Stratofortress....nothing worked

Floatsflyer
04-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Type B52 Oshkosh and scroll down the page.

rwanttaja
04-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Type B52 Oshkosh and scroll down the page.
The trouble is, you get the same results if you include "B52" or not. The Forum doesn't help you look for postings about particular aircraft, if you use a search term that includes a number (e.g., "RV-6" give no results while "Lancair" does).

Hal, this is kind of a drawback for an aviation forum....

Ron Wanttaja

FlyingRon
04-16-2015, 08:03 AM
The - is punctuation and the board doesn't index for search things less than four characters long. Try "B*52"

rwanttaja
04-16-2015, 08:16 AM
The - is punctuation and the board doesn't index for search things less than four characters long. Try "B*52"

Oooo, good catch, Ron. Wonder if there's any way for Hal to get the hyphen defined as a wild card character? That would fix the problem....

Ron Wanttaja

FlyingRon
04-16-2015, 09:54 AM
If there's a way to configure it in VB 4.2.2 I don't know it. I run another board with the same version of the software and I've never seen it. You can cut the "word size" down from the default 4, but I don't know see a way to change the punctuation rules.

There's a fancier search feature available in VB5, but that's a big can of worms with the upgrade.

Glenn Gordon
04-16-2015, 04:47 PM
I see an announcement at the end of March that a B-52 will be in attendance and on display during OSH. However, my Sport Aviation magazine, which announced the B-25 and Lancaster, made no mention of the B-52. Possibly it was in the previous issue?? I also have not seen anything in this forum on the B-52 arrival and display.

I grew up under the glide path to Offutt AFB and remember seeing many B-52s overhead when they would call on Offutt. Yes, before that, the occasional B-36. It might have been Ft Crook back then.

Looking forward to seeing the B 52, thinking of Major Kong and General Turgidson at the same time. (You youngsters will have to look that up :P.)

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

:D

FlyingRon
04-17-2015, 05:20 AM
I've been looking for years to find a "combination rooshian phrase book and bible" to include in my survival kit and that one has eluded me. It used to be harder to find rubles but now they're plentiful (though you need a lot of them. A ruble is worth about twenty cents these days, back when I was in Russia it was over a buck).

Glenn Gordon
04-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Dr. Strangelove is my all time favorite movie.

Trivia time!

If you watch the scene above, Slim Pickens reading the survival kit contents checklist... part of that dialogue that you hear does not match up with what he actually said when the scene was filmed. What changed, and why?

-Glenn

rwanttaja
04-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Dr. Strangelove is my all time favorite movie.

Trivia time!

If you watch the scene above, Slim Pickens reading the survival kit contents checklist... part of that dialogue that you hear does not match up with what he actually said when the scene was filmed. What changed, and why?

-Glenn
Originally, Pickens listed the contents of the survival kit, and said one could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas. However, Kennedy was assassinated before the movie came out (in Dallas, for the kids out there), and they changed it to Vegas.

Ron Wanttaja

Glenn Gordon
04-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Originally, Pickens listed the contents of the survival kit, and said one could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas. However, Kennedy was assassinated before the movie came out (in Dallas, for the kids out there), and they changed it to Vegas.

Ron Wanttaja

Well done Ron!

Mayhemxpc
04-17-2015, 05:12 PM
I've been looking for years to find a "combination rooshian phrase book and bible" to include in my survival kit and that one has eluded me. It used to be harder to find rubles but now they're plentiful (though you need a lot of them. A ruble is worth about twenty cents these days, back when I was in Russia it was over a buck).

Ron, you gonna have that survival kit on display at Udvar Hazy this year? :-) It sounds like a great additional to my plane's kit, although my wife might object to a few of the contents. (That said, she is also intrigued with finding a combination Roosian phrase book and bible.

FlyingRon
04-18-2015, 05:23 AM
Actually, my genuine Independence Air A319 medical kit with various stuff is down in the hangar in NC.

Nelson used to have a seat pack survival kit that had condoms in it though.

The Smithsonian gets a little nervous when I start packing my 45.