PDA

View Full Version : Push to talk problem

dusterpilot
04-06-2015, 06:29 PM
I have a push-to-talk (PTT) button permanently installed on my left yoke that works fine. It's the only PTT switch in my aircraft. I hooked up an in-line portable PTT switch on the right yoke, but it doesn't work correctly. I tried a second one with the same result, so I'm thinking it must be the way the aircraft interphone sockets are wired on the aircraft. With my headset connected to the right side interphone receptacles, going through the PTT switch, I have to activate the PTT switch to be heard over the radio or over the interphone. The mic is no longer hot on the interphone system. Any ideas?

FlyingRon
04-07-2015, 04:06 AM
Many PTT switches out there cut the microphone out when they are not depressed. Your description matches this problem. This is why some of the portable intercoms have a separate place to stick the PTT plug from the microphone.

The answer could be as simple as getting a Y adapter so that you don't plug the microphone INTO the PTT, but both in parallel. You may have to butcher the adapter as some PTT switches short the mic pins together to mute things. I've got one of these adapters kicking around somewhere from before I had the intercom redone in my plane.

Byron J. Covey
04-07-2015, 02:57 PM
I have a push-to-talk (PTT) button permanently installed on my left yoke that works fine. It's the only PTT switch in my aircraft. I hooked up an in-line portable PTT switch on the right yoke, but it doesn't work correctly. I tried a second one with the same result, so I'm thinking it must be the way the aircraft interphone sockets are wired on the aircraft. With my headset connected to the right side interphone receptacles, going through the PTT switch, I have to activate the PTT switch to be heard over the radio or over the interphone. The mic is no longer hot on the interphone system. Any ideas?

You can open the PPT and change the wiring, then fuse the plastic case holding the socket back together with a soldering iron. Only one change was required. I did it on two portable PPts some years ago.

I traced / rang out the wiring in the fixed PPT that worked, and replicated it in the portable.

I would bet that there is a wiring diagram available on the web. Try the Aeroelectric Connection.

BJC