PDA

View Full Version : Sport Twin II Waiting For FAA Inspection

ercouper
10-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Hal Bryan
10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
That looks SO inviting ...!

(That cart off to the left reminds me a lot of a couple of courtesy cars I've come across ... ;) )

Dana
10-17-2011, 10:40 AM
What are we looking at here... a twin engine push pull Quicksilver?

dglco
10-22-2011, 06:33 PM
I'd like to know flight performance! Hope it will be posted

Chad Jensen
10-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Looks to be on floats too!! :cool:

ercouper
10-27-2011, 07:55 AM
:)Yes this is a Quicksilver Sport II With 503 Engines. Inspection over passed but not as light sport because of twin engines. You must have private pilot with multi engine and sea plane multi engine. I will fly off the 40 hours in the spring. I do not have multi eng sea and it would be so expensive I probably will not persue that rateing.

Dana
10-27-2011, 03:37 PM
:)Yes this is a Quicksilver Sport II With 503 Engines. Inspection over passed but not as light sport because of twin engines. You must have private pilot with multi engine and sea plane multi engine. I will fly off the 40 hours in the spring. I do not have multi eng sea and it would be so expensive I probably will not persue that rateing.

Since it's registered experimental you can legally fly it solo with nothing more than PP-ASEL as long as the operating limitations don't forbid it...

JimPeoria
10-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I think and I could be mistaken but if it has 2 engines on it you must be rated for twin engines to fly it. At that was my understanding. Doesn't matter if it is a barn door or an ultralight or an LSA the twin thing applys. The little Twin Bee electric airplane that has been in the news lately must be flown by a person with a twin engine rating.

Dana
10-29-2011, 06:30 AM
No, the regulations allow you to fly just about anything (solo only) if it's an experimental. I don't remember the precise section of the regulations but it came up recently on another forum. The aircraft's operating limitations, though, may have language requiring an appropriately rated pilot.

Bill Berson
10-29-2011, 04:00 PM
A person holding a student pilot certificate can solo just about anything* without a rating but with the appropriate instruction and an instructors endorsement.
And a person that holds any higher certificate (Light Sport, Recreational, Private, Commercial, ATP) can also solo anything without a rating. The question remains: does this solo flight require an instructors endorsement?
One instructor told me that this endorsement is not required. (even if not experimental)
Bill

* IFR flight requires an instrument rating

Dana
10-29-2011, 07:18 PM
§ 61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.

(c) Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on the carriage of persons, or operating for compensation or hire. Unless a person holds a category, class, and type rating (if a class and type rating is required) that applies to the aircraft, that person may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying another person...

(l) Exceptions. (1) This section does not require a category and class rating for aircraft not type-certificated as airplanes, rotorcraft, gliders, lighter-than-air aircraft, powered-lifts, powered parachutes, or weight-shift-control aircraft.

(2) The rating limitations of this section do not apply to—

(iii) The holder of a pilot certificate when operating an aircraft under the authority of—

(B) An experimental certificate, unless the operation involves carrying a passenger...

What I don't see there is the requirement for at least a Private (as opposed to Sport or Recreational), which I'd always understood to be the case (perhaps it's simply that this regulation predates the Rec and SP rules?). It also appears from 61.35(c) that it doesn't even have to be an experimental if you're not carrying a passenger, though that would seem to make 61.35(l)(2)(iii)(B) redundant.

There is also the requirement for the experimental aircraft's operating limitations not having explicit language about requiring an appropriately rated pilot... presumably the limitations could say "this aircraft must be operated by a pilot with such and such a rating".

Probably worth getting clarification / confirmation from your local FSDO, though...

Bill Berson
10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Dana, I am sure you meant 61.31 (not 61.35)

This section seems to require an instructors endorsement for any Pilot In Command (includes solo) without a rating:
ref.61.31 (d)
(d) Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on operating an aircraft as the pilot in command. To serve as the pilot in command of an aircraft, a person must—
(1) Hold the appropriate category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown; or
(2) Have received training required by this part that is appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown, and have received an endorsement for solo flight in that aircraft from an authorized instructor.

But then 61.31 (l) seems to exempt experimentals from this endorsement rule (when solo).

Dana
10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
61.31, yes. It's weird, the two sections seem to be contradictory, but as far as experimentals, it seems clear enough in the "exceptions" part.

ercouper
10-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Dana,:thumbsup: Thanks for the info I will pass this by my local FSDO. After all this work I really want to see what this plane will do.

Buzz
08-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Isn't there a special endorsement for a "centerline thrust" that may not be a twin rating? [Although that probably requires a PPL, which I think the thread indicated you are not pursuing].

It's the endorsement that Cessna 337 pilots use. It's a different endorsement because there is no adverse yaw to deal with when loosing a centerline thrust engine.

-Buzz

steveinindy
08-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Isn't there a special endorsement for a "centerline thrust" that may not be a twin rating? [Although that probably requires a PPL, which I think the thread indicated you are not pursuing].

It's the endorsement that Cessna 337 pilots use. It's a different endorsement because there is no adverse yaw to deal with when loosing a centerline thrust engine.

-Buzz

It's a twin engine rating with a limitation to centerline thrust only if you obtain the rating in an aircraft configured like the Cessna 337. It's not a separate endorsement but rather just one with an operating limitation.

martymayes
08-18-2012, 08:01 AM
It's a twin engine rating with a limitation to centerline thrust only if you obtain the rating in an aircraft configured like the Cessna 337. It's not a separate endorsement but rather just one with an operating limitation.

A number of tactical military jet aircraft qualify as centerline thrust and those pilots get stuck with that limitation on civilian certificates. Interesting work for a CFI when getting that limitation removed in a light twin.

FlyingRon
08-18-2012, 09:03 AM
By the way, it's merely a "multiengine sea" class rating. It's not a separate multiengine and multiengine sea as originally stated.

steveinindy
08-18-2012, 10:19 AM
A number of tactical military jet aircraft qualify as centerline thrust and those pilots get stuck with that limitation on civilian certificates. Interesting work for a CFI when getting that limitation removed in a light twin.

Interesting....I never would have thought about that.

jedi
08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Ercouper,

You and your plane are a great asset. I would like to work with you to get your multi-sea rating and keep you as legal as possible. I wish we could have spoken before your inspection but better late than never. What is your current pilot certificate? I am a CFI with most everything except Airplane Multi Engine Sea and would like to work with you to get my AMES rating and whatever you may need for your purposes. Comments about not needing the sea rating are correct provided, 1) You have a Private Pilot certificate, and 2) Your conditions and limitations do not override the FARs by being more restrictive which is a common problem in the last several years. Get me a phone number and we will talk.