PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight Camping

Jetwrench
03-25-2015, 08:57 AM
Has anyone ever camped in the ultralight camping area? My interest lie more in the ultralight/powered parachute area, and plan on camping this year for Airventure.

Aside from it being less busy and noisy, how does the ultralight camping work? Is it open to anyone, or do you have to be an ultralight EAA member?

How are the bathroom and shower facilities at the south end? Does the Wifi reach down there?

Thanks!

Cary
03-26-2015, 10:36 AM
I can't answer your questions about camping there, other than to say that to camp on any of the airplane fields means camping with your airplane. Otherwise, camping is at Camp Scholler. But I will say that WiFi at OSH is really problematic, everywhere. Sometimes it comes in strong, but when you have a several thousand people trying to connect, it just doesn't work well very often. I rely on Verizon, instead.

Cary

Jetwrench
03-26-2015, 11:40 AM
I have seen people camping with their ultralights in previous years, but I am talking about a separate camping area. If you look on a map of the grounds, there is an area just to the West of the ultralight runway. It always is full of campers and tents.

Bill Berson
03-26-2015, 11:32 PM
I think those areas west of the road are private campgrounds not affiliated with EAA.

The ultralight runway area has port-o-cans. No showers, as far as I know.

Zack Baughman
03-27-2015, 08:54 AM
The ultralight runway area has port-o-cans. No showers, as far as I know.

Just to the south of the ultralight runway along the treeline heading towards "North Fond du Lac" are some portable shower trailers.

dmoran
03-27-2015, 09:34 AM
You need only be an EAA member and the same rules apply as Camp Scholler. Having said that it is a very nice campground ( recently expanded ) run by the ultralight folks. You can buy your camping passes at the ultralight barn or online if you wish. The entrance is off of the east end of Ripple road were it ends at the TSA fence. There is a set of trailer showers just inside the grounds a very short walk south but you will need wrist band to get there the camping pass won't get you there. The ultralight folks also run a tram service from the campground to the ultralight barn. It is a great place to camp and you wont need an alarm clock as you will be woken to the sounds of powered parachute engines in the early morning calm, great way to start your day. As to WIFI it is pretty much useless all over the grounds when the place is full it just cant handle the volume of users.

Jetwrench
03-27-2015, 10:27 AM
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I was looking online and I didn't see where I could buy camping for ultralight, only scholler. Is there a selection for the ultralight campground, or does one camping admission allow me to use either campground?

crusty old aviator
05-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't think you can preregister online, like with Camp Scholler. Just show up with your showplane, and you buy your camping credentials when you register it. It's called showplane camping. I think it costs that same as Camp Scholler, Zach!!! Help us out here with some numbers for 2015, please! I'll be flying in with an antique and will be sleeping under the wing, so what will showplane camping cost us for the whole week? Don't forget your tie-down kit, Jetwrench! If you're driving in, and not bringing an ultralight...I don't think they'll let you camp in the UL area...another question for ZACK!!! You got yer ears on?!

Zack Baughman
05-12-2015, 10:09 AM
I don't think you can preregister online, like with Camp Scholler. Just show up with your showplane, and you buy your camping credentials when you register it. It's called showplane camping. I think it costs that same as Camp Scholler, Zach!!! Help us out here with some numbers for 2015, please! I'll be flying in with an antique and will be sleeping under the wing, so what will showplane camping cost us for the whole week? Don't forget your tie-down kit, Jetwrench! If you're driving in, and not bringing an ultralight...I don't think they'll let you camp in the UL area...another question for ZACK!!! You got yer ears on?!

Showplane camping in Vintage or Ultralights is the same as camping with your airplane in the North 40 - you must be an EAA member to camp and it costs $26/day with a 3-day minimum. Camping for the week with your airplane would cost you $182. These are basic sites - there are some electric/water sites available in Camp Scholler for drive ins, but those cost $60 per night. More info on camping rules and guidelines in general can be found here: http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-information/camp-scholler.

IF you plan on flying in to camp in any of the showplane areas, it is HIGHLY encouraged to download or request a hard copy of the AirVenture NOTAM and use the location placards in the NOTAM to let the marshallers know where you are trying to go.

Hope this helps!

Zack

Cary
05-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Showplane camping in Vintage or Ultralights is the same as camping with your airplane in the North 40 - you must be an EAA member to camp and it costs $26/day with a 3-day minimum. Camping for the week with your airplane would cost you $182. These are basic sites - there are some electric/water sites available in Camp Scholler for drive ins, but those cost $60 per night. More info on camping rules and guidelines in general can be found here: http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-information/camp-scholler.

IF you plan on flying in to camp in any of the showplane areas, it is HIGHLY encouraged to download or request a hard copy of the AirVenture NOTAM and use the location placards in the NOTAM to let the marshallers know where you are trying to go.

Hope this helps!

Zack

Considering that the NOTAM is mandatory and that a pilot who fails to follow it faces potential FAA disciplinary action, this is truly the understatement of the week, Zack! :) Of course, failing to use the location placards probably won't rise to that level, but it sure does screw up things for a lot of people--the marshallers and everyone behind the errant pilot.

Incidentally, I have already downloaded the NOTAM to my iPad Mini, and printed a hard copy that is already in the airplane. 67 days till OSH!

Cary

Zack Baughman
05-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Considering that the NOTAM is mandatory and that a pilot who fails to follow it faces potential FAA disciplinary action, this is truly the understatement of the week, Zack! :)

I just didn't want to be pushy! LOL!

FlyingRon
05-14-2015, 07:26 AM
Considering that the NOTAM is mandatory and that a pilot who fails to follow it faces potential FAA disciplinary action, this is truly the understatement of the week, Zack!
Well since I arrive before the NOTAM is in effect and depart after it expires, I've never had to be too concerned except when I give rides to the volunteers during the middle of the week.

Cary
05-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Well since I arrive before the NOTAM is in effect and depart after it expires, I've never had to be too concerned except when I give rides to the volunteers during the middle of the week.Of course, you know your schedule. For others, bear in mind that the NOTAM begins July 17 (Friday before) and runs through July 27 (Monday), so that it still applies for those arriving a little early or departing a little late.

Cary