PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh 2015, first timer

F-ALBT
03-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Hi, I do two categories to avoid people that do not really care about my presentation to get bored before arriving to the actual question ;)

Presentation:

I introduce myself here because I didn't find a dedicated place for presentation. So my name is Axel, I am 25 years old, french (sorry for the grammatical mistakes it's my first time in an English speaking country), I work in Boston for at least 18 months, I am disabled since my birth (I don't have a left hand) and I love to fly.

I have an ULM license (would be the french equivalent of an sport pilot license here for the ones who don't know this license) so it is not valid here. I dream about the Oshkosh airventure ever since I discovered that it exist and what it is (a bit over 10 years now). I am a fan of aero new network, I flew different LSA and ultra light and thanks to friends some interesting planes. I love about everything that have fixed wings (a bit less interested by helicopter). My dream is to build my own airplane or rebuild an old one and to learn aerobatics... and that's about all.

Question:
I took my weekly pass for the show and I booked the week at the camp Scholler. What would be the best way for me to do the trip from Boston, MA? Ideally I would share a ride by plane or by car with a guy doing the same trip for the same reason but I don't know where to look? and where to ask? (I heard that the plane trip may be more problematic regarding the law). The airlines as well as the train would be my last choice if I can't find anything else

Anyway thanks for the ones who had the patience to read me.

Have a good day all.

PS: I would be find with any dancing music on Monday evening ;)

rleffler
03-18-2015, 11:03 AM
There is a ride share app on Airventure.org, but may not be active until closer to the show. Your best bet is to attend a local EAA chapter meeting. This will be the best option to find somebody that lives nearby that may have an open seat available.

Im not aware of any dancing, but there will several concerts through out the week, with the largest one on Monday. Details won't be available until about a month in advanced.

you are going to great time! The first Oshkosh is always a special event.

F-ALBT
03-18-2015, 01:53 PM
hi thx for the quick answer! the dancing stuff was a small quote about the tread on the Monday evening concert :)
I will check the chapter106 on Lawrence airport. I can't wait for July... it's really a dream coming true.

Cary
03-20-2015, 10:07 AM
If you don't find a ride to share, then you can go by airline (roughly $500 round trip), but there's no airline service to OSH. The closest is Appleton, WI, but there's a daily shuttle (don't know how often it runs) from Appleton to OSH to accommodate Airventure travelers. Appleton is only 18 miles from OSH, so it's about a half hour trip.

Whether you go by ride share or airline, you'll want to keep your gear pretty compact--most folks won't have much extra room in their own airplanes, and the prices the airlines are charging these days for excess baggage speaks for itself. Some people ship their stuff in advance via UPS, which saves transport room, and might cost less than the baggage fees of the airlines. I haven't done that, so I don't know the details.

Because of the facilities at and near Camp Scholler, you won't need much of the stuff you often take camping. Showers and potties are nearby wherever you camp, and restaurants are only a short walk away. You don't even need clothes for the full week, as there is a nice laundromat just north of the airport, which you can get pretty close to by one of the shuttle buses.

Mostly, it's a whole lot of fun, no matter how you get there. Even in a full week, it's hard to see everything.

Cary

F-ALBT
03-25-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi, thank you for the detailed answer. I am fully aware of the need of keep my pack lean. The only things is that I need to bring my tent and sleeping bag but since i am use to 1 week hikes I have light and low volume gear. I would like to keep the airline as a last solution but thank you for the precision I'll keep that in mind. I'd rather give the money to one aviation enthusiast that is doing the trip than to the airlines ;) even if it's by car and take me 15 hours more.

And I really look forward to it. no matter how I get there it's like a dream come true

FlyingRon
03-25-2015, 08:49 AM
The Appleton shuttle runs regularly during the show (I think hourly). It's an easy transition. I got off the plane and was on the bus and down at Oshkosh in under an hour.
The other option (which I've also done) is to chat up with your fellow passengers. There's often a guy whose getting a rental car in Appleton who'll give you a lift.

Joe Delene
03-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Welcome. The closer you get to Chicago/ WI/Oshkosh the more options you will have with travel. I would look, though it may be more difficult with the ride share all the way from Boston, never know.