PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Activities -- What makes your members excited?

Bret Steffen
03-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Please share some of your chapter activities that really seem to get your members involved. What hands on things can you share with each other?

FlyingRon
03-09-2015, 03:27 PM
I always liked our annual chili cook-off. Not really aviation related but a fun get together and less labor intensive than many other events. Not really a "chili competition" but more of a pot luck with a token prize to whoever gets the most votes.

Kim
03-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Anything with food. Food and airplanes flying in is also a good combination.

Jeff Point
03-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Our chapter does an annual "Project Patrol" every winter, around this time. We pick a Saturday, meet at a greasy spoon for breakfast, then spend the day driving from one workshop to the next checking out various members' homebuilding (or sometimes restoration) projects. We preplan so as to hit as many as we can within reasonable driving distance and usually hit 3-5 projects in a Saturday. It has proven to be a very popular event among the homebuilders and especially the wannabe homebuilders who need a little inspiration to start a project. Easy to do with little effort on the part of the chapter board.

CAVU Mark
03-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Cookies and our three dollar lunch every Saturday. The Eagles Nest will also be a drawn once I finish the Surround Sound system.

Young Eagles Coordinator Chapter 14 - San Diego

vettdvr
08-17-2015, 06:40 AM
I invited a retired engineer scientist who actually worked/flew on the B29 with nuclear reactor to discuss the procedures/aircraft and radiation risk.

I have also given presentations on hot to fly cross country in our congested airspace VFR and IFR with B airspace.

Last month I brought in the proposal to do a poker run which is now scheduled for October.

I also confront :eek:those (politely) who don't want to do events if the chapter loses $$. Many want a profit on every event or they actually fold their arms and say, "If you don't do it my way I won't be there and won't support it".

1600vw
08-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Wow.......This thread says a lot...

Tony

Byron J. Covey
08-17-2015, 07:37 AM
I also confront :eek:those (politely) who don't want to do events if the chapter loses $$. Many want a profit on every event or they actually fold their arms and say, "If you don't do it my way I won't be there and won't support it".

Every organization has some of those. Ask them for their input, ask them to volunteer, then move on.

BJC

vettdvr
08-17-2015, 08:25 AM
I think of them as grenadiers. They sit on the out side, wanting to do nothing, critique everything because they are humanity's gift to aviation, then they throw disruptive grenades into the meeting and be disruptive to those wanting to make progress.

Byron J. Covey
08-17-2015, 09:46 AM
I think of them as grenadiers. They sit on the out side, wanting to do nothing, critique everything because they are humanity's gift to aviation, then they throw disruptive grenades into the meeting and be disruptive to those wanting to make progress.

Are you down at L38?

JFDP was my college roommate.

BJC

vettdvr
08-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Are you down at L38?

JFDP was my college roommate.

BJC

No I went there to the EAA lunch two weeks ago. I am North of the lake.

mmartin1872
10-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Our chapter does fly outs, training seminars for tig welding, annual recurrencys, an annual wine and cheese party.. we have plans for a fabric covering course next spring hopefully. But of course it seems that the best turn out is for our monthly meetings where we have burgers and beer and bs about everything we never accomplish on our own personal projects or the clubs project.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

CAVU Mark
10-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Every Month:
Every Saturday: Lunch $3.00
2nd Saturday: Young Eagle flights, flight simulators, free lunch to kids
3rd Saturday: Monthly meeting, breakfast, lunch, and guest speaker
Last Saturday: Flyout
Tuesday and Thursday: builder days, typically 4 -10 people will work around facility