PDA

View Full Version : musical act suggestions,,,

RC Gregg
01-11-2015, 10:09 PM
I think a lot of parrot heads lurk here, so I'll suggest these guys for a Carribean night at Oshkosh 2015. http://www.a1a-live.com/bio.html I really like the selection of musical acts that EAA brings in for the nightly shows. Let's see what other suggestions everyone has.

Byron J. Covey
01-12-2015, 06:36 AM
I think a lot of parrot heads lurk here, so I'll suggest these guys for a Carribean night at Oshkosh 2015. http://www.a1a-live.com/bio.html I really like the selection of musical acts that EAA brings in for the nightly shows. Let's see what other suggestions everyone has.

I prefer just airplanes and visiting with other attendees, not trying to hear some washed-up band on a stage with horrible acoustics. (I felt embarassed for the Beach Boys' attempt at performing.)

Now if Freddie Mercury were still alive, and the sound system actually worked ....

BJC

1600vw
01-12-2015, 06:44 AM
How did Paul run things years ago. I do not mean 5 years ago. I mean 40 years ago. Did Paul have Bands in the evening? If he did not then today we should not. Myself I to do not care for the old washed up bands. Now if they would bring in a modern act like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TxAtPW4e2E

Now we are talking. But again we need to go back to our roots. IMHO.

Tony

steve
01-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Warren Haynes with Gov't Mule

or

Alabama Shakes

1600vw
01-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Whatever they have it should not be an old band. If people want a newer crowd, have a newer group play. As I posted above there is some good new music out. Its not all crap.

FlyingRon
01-13-2015, 07:34 AM
In the old days we'd have nightly music at the Theatre in the Woods, some good, some not so good. I don't mind the Lt. Dan band. I sort of miss the Kids from Wisconsin (figured we might have gotten them back after Glee glorified show choirs for the country). On the other hand, if I never saw Chanda Lear sing again, I'd be happy. Or that belly button guy.

mazdaP5
01-13-2015, 06:09 PM
I usually skip the Monday concert, but some Jazz or Big Band could sway me...

Floatsflyer
01-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Now we are talking. But again we need to go back to our roots. IMHO.

Tony

Yup, back to our roots as in the genre Roots Music-americana, folk, soul, r&b, blues. Uncle Lucius, great stuff. Here's another great band from the genre.

Life is too short to listen to shi**y music. So for one of the nights other than Monday(yes I understand EAA wants a recognizable name), ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, from Toronto, The Beauties!

http://youtu.be/7OowBzU-Ho0

rv8bldr
01-14-2015, 07:25 AM
..... On the other hand, if I never saw Chanda Lear sing again....

OMG that was bad. I really felt sorry (embarrassed?) for her the one night I saw her there....

FlyingRon
01-14-2015, 08:26 AM
I usually skip the Monday concert, but some Jazz or Big Band could sway me...
My wife would be all over that. She'd not miss the opportunity to swing dance.

Mayhemxpc
01-14-2015, 10:01 AM
I liked Deuces Wild last year. Lots of fun for the whole family. Interactive entertainment. Got to the point that we didn't mind the rain and cold at all.

Roger Janssens
01-14-2015, 05:07 PM
I liked Deuces Wild last year. Lots of fun for the whole family. Interactive entertainment. Got to the point that we didn't mind the rain and cold at all.

Couldn't agree with you more, Chris. I never pay attention to any of the evening entertainment (except the band playing on the Monday) and since I come from across the Atlantic I had no idea who they were anyway, but as I was walking on the main ramp last year photographing the static I heard Deuces Wild start their show and just stayed till the very end. I'm not saying they should be back every year (just so it doesn't become a routine), but I will now look at the evening entertainment schedules and plan my evening around their show if they ever come back.
And just like you, I remember rain at some stage, but that was no reason to leave the ramp.

Roger

Tom Steber
01-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Sometimes I stay for the concert, but most times I head for home. (I drive back and forth everyday from Green Bay)
But even when I do stay, it seems a little weird. Almost forced. I think they should drop it and keep the musical acts to Theater in the Woods. But that was so 70's, right?
This is really strange for me because I used to be a working musician. It's how I made a living. But every year I would come to Oshkosh and it was a whole different world.
Sorry to be so wishy washy. If I had to pick someone I'd like to see, Zak Brown Band. But Ford is NEVER going to bring in a top tier CURRENT touring band.

Foxbuilder
01-18-2015, 03:10 PM
Putting in a vote for Alison Krauss and Union Station.

Wsquare
01-22-2015, 03:55 AM
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band! Rockin!

1600vw
01-22-2015, 05:08 AM
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band! Rockin!

Rockin back in the '70's. I saw them once it was a good time. Would I want to see them today?...NO Does anyone 40 and under want to see them? I doubt it very much. Oshkosh has enough gray hair people walking the grounds, why put them on the stage, unless gray haired people is what you want to draw. If we want a younger group of people to attend this event, we had better start thinking like a younger person, like it or not.

Jim Rosenow
01-22-2015, 06:59 AM
One vote for 'none of the above'. If this is the only way we will attract younger folks, then we (or IMHO more likely they) have an issue.

My first visit to 'EAA' was in Rockford when I was still in grade school. My dad had gotten day tickets somewhere, and our family drove the 40 miles to Rockford from home. Between the airplanes on display and the airplanes in the air (including Duane Cole and the 'original' Red Devils in Stearmans), I began a love affair with them that has deeply affected my life, and lasts to this day. That either happens or it doesn't, and no amount of peripheral 'enhancement' will affect it.

I feel the emphasis on music and other extraneous pursuits dilute the resources and committment needed for what I understand is still the purpose of Oshkosh....the annual convention of EAA.

Just one lonely opinion of course...YMMV.

Jim
EAA 64315

PS- Who knows...maybe I just woke up grumpy this morning! :-)

1600vw
01-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Why not have a band play in the evening when everyone is done flying and drinking a good beverage? Nothing better then to hear some good music and looking and nice airplanes. One way to get the younger folks into the grounds. Just because we are getting older we do not have to act like it. Or we could bring our rocking chairs and set around drinking coffee and shooting the breeze. Just don't expect any of the younger crowd to come join you.

Mayhemxpc
01-22-2015, 08:49 AM
I am hoping Jim just woke up grumpy.

Personally, I like the availability of the evening entertainment -- provided courtesy of Ford, along with their other support throughout the week. I don't go to all of the shows, many do not interest me. That's OK. I am not everybody I don't expect all things to meet my ever changing preferences. We are there as a family for a week. It is nice, after the events of the day, to have something where the family can gather relax, and just enjoy a little music or a show. Decompress. With regard to it being a convention, this is not unusual. Really big conventions frequently have evening entertainment -- especially ones that go on for a more than a couple of days (and there are very few as big or as long as EAA's.) Nonetheless, that week in July is not JUST a convention for the EAA, it is really so much more. Otherwise, it could be done in a couple of days surrounding the annual membership meeting. I don't believe anyone is advocating for that.

Chris

FlyingRon
01-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Actually usually the band is loud enough I can hear it down in vintage anyhow. Don't need to go up to the [WHATEVER WE'RE CALLING THE WEST RAMP THIS YEAR].

Wsquare
01-24-2015, 08:16 AM
OK. So 1600vw wants to consider bands that will attract youth? Last I checked, this would be some really dynamic rap (or hip/hop) music. Now, lets extrapolate that further to the "top 25 rap bands" of all time. OK. How about "Slum Village", or "Three 6 Mafia", or "Public Enemy", or "Bone Thugs-N-Harmony". My guess is that Oshkosh could attract any one of these bands for the Monday evening concert. And, said band would probably attract a whole bunch of youth. Of course, there may be a lot of parts missing from airplanes the next morning. Now, let's get real here, and accept reality. We are a bunch of aging aviators, and one concert band playing to youth will not change the demographics of aviation. As the saying goes, "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself". Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band!!

wyoranch
01-24-2015, 08:30 AM
OK. So 1600vw wants to consider bands that will attract youth? Last I checked, this would be some really dynamic rap (or hip/hop) music. Now, lets extrapolate that further to the "top 25 rap bands" of all time. OK. How about "Slum Village", or "Three 6 Mafia", or "Public Enemy", or "Bone Thugs-N-Harmony". My guess is that Oshkosh could attract any one of these bands for the Monday evening concert. And, said band would probably attract a whole bunch of youth. Of course, there may be a lot of parts missing from airplanes the next morning. Now, let's get real here, and accept reality. We are a bunch of aging aviators, and one concert band playing to youth will not change the demographics of aviation. As the saying goes, "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself". Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band!!
Funny none of the kids I know listen to rap..... Most are country and or rock fans.

Mayhemxpc
01-24-2015, 11:28 AM
"Funny none of the kids I know listen to rap..... Most are country and or rock fans."

There is a point here. It is not just about age, it is about people likely to be into aviation. Based on this discussion, I did some research and found a few studies on age preference. It seems, contrary to all expectations, that when comparing the most popular artists for 64 year olds and 13 year olds, there is a 35% overlap. That is a lot of commonality. Further, this overlap broadly exists throughout all age groups! On the down side, according to the study I looked at, music from the 70s and 80s are broadly unpopular among all age groups. (I happen to like 70's and 80's music.)

The bottom line is that there is a lot of common ground that will appeal to both both aspiring and experienced pilots.

wyoranch
01-24-2015, 12:28 PM
"Funny none of the kids I know listen to rap..... Most are country and or rock fans."

There is a point here. It is not just about age, it is about people likely to be into aviation. Based on this discussion, I did some research and found a few studies on age preference. It seems, contrary to all expectations, that when comparing the most popular artists for 64 year olds and 13 year olds, there is a 35% overlap. That is a lot of commonality. Further, this overlap broadly exists throughout all age groups! On the down side, according to the study I looked at, music from the 70s and 80s are broadly unpopular among all age groups. (I happen to like 70's and 80's music.)

The bottom line is that there is a lot of common ground that will appeal to both both aspiring and experienced pilots.
Absolutely could not agree more. My daughter and I are 35 years apart and we do like a fair amount of the same music. I would just be happy with anyone relevant.

Wsquare
01-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Ah ha. Now were getting to the core of the issue, and precisely why I posted the comment that I did. A quick review. I suggested Bob Seger. Response is that this band is a "has been", and for oldies. So, I post a concept that is sure to attract youth. This is critiqued because it is not the "right kind of youth". Then some voices of reason speak up. Actually, I have 3 children, early 20's, two aviators, one an Air Force fighter pilot. All three really enjoy Bob Seger. Now back to my original suggestion. Bob Seger. Rather than "put down", to raise another boat, why not float all boats higher, and wish all blue skies and tailwinds. We all win this way.

Mayhemxpc
01-24-2015, 05:05 PM
On drawback to Bob Seger: The show is sponsored by FORD

1600vw
01-25-2015, 03:39 AM
Just because I still listen to the music of the 70's does not mean I will go and watch these people today. I see nothing fun in watching a gray haired person running around the stage with their shirt off trying to relive the days of past. It would be like trying to watch a 70 year old ball player play ball again. No one wants to see it.

wyoranch
01-25-2015, 05:21 PM
The Bob Segers of the world have as much relevance to today's young people as Big Crosby had to my generation. Yes Bing is a TREMENDOUS talent, but not one of my friends stood in line to get tickets when he came to town. And 1600vw, I concur. I was a touring musician during the 80's and trust me no one wants to see me with my shirt off reliving the glory days. My music is with a few exceptions nothing that the young are interested in as a whole.

FlyingRon
01-26-2015, 08:20 AM
I don't know about Bob Seger but I can tell you that Steve Miller was down in Vintage peering all over some of the aircraft the year he was up.

Joe Delene
01-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Yes, it's a tough crowd to satisfy. I think some young 'rapper' or hip hop group may be a little mis-match for Airventure. The Bob Seger, REO Speedwagon, and the Steve Miller types are fine with me. I about never go to concerts anymore, but do enjoy a tidbit at Airventure when it works out.

Yes, most of the patrons 'relive' their youth at times too, just part of life.

Zack Baughman
01-27-2015, 12:55 PM
You want somebody cross-generational? How about Neil Diamond? He is HUGE with college kids as his song Sweet Caroline has become a staple at sporting events across the nation (talking U.S. here), and he connects with quite a few of the older generations. Just a thought....

Zack

Mayhemxpc
01-27-2015, 05:03 PM
I sure hope that the right guys at Ford do NOT read this forum!!!
;) (maybe)

1600vw
01-27-2015, 05:35 PM
I sure do like Neil Diamond but doubt I would buy a ticket to see him today. But I do listen to his music, but live? I mean no disrespect, its just what it is. Some things are time dependent, that time has come and gone.

1600vw
01-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Just a thought, but if you want to draw the younger generation give them something to bring them to oshkosh. The people and airplanes will keep them there.

FlyingRon
01-28-2015, 06:17 AM
There are plenty of younger acts that are not rap. Frankly, a lot of the country acts that are pretty popular are the mainstay of the state fair circuits. There are also the softer side of rock (Taylor Swift). The biggest issue I suspect is that these are going to be a lot pricier than the geriatric rockaholics that have been the mainstay for the past years.

1600vw
01-28-2015, 06:51 AM
There are plenty of younger acts that are not rap. Frankly, a lot of the country acts that are pretty popular are the mainstay of the state fair circuits. There are also the softer side of rock (Taylor Swift). The biggest issue I suspect is that these are going to be a lot pricier than the geriatric rockaholics that have been the mainstay for the past years.

:thumbsup:

You never know until you ask but maybe one of these people would donate their time and the bands time for the cause. You just never know. But now we are talking.

Janet Davidson
01-28-2015, 07:31 AM
Iron Maiden

At least the lead singer

a) knows how to sing
b) knows how to fly
c) knows what Oshkosh is all about
d) could bring The Great War Display Team with him & perform during the airshow - http://www.greatwardisplayteam.com

1600vw
01-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Iron Maiden

At least the lead singer

a) knows how to sing
b) knows how to fly
c) knows what Oshkosh is all about
d) could bring The Great War Display Team with him & perform during the airshow - http://www.greatwardisplayteam.com

I never was an Iron Maiden fan. A buddy of mine who plays guitar loves them. Heavy Metal was really never my thing. I think a modern band like mentioned a few posts above would fit right in at Oshkosh.

wyoranch
01-28-2015, 11:28 AM
If you are going to dream, dream big! I would love to see Rush, Alex Lifeson the guitar player is an avid aviation nut.

Roger Janssens
01-28-2015, 02:58 PM
the geriatric rockaholics that have been the mainstay for the past years.

I think I'm younger than many people on this forum, and I'm definitely younger than many people I see at Oshkosh. I also happen to listen to music quite a lot. But as I've said before, the Monday night bands so far have been bands that I was either hoping to see at some stage, or that I at least didn't mind watching (like last year). Maybe I'm a geriatric rockaholic even though I'm not yet 50. ?Proof?: some more 'modern' suggestions made in this thread would positively have me stay far away from the main ramp that night - e.g. I don't hear any difference between soft rock and singing wallpaper, except that the latter is probably less annoying.
The bigger question for me, though, is what purpose the concert serves, and whether attracting a younger crowd could or should be its goal. I'm really not sure if a concert is what will bring in a younger crowd, given the fact that there is admission to be paid (an adult daily ticket, non-EAA member will be 45 USD this year) and that for an outsider, a concert and an airshow and a static exhibition of aircraft is not what they expect in one and the same place. If the goal of the concert is to make money by bringing in outsiders, then the EAA might make more money by organising the concert outside of the grounds, in a clear 'concert setting'. If the goal of AirVenture is to attract younger people into aviation, then I don't believe the concert is the way to do it. What got me hooked on aviation, was the raw noise of a Vulcan bomber doing wing-overs at an airshow we attended during the (single) field-trip in 6th grade. If EAA wants to get young people into aviation, maybe it should use its influence to have the USAF send a B-1 down Oshkosh main street at the start of AirVenture.
(By the way: when we mention a 'younger' crowd, are we talking about teenagers; 20-30-year-olds; ...?)

Roger

Mayhemxpc
01-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Weird Al Yankovich: Not only is he a real cross generational act, his accordion music would fit right with central Wisconsin!

Tango
01-31-2015, 11:07 PM
I would like to see Hall & Oats perform at EAA Airventure 2015. They are one of America's greatest bands and they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2014. Also, John Oates holds a private pilot license since 1985.

Byron J. Covey
02-02-2015, 07:00 AM
One of the reasons that I like this forum is that I frequently learn something.

On the down side, according to the study I looked at, music from the 70s and 80s are broadly unpopular among all age groups.

I didn't even know that there was any music made in the late 70's or any of the 80's. :)

BJC

Byron J. Covey
02-02-2015, 07:02 AM
just because i still listen to the music of the 70's does not mean i will go and watch these people today. I see nothing fun in watching a gray haired person running around the stage with their shirt off trying to relive the days of past. It would be like trying to watch a 70 year old ball player play ball again. No one wants to see it.

+1.

Bjc

Joe Delene
02-12-2015, 12:48 PM
We'll end up with a DJ playing records? Just think of the $$ savings.

BeagleOne
02-21-2015, 11:12 PM
I used to like Sweet Caroline, until I found out it was written with Caroline Kennedy in mind...and she was 11 at the time Neil Diamond wrote the song. Which is kind of creepy when you think of the lyrics in relation to an 11-year-old.

Hall and Oates are playing Madison on July 30th. However I think they won't be in the state for the opening day of the fly-in.

spongebobiwan
02-22-2015, 11:09 AM
I am not a member of the "greatest generation", but I am nevertheless, an old fart. Even so not having been alive yet during WWII, somehow, and mostly by attending Oshkosh in the 70's and hanging out in the Warbird area, I fell in love with the big band music, or swing music if you will. You know, the Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Harry James, etc., etc. I can still recall many walks up to the big food tent up there and enjoying a nice meal while listening to that music.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd sure like to show up for the fly in one time and hear that music again. And wouldn't it even be nice if that were the main music attraction on Monday night with a big "swing" dance type theme?

For those that disagree and consider my suggestion (or dream) utter nonsense, that's fine. Nobody has to agree with me or also think that would be a good thing. I'm more than happy to imagine this and enjoy this in my mind all by myself. :-)

wyoranch
02-22-2015, 02:30 PM
I am not a member of the "greatest generation", but I am nevertheless, an old fart. Even so not having been alive yet during WWII, somehow, and mostly by attending Oshkosh in the 70's and hanging out in the Warbird area, I fell in love with the big band music, or swing music if you will. You know, the Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Harry James, etc., etc. I can still recall many walks up to the big food tent up there and enjoying a nice meal while listening to that music.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd sure like to show up for the fly in one time and hear that music again. And wouldn't it even be nice if that were the main music attraction on Monday night with a big "swing" dance type theme?

For those that disagree and consider my suggestion (or dream) utter nonsense, that's fine. Nobody has to agree with me or also think that would be a good thing. I'm more than happy to imagine this and enjoy this in my mind all by myself. :-)

I like that idea. The idea is a festivity, not a con that the musical act is a "headliner", when in reality their next show is the Park County Fair in WY ( which is my hometown fair ). Very good idea, more like a welcome to Oshkosh. Excellent!

Jim Rosenow
02-22-2015, 03:36 PM
That makes at least 3 of us. :)

Dave Stadt
02-22-2015, 03:45 PM

There was a great swing band that played on the main stage last year. Turn out was great and the audience was more into it than the Monday night concert.

1600vw
02-22-2015, 10:31 PM
There was a great swing band that played on the main stage last year. Turn out was great and the audience was more into it than the Monday night concert.

I bet so. I would not expect a bunch of gray haired folks to like what someone say in their early 20's likes. Its called a generation gap for a reason. If anyone wants to get the younger generation into aviation or anything for that mattter, one better learn how to bridge that generation gap. Many have been trying this for generation, and most never succeeded. One must think like a young person. I guarantee not many young people want to hear any big band.

If you are trying to draw more of the older generations. I say go for the big band. If that is the target audience you are going for.

I know Air Venture is not about the music, but if one wants the younger crowed to come, give them something to bring them. Its evident the airplanes are not working. But the airplanes and the people will keep them. Today one must jump through hoops to get the younger crowed to do much anything. In our time we looked for things like airshows and such. Not so much for the younger crowed. They have their noses stuck in some electronic device. You must get their attention. A good musical performance of someone they like just might do that. Even if the older generation may not like it. Its not for us, its for the kids, its about the kids or younger generation.

Jim Rosenow
02-23-2015, 05:01 AM
I know Air Venture is not about the music, but if one wants the younger crowed to come, give them something to bring them. Its evident the airplanes are not working. But the airplanes and the people will keep them. Today one must jump through hoops to get the younger crowed to do much anything. In our time we looked for things like airshows and such. Not so much for the younger crowed. They have their noses stuck in some electronic device. You must get their attention. A good musical performance of someone they like just might do that. Even if the older generation may not like it. Its not for us, its for the kids, its about the kids or younger generation.

Concur that the Oshkosh fly-in is not (or at least IMHO should not be) about the music. If the airplanes aren't working to attract some folks, I'm fine with that. It's NOT about the younger generation. It's about the target audience, which I believe to be people with an interest in aviation. Hopefully, that includes some younger folks. If not, so be it. Guess I'm just not a hoop-jumper-thruer.

I've been giving Young Eagles rides and Eagles rides since long before EAA codified the phrases. In all that time, I've never felt the need to get folks to the airport thru anything other than an offer of the experience. If that doesn't work for them, so be it.

Jim

BeagleOne
02-23-2015, 09:12 AM
I was born in the 1960s, and I LOVE Big Band/swing music! I would love that for an opening-night act. I left when Chicago was playing because I consider most of their music sappy, and I almost left during the Steve Miller Band because they were playing so much new (and not very good IMO) material.

1600vw
02-23-2015, 09:42 AM
I was born in 1960 and I too love the big bands. In the Mood by Glen Miller, I would listen to this while working back in the 70's. I had to clean and mop a big huge dance hall. During the day it was a day care, at night they did all sorts of stuff, it was my job to get this room ready for the nights use. I was 15 when I started doing this. They had big huge speakers hanging all around. I plugged my little tape deck into this sytem and would jam on glen miller as I worked. I would also listen to other big bands but really liked Glen Miller.

I played Trombone back then. Someone stole it and I have not played in years. I use to have metals I won playing this.

krw920
02-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Concur that the Oshkosh fly-in is not (or at least IMHO should not be) about the music. If the airplanes aren't working to attract some folks, I'm fine with that. It's NOT about the younger generation. It's about the target audience, which I believe to be people with an interest in aviation. Hopefully, that includes some younger folks. If not, so be it. Guess I'm just not a hoop-jumper-thruer.

I've been giving Young Eagles rides and Eagles rides since long before EAA codified the phrases. In all that time, I've never felt the need to get folks to the airport thru anything other than an offer of the experience. If that doesn't work for them, so be it.

Jim

While it's not experimental aircraft, but where have been the big planes recently? No B1's, Concords, etc? Lucky to get a transport plane in and I know the Concord will never happen again, but where are the big cool planes? To me, those are a big draw. While I go to the concerts because they have them, I would rather see really cool airplanes file up the plaza!

FlyingRon
02-23-2015, 11:58 AM
The last few years the military has either been outright barred or just cut way back on appearances. The EAA takes who they can get to come on their own nickle be it the military, people like Orbis or Airbus, or Fedex, etc...

Dave Stadt
02-23-2015, 12:54 PM
I bet so. I would not expect a bunch of gray haired folks to like what someone say in their early 20's likes. Its called a generation gap for a reason. If anyone wants to get the younger generation into aviation or anything for that mattter, one better learn how to bridge that generation gap. Many have been trying this for generation, and most never succeeded. One must think like a young person. I guarantee not many young people want to hear any big band.

If you are trying to draw more of the older generations. I say go for the big band. If that is the target audience you are going for.

Obviously you were not there.

1600vw
02-24-2015, 05:25 AM
Obviously you were not there.

Not in 2014, you are right. I have been there and done that. I doubt anything has changed.

Joe Delene
03-01-2015, 08:15 AM
The music act they usually have Monday night isn't so much to attract new folks to Airventure, it's a treat for those that already go. What's next, a rap group, complete with metal detectors at the gates?

For most they could easily go to a group they like near their home much easier than be overly concerned with the act at Oshkosh. There isn't a one choice where you won't have some saying, 'now I have Monday night free'. Any group is nice, but it doesn't 'make or break' Airventure.

Roger Janssens
03-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Ever since Chicago was announced for their first appearance at AirVenture (2010) I've been thinking that there's a whole range of similarly-named bands that could be invited: Kansas, Boston, America, ... It turns out that one of those bands is giving two shows in the Lake Michigan area the weekend before AirVenture 2015. I may be accused of being a musical dinosaur (perhaps that's why I keep listening to 1968-1972 Pink Floyd live shows all the time), but I would look forward to that band playing in Oshkosh on the Monday. It's the kind of music I listen to while driving down US highways anyway (but that may be because there's nothing else to listen to and survive :-)).

1600vw
03-05-2015, 06:46 AM
I'm in for Pink Floyd.

Floatsflyer
03-05-2015, 11:41 AM
America was one of my favourites way back when. I had my 8-track(you youngins can google it) in the car blaring away their first album all the time. They still perform, would be cool to see them on Monday or any time.

Forget about Pink Floyd, they stopped touring years ago. But Brit Floyd, a bang on, note for note fabulous tribute band is available. Check them out, you'll think they're the real thing.

Hal Bryan
04-02-2015, 07:37 AM
For all those who've been wondering about our opening night concert (http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/2015-eaa-airventure-oshkosh/04-02-2015-dierks-bentley-to-headline-eaa-airventures-opening-day-concert)...

FlyingRon
04-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Cool, not a bad choice for all ages (especially seeing he's also a pilot).
Maybe we'll see him down ogling the planes like we saw Steve Miller (and he wasn't even a pilot).

MADean
04-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Well all I know is...

If EAA goes one more year without booking the Moody Blues, as the opening act, there are a number of middle aged women who are going to have my hide. And not in a good way. (Somehow they seem to think that, because I'm a member, I have pull at Hq.)

By the way, Hq... the rumor is that if you contact the MB management NOW, you may be able to book them for next year. And I've been instructed to let you know that the band just LUuuuuuuuVES touring the U.S. in the summer.

Floatsflyer
04-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Disappointing....for me at least. Ya, I know he's a big C&W star but I'm not a C&W fan, so my Monday night is wide open.

I'm hoping that some of the other acts of the week to be announced will be of interest to a wider audience of musical tastes and genres. I would certainly talk to him about airplanes if I ran into him.

Floatsflyer
04-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Well all I know is...

If EAA goes one more year without booking the Moody Blues, as the opening act, there are a number of middle aged women who are going to have my hide

Get yourself in a plane now and fly out to Niagara Falls, Ontario. The MB's are playing there tonight at Fallsview Casino. I, like you and many others, love the MB's, there's always next year--vote early, vote often to realize "Your Wildest Dreams..."

FlyingRon
04-02-2015, 04:47 PM
I'm not the biggest country fan in the world, but I'm tired of hearing washed up used-to-be's.

steve
04-02-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm not the biggest country fan in the world, but I'm tired of hearing washed up used-to-be's.

+1

Joe Delene
04-15-2015, 08:53 AM
It's impossible to get any one or group that is an absolute hit with everyone. He's fine by me. I didn't know he was a pilot, if that's true? If so, that is an added bonus.

Cary
05-07-2015, 08:00 PM
It's impossible to get any one or group that is an absolute hit with everyone. He's fine by me. I didn't know he was a pilot, if that's true? If so, that is an added bonus.
Gary Senise's Lt. Dan Band is as close to any that can be a hit with everyone. I've never seen a band that is more versatile, everything from WWII era through the most recent stuff--and lots of fun doing it. So I'm glad to see that they'll be back this year.

Cary

Floatsflyer
05-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Gary Senise's Lt. Dan Band is as close to any that can be a hit with everyone. Cary

http://eaaforums.org/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif +1

Very tight band with great singers and eclectic set list. Glad they're back.

vaflier
05-07-2015, 10:16 PM
How about a 1940's WWII themed hangar party. All the men in uniform of the day and the ladies dressed apropriately. Big band music and singers. Heck lets throw a monster party in Aeroshell Square. Landed at an airport last year and a party like this was just getting started, it looked like a really great time for all.

Cary
05-08-2015, 01:06 PM
How about a 1940's WWII themed hangar party. All the men in uniform of the day and the ladies dressed apropriately. Big band music and singers. Heck lets throw a monster party in Aeroshell Square. Landed at an airport last year and a party like this was just getting started, it looked like a really great time for all.
I don't think that they make uniforms that will fit me! The battler of the bulge has won.

Cary