PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel Tire Blow Outs

Bill Greenwood
01-09-2015, 11:16 PM
This has been known for a year or so, but is vital and I just saw it on Wix, so wanted to make sure anyone using a tailwheel on a T-6 or P-51 avoids using the past ones from Desser that have the "made on Vietnam" on the side. They can and have exploded, just blown a hole right thru the sidewall, even when being towed, not even under stress of landing or takeoff which could do some real damage.
Phone Desser and get the replacement the says. "made in China" on the side.
And pass the word on to anyone else, please.

Dana
01-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Now there's a switch, seeing "made in China" aircraft parts as a desirable thing!

Aaron Novak
01-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Now there's a switch, seeing "made in China" aircraft parts as a desirable thing!

The lesser of two evils? Taking 2 steps forward in quality seems great, especially if you have forgotten that you already took 43 back.

Byron J. Covey
01-11-2015, 05:43 AM

I can remember when "Made in Japan" was a clear sign of an inferior product. Now, after driving USA, then German, and then Japaneese autos, I'll stick with the Japaneese and never go back. Yes, I know that the newer USA autos are better. I've driven a variety of them, but when I get back into my 1995 Toyota truck with 240,000 miles, I really appreciate the absence of wind noise.

Now that several aircraft and aircraft kit manufacturers have been purchased by Chinese businessmen, and they are investing R&D money in the businesses, I wonder what the future holds for the USA aircraft industry.

BJC

Bill Greenwood
01-11-2015, 12:14 PM
If I know history, one reason the Frencb invaded Vietnam was for their rubber. Michelin not only makes some of the best auto tires, but airplane tires.
I have used Dunlop aircraft tires in the past, don't know where the rubber came from or how much of it is natural rubber and how much synthetic. But the Dunlop tires were great, they were something like 8 or 10 ply and so strong that you could barely bend them with your hands. Main tires where inflated to about 62 lbls and the small tailwheel to 70 lbs, There was no need for extreme pressure to support the tire.
Nowadays you can get a tailwheel tire with a U S name on it that is very cheap maybe $40,but the quality is very poor, If the Dunlop is a 10, these new ones are maybe a 3 or 4. You can just see the sidewall construction is weak, maybe a 4 ply and the tire is so much lighter than a Dunlop, just not much substance to it. We are lucky that we have any tires in some sizes I guess.