PDA

View Full Version : Fly Baby On Skis!

rwanttaja
12-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Bradley and Ernie Kiss' airplane, up Canada way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFx3ahk0WnM

Ron Wanttaja

Frank Giger
12-08-2014, 08:18 AM
That is a huge amount of foam they put on the runway. Sheesh, looks like they just sprayed everything with it.

I do have a question on skis being put on airplanes:

What kind of boat pulls them?

martymayes
12-08-2014, 01:58 PM
That's cool Ron. Ski flying is on my bucket list.

rwanttaja
12-08-2014, 02:14 PM
That is a huge amount of foam they put on the runway. Sheesh, looks like they just sprayed everything with it.

Get out of Alabama, much, Frank? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Chick
12-08-2014, 07:41 PM

That's OK Frank, my wife is from Wisconsin. They put that stuff everywhere!

Frank Giger
12-11-2014, 08:34 AM
:)

I actually did my snow time in lots of places, including Montana. No desire to get involved in the white stuff again now that I'm old enough to ache over stuff I did when I was young.

Serious question - how hard is it to taxi on skis? Is it just a matter of giving one more space to make turns?

Bob Dingley
12-11-2014, 01:52 PM
:)

I actually did my snow time in lots of places, including Montana. No desire to get involved in the white stuff again now that I'm old enough to ache over stuff I did when I was young.

Serious question - how hard is it to taxi on skis? Is it just a matter of giving one more space to make turns?
Well you do need some instruction. My first solo was in Feb, in Maine, in a J-3. I pretty much knew it all after 4 hrs on wheels. I was 17. My first try at taxiing, my CFI said to treat it like a seaplane. That meant nothing to me. I taxied to the end of the RW (it was a snap) and started a 180. Unfortunatly I turned with the X-wind on my tail. The Cub just went straight until the nose was almost in the trees on the RW boundery. My CFI said " don't do downwind turns. Now get out and lift the tail around." Snow was 2 feet deep.

I soloed after another 3.8 hrs on skis and skis were a piece of cake. DONT EVER MAKE DOWNWIND TAXI TURNS.

Bob