PDA

View Full Version : Newbie researching airshow collision at Frederick MD labor day 1966

Glider-Rider
12-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Hi, Thanks for having me. My name is Henry White and I am hoping to learn more about a collision which occured at the above show, or almost anything glider related from there in the 60's to early 70's.

I believe one planes prop hit the rudder of the one in front, and both made hard landings, both survived, or that is my understanding anyway. I am wondering what ever happened to the pilots and their aircraft, if anyone knows? I believe one pilots son is now EAA out of Galt CA. Not real sure on that part.

While on the subject of Frederick field in the 60's, I may as well ask, does anyone have any pictures of MASA gliders from there around that time? I would love to find pictures of my dad or me in the club's Schweizer 2-22. I know that's a long shot though. The glider also flew out of Westminster I beleive. My dad was Herbert White, EAA member back then IIRC. Dad owned a glider back in the early 50's, I wonder, is there any way to see if it is still around? I realize I need the numbers, I have one old photo, as best I can tell the numbers on the tail are NC 3042 and it appears this one is so old it does not have a wheel but skids? Does that sound right? I wish I could post pics.

I know this goes way back.

I recently rode in Aluminum Overcast on 4 October at Frederick, wish I could do that every day! Thank you, Henry

FlyingRon
12-05-2014, 02:54 PM
I suppose you saw these:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FILE DATE LOCATION AIRCRAFT DATA INJURIES FLIGHT PILOT DATA
F S M/N PURPOSE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2-0782 66/9/5 FREDERICK MD CASSUTT Q SPL CR- 0 1 0 MISCELLANEOUS PRIVATE, AGE 42, 2700
TIME - 1434 N190A PX- 0 0 0 AIR SHOW/RACING TOTAL HOURS, 139 IN TYPE,
DAMAGE-DESTROYED OT- 0 0 1 NOT INSTRUMENT RATED.
NAME OF AIRPORT - FREDRICK MUN.
TYPE OF ACCIDENT PHASE OF OPERATION
COLLISION WITH AIRCRAFT: BOTH IN FLIGHT IN FLIGHT: NORMAL CRUISE
PROBABLE CAUSE(S)
PERSONNEL - MISCELLANEOUS-PERSONNEL: PILOT OF OTHER AIRCRAFT
SPECIAL DATA
SEGMENTS OF AVIATION INVOLVED - SMALL US GEN.AV.-SMALL US GEN.AV.
CONTROLLING AGENCY - NO CONTROL RADAR CTL/SURVEILLANCE - NOT UNDER RADAR CONTACT
TRAFFIC ADVISORY ISSUED - NONE CONTROLLED/UNCONTROLLED AIRPORT - UNCONTROLLED AIRPORT
CONTROL ZONE/AREA - NO EVASIVE ACTION TAKEN - NO
REMARKS- MID-AIR COLLISION OCCURRED WHEN N4762S OVERTOOK N190A DURING AIR RACE.

2-0782 66/9/5 FREDERICK MD CASSUTT CPJ-3 CR- 0 0 1 MISCELLANEOUS COMMERCIAL, AGE 39, 6000
TIME - 1434 N4762S PX- 0 0 0 AIR SHOW/RACING TOTAL HOURS, 124 IN TYPE,
DAMAGE-DESTROYED OT- 0 1 0 NOT INSTRUMENT RATED.
NAME OF AIRPORT - FREDRICK MUN.
TYPE OF ACCIDENT PHASE OF OPERATION
COLLISION WITH AIRCRAFT: BOTH IN FLIGHT IN FLIGHT: NORMAL CRUISE
PROBABLE CAUSE(S)
PILOT IN COMMAND - FAILED TO SEE AND AVOID OTHER AIRCRAFT
SPECIAL DATA
SEGMENTS OF AVIATION INVOLVED - SMALL US GEN.AV.-SMALL US GEN.AV.
CONTROLLING AGENCY - NO CONTROL RADAR CTL/SURVEILLANCE - NOT UNDER RADAR CONTACT
TRAFFIC ADVISORY ISSUED - NONE CONTROLLED/UNCONTROLLED AIRPORT - UNCONTROLLED AIRPORT
CONTROL ZONE/AREA - NO EVASIVE ACTION TAKEN - NO
REMARKS- MID-AIR COLLISION OCCURRED WHEN N4762S OVERTOOK N190A DURING AIR RACE.

Dana
12-05-2014, 03:53 PM
N3042 is assigned to a Piper J4 (http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=3042).

FlyingRon
12-06-2014, 06:38 AM
While it's possible it only had a skid, many gliders have a single main wheel that fits fairly tightly into the fuselage. If your picture shows it sitting on the ground, it can be difficult to see that there is a wheel there. On the Schweizers if the wing in the foreground is tipped down, it's blocking the view of the wheel in the shot typically. The gear is also frequently retractible so if you're looking at a shot in the air, it may just be retracted.

Glider-Rider
12-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Flying Ron, I had never seen that before, thanks for posting it.

The pic I have is at take off, maybe 10' in the air, not the Schweizer, but one much older, I dont know what it is. I see only daylight under there. I may yet find more paperwork. I recently found old copies of Soaring magazine back to 1951 or 52, Naval Aviation, pics from Fairchild,
Maps, etc.

Dana, I guess I have my numbers wrong, it is at a bad angle. But thank you for researching that.

The plane that got hit was Jerry Quarton's "Lil Rascal", I cant recall the other pilots name. I think it is mentioned briefly in a thread here somewhere.

Thank you, Henry White

FlyingRon
12-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Scan it in and post it here... someone possibly will recognize (at least tell you what model it is, if not about that specific plane).

If you're really curious, the Mid-Atlantic Soaring Association is still in operation and they used to pretty much be the glider operation at FDK. Some of the old timers there may be able to help:

http://www.midatlanticsoaring.org

Infidel
12-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Any chance your father kept a logbook or any other records of his aviation exploits? If you can locate any, I'd say you'll find the registration number for his glider. Also, AOPA is located at Frederick and it maye be a long shot but, they may have some archives you can view or they can direct you to someone on the field that does.

Glider-Rider
12-07-2014, 06:06 PM
I will try to have a picture posted, it will take a while at best though. Thank you for the link to MASA.

I havent found a log book, I doubt I will. But I had something here which indicated what model glider he had. I need to find that again. I didnt know AOPA was located there, I shall see if they can help too.

Thank you all SO MUCH. I lost my dad 2 years ago, he was 1st LT. United States Air Force, Strategic Air Command, and began his civilian career in the wind tunnels as an aeronautical engineer at DTMB Carderock MD where I know he worked on V/STOL aircraft among other things. This means so much to me, you all are the greatest. Thanks again, Henry