PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Archives

Kyle Boatright
12-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Can someone post a link to the archives for Vintage magazine?

I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks,

Kyle

Chris In Marshfield
12-15-2014, 07:56 AM
I called EAA and asked them the same question a few weeks ago after I joined Vintage. There isn't an electronic archive for Vintage. They were able to mail a hard copy of the issue I was looking for, so that might be an option for you.

But I would love to see a Vintage archive come online one day.

~Chris

Kyle Boatright
12-15-2014, 07:46 PM
I called EAA and asked them the same question a few weeks ago after I joined Vintage. There isn't an electronic archive for Vintage. They were able to mail a hard copy of the issue I was looking for, so that might be an option for you.

But I would love to see a Vintage archive come online one day.

~Chris

Selected issues (or articles - can't remember) used to be available online. That link is broken for me now.

I wonder how much it would cost Vintage to scan the material and host an archive?

That would be a nice thing for them to add to the "To do list"...

PaulDow
12-16-2014, 11:25 AM
There's a new head of the VAA, http://www.postcrescent.com/story/money/2014/12/13/eaa-announces-two-staff-additions/20325801/maybe she would be interested in getting that project started.

John Craparo
12-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Remember that the EAA is a member organization and most of the work done for the organization is done by volunteers and donors. The online archive of Sport Aviation Magazine was made due to a donor who proposed the idea and then funded the scanning. You might want to start by formally suggesting the archive for Vintage to its editor and then taking action to see it through. I would not count on wish lists or to-do lists to make it happen, its up to the volunteers to improve services in my opinion.

John Craparo
EAA Lifetime Member
youcanflynow.com

Kyle Boatright
12-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Remember that the EAA is a member organization and most of the work done for the organization is done by volunteers and donors. The online archive of Sport Aviation Magazine was made due to a donor who proposed the idea and then funded the scanning. You might want to start by formally suggesting the archive for Vintage to its editor and then taking action to see it through. I would not count on wish lists or to-do lists to make it happen, its up to the volunteers to improve services in my opinion.

John Craparo
EAA Lifetime Member
youcanflynow.com

EAA sold a DVD copy of the archives 10+ years ago. Those archives were not available online until several years later. As someone who bought the DVD set, I was a bit conflicted when the material became a standard (AKA free) member benefit. That said, I assumed that the members who bought the DVD's were the ones who footed the bill.

Skyhook
12-21-2014, 11:57 AM
EAA sold a DVD copy of the archives 10+ years ago. Those archives were not available online until several years later. As someone who bought the DVD set, I was a bit conflicted when the material became a standard (AKA free) member benefit. That said, I assumed that the members who bought the DVD's were the ones who footed the bill.

I guess you just need to be thankful for a ten-year head start?

I have had similar experiences with other organizations.

To quote WC Fields when flying through cloudy skies and the pilot asked him to look down and report what he saw: "The sun".

Jim Hann
01-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Can someone post a link to the archives for Vintage magazine?

I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks,

Kyle
Kyle, it is in the members section of www.vintageaircraft.org if you didn't find it. Looks like our fabulous volunteer staff is up to early 2013 for the online archive.

Jim
Vintage member

Kyle Boatright
01-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Kyle, it is in the members section of www.vintageaircraft.org if you didn't find it. Looks like our fabulous volunteer staff is up to early 2013 for the online archive.

Jim
Vintage member

Thanks, Jim.

Here's the actual link if you're a Vintage member:

http://members.eaavintage.org/v-a-magazine/back-issues/