PDA

View Full Version : Motor Home Camping at OSH

Md11pilot
11-04-2014, 04:14 PM
We attended our first AirVenture this year and have booked a motor home to stay on the property next year. My question is...there seems to be camping areas near the Ultra Lights, close to the Antiques and Happy Hollow. The motorhome vendor said they tend to use Sleepy Hollow. Which do most of you recommend? We are going to have them deliver, setup and then pickup, so we will not be driving in other than on our motorcycle.

malexander
11-06-2014, 03:18 PM
We've been staying at Sleepy Hollow the past 14 years. I wouldn't even consider staying anyplace else. The people there have become family to us.If it weren't for Jeff, Pam, Trista, & Kyra, I'm not so sure I'd make it a "have to go to place" every year. In fact, I know I wouldn't!

gbrasch
11-06-2014, 05:03 PM
But as you know, opinions are like........you know. I could say the same about Scholler, have made life long friends there, so I guess it all boils down to opinion.

Md11pilot
11-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Just so I am clear...Sleepy Hollow is the "closest" one to the Main Gate and not the area by the Ultra Lite field?

malexander
11-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Just so I am clear...Sleepy Hollow is the "closest" one to the Main Gate and not the area by the Ultra Lite field?

Scholler, it seems, is spread out all over the place. So, I'm not sure Sleepy Hollow is closest.

malexander
11-06-2014, 07:45 PM
But as you know, opinions are like........you know. I could say the same about Scholler, have made life long friends there, so I guess it all boils down to opinion.I agree!! Do the rental companies deliver to Scholler?

Md11pilot
11-07-2014, 04:18 AM
Not sure if rental companies deliver to Scholler but the one I am using did recommend Happy Hollow. We cannot book a space until January for next year. My wife and I are so looking forward to this again and my soon to be three year old grandson asks when he can go back. Sorry it took me so many years to go. We loved the whole experience.

MNWORD
11-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Do the rental companies deliver to Scholler Yes they do, in my experience Camp Scholler is closer to the main gate but you have to get there early to get close, if you are in the middle or out by 41 they do have bus service to drop you at the entrance to the Air Show....

Zack Baughman
11-07-2014, 08:39 AM
I have nothing against Sleepy Hollow and have a number of friends that stay there, but a word of warning. It is right across the street from the SOS Bros. beer tent, which typically has bands playing most every night. Some of the bands are good, some not so good, but they are all very LOUD! Bring your earplugs if you want some quiet in the evening.

Md11pilot
11-07-2014, 11:34 AM
I have nothing against Sleepy Hollow and have a number of friends that stay there, but a word of warning. It is right across the street from the SOS Bros. beer tent, which typically has bands playing most every night. Some of the bands are good, some not so good, but they are all very LOUD! Bring your earplugs if you want some quiet in the evening. Thanks for the info.

malexander
11-09-2014, 06:27 AM
I have nothing against Sleepy Hollow and have a number of friends that stay there, but a word of warning. It is right across the street from the SOS Bros. beer tent, which typically has bands playing most every night. Some of the bands are good, some not so good, but they are all very LOUD! Bring your earplugs if you want some quiet in the evening.

They are loud.....up until 11 or 12, I'm not sure. They must have a curfew because I've been staying there for 13 or 14 years, up in the little "cove" that's closest to Waukau<spelling> and it's never been a problem. When I go to bed (about 10) I hear them, but it seems like 11 or 12, they put a lid on it,totally. The noise isn't really that bad anyway. AND it's not a bad palce to eat supper and get a beer after all day on the airport. Matter of fact, it's really good.....and close.
Sleepy Hollow also runs a free (tips accepted) shuttle to & from the gate. AND most of the drivers are GORGEOUS.:)

Kyle Boatright
11-09-2014, 07:34 AM
They are loud.....up until 11 or 12, I'm not sure. They must have a curfew because I've been staying there for 13 or 14 years, up in the little "cove" that's closest to Waukau<spelling> and it's never been a problem. When I go to bed (about 10) I hear them, but it seems like 11 or 12, they put a lid on it,totally.

They (SOS brothers) do have a "hard stop" in the evening. I've been there when they pulled the plug...

TedK
11-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Do the rental companies deliver to Scholler Yes they do, in my experience Camp Scholler is closer to the main gate but you have to get there early to get close, if you are in the middle or out by 41 they do have bus service to drop you at the entrance to the Air Show....

Do you guys know which companies will deliver to Scholler?

I thought they they only delivered to the private campgrounds ...

Jim Hann
11-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Do you guys know which companies will deliver to Scholler?

I thought they they only delivered to the private campgrounds ...
I haven't rented but I believe one of them is Van Boxtel: http://www.vanboxtelrv.com/rv-rentals.html

Md11pilot
11-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Jim you are correct. They just told me that Sleep Hollow will reserve your spot after Jan 1 but Camp Scholler will start charging you for the requested spot the day you say you want it. I called Van Boxtel during OSH 2014 and booked the last Class A they had. Not cheap but it is better for my family. How is the wing coming?

Jim Hann
11-11-2014, 03:26 AM
Jim you are correct. They just told me that Sleep Hollow will reserve your spot after Jan 1 but Camp Scholler will start charging you for the requested spot the day you say you want it. I called Van Boxtel during OSH 2014 and booked the last Class A they had. Not cheap but it is better for my family. How is the wing coming?

Scholler does charge a lower rate from opening day until a week or so before the show, but it is still money. I haven't tried Sleepy Hollow but they sound like a nice place. Good to hear that you have a motorhome reserved! I have friends from Chicago that were booked for a regular Class A that died on the way to their house and they ended up with a longer, larger, Freightliner based mega-rig! We gave them all kinds of grief about the size of that puppy, but they were definitely comfortable.

The wing is doing well, they both are. Best part is I did get some tail :D INSTALLED :D before I left for my trip. Everything is hooked up and safetied, just needs to be rigged and inspected. Unfortunately I won't get much more done before the beginning of the year, domestic flying is crazy during peak on the A-300.

Jim
http://eaaforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4295&stc=1
http://eaaforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4300&stc=1