PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two lost

Sirota
10-31-2014, 12:57 PM
I just heard on the news that Virgin Galactic lost Space Ship Two a few minutes ago - no other details were given. Anyone have any more information?

rwanttaja
10-31-2014, 01:56 PM
I just heard on the news that Virgin Galactic lost Space Ship Two a few minutes ago - no other details were given. Anyone have any more information?
Data is still coming in. One fatal, one serious injury. System had switched to a new plastic-based fuel from the previous rubber-based one. Looking for a higher specific impulse, I believe (e.g., more power). "There's a fine line between a rocket and a bomb...and the finer the line, the better the rocket."

One report said the engine started, then stopped, then started, and stopped again, then exploded. I suspect the engine isn't designed for a restart, and this could be a significant data point. Imagery shows the vehicle scattered in pieces on the desert floor, so the crew would have had to use personal parachutes.

Ron Wanttaja

Sirota
10-31-2014, 01:59 PM
A sad day for the program. News just reported one fatality and one serious injury. I hope Branson doesn't give up.

Floatsflyer
10-31-2014, 07:21 PM
In an interview with someone close to the project, he said that the accident would either bring it to an end because of the costs or set it back 1 or 2 decades.

Kyle Boatright
10-31-2014, 08:20 PM
In an interview with someone close to the project, he said that the accident would either bring it to an end because of the costs or set it back 1 or 2 decades.

Maybe, but the problem could have been something easy to fix. Remember the G650 that crashed on a test flight a year and a half ago? That barely slowed the certification of the G650. Apples and oranges, I know, but a mishap isn't necessarily a show stopper.

More importantly, RIP to the deceased, and hope the survivor recovers quickly. Thoughts to their families, friends, and co-workers.

skier
11-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Maybe, but the problem could have been something easy to fix. Remember the G650 that crashed on a test flight a year and a half ago? That barely slowed the certification of the G650.

Then there was the Skycatcher. Cessna has two prototypes crash during spin testing. They still followed through with that project.

Floatsflyer
11-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Then there was the Skycatcher. Cessna has two prototypes crash during spin testing. They still followed through with that project.

Really!?!?.....How'd that work out for ya?

Go back and read Kyle's complete understanding of the fruit family.

rwanttaja
11-01-2014, 12:20 PM
No fatalities, and it's not like the design hinged on some very cutting-edge technology....

Ron Wanttaja

WLIU
11-06-2014, 07:19 AM
So today's good news appears to be that the surviving pilot, Peter Siebold, was discharged from the hospital Monday. Folks are amazed at his having the spacecraft leaving him at something like 60,000' and mach 1 in nothing but a flight suit and a parachute. Be very interesting to hear the entire story once he is debriefed.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

Joe Delene
11-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Seems to be some critical talk about their whole space program from some of those that know the subject, NASA/rocketry folks. Glad at least the one pilot made it, I do think it will be a serious setback.

I notice L Decaprio invested $$ into the project, and is a possible future traveler. Since he is a firm anti 'global warming' advocate I wonder how that meshes? Here we are taxing excessive carbon emissions, but they can spend oodles on what mostly amounts to a 'joy ride'.

Reminds me of a conversation with one that thought a guy shouldn't go grouse hunting, as they ate a chicken sandwich.

Jim Hann
11-11-2014, 03:45 AM
I think this article gives a nice rebuttal to those who feel it isn't worth the price: http://www.wired.com/2014/11/in-defense-of-space-tourism/

I have one simple comment... What the hell happened to us? From the Wright Brothers to the Apollo program engineers and beyond engineers are shaking their heads.

rwanttaja
11-11-2014, 10:41 AM
I think this article gives a nice rebuttal to those who feel it isn't worth the price: http://www.wired.com/2014/11/in-defense-of-space-tourism/

I've discussed this in detail on other fora, but to recap my own attitude: SS1/SS2 are cool, but dead-end technology. Getting to and from orbit is the key to opening space, and the equipment developed for VG doesn't help us get there. It's a technological hurdle, not a public-acceptance one.

I have one simple comment... What the hell happened to us? From the Wright Brothers to the Apollo program engineers and beyond engineers are shaking their heads.

The world sees over 70 launches into space each year. We've got spacecraft operating through the entire solar system and beyond; have landed others safely on three objects in the solar system (and are about to land on a fourth); Some Earth orbits are so crowded there are international committees to coordinate additions. As an engineer with 35+ years experience in military and civil space programs, I've been personally involved in the design, development, launch, test, or operations for about 14 separate spacecraft. Been involved in preliminary design or proposals for about 20 more. If I'm shaking my head, it's because I want a couple of years of just nice quiet feasibility studies before I retire.

Manned space vehicles...not so much. Manned space flight is the hardest thing humankind has ever done, and like all hard things, it takes a reason to do them. The challenge itself is sufficient in most endeavors, but manned space flight is also the most *expensive* thing we've ever done. It's a game of nations, not corporations. Its economic return (vs. unmanned systems) is near zero; in this day and age, only countries can afford to play.

Traditionally, exploration has been driven by national pride or the expectation of profit. Manned spaceflight is big on the first, but until one can break even on it, you're not going to see the spread of manned exploration until you can get the cost way down. No bucks, no Buck Rodgers.

Ron Wanttaja

Tom Charpentier
11-11-2014, 01:29 PM
have landed others safely on three objects in the solar system (and are about to land on a fourth)

Actually 4 going on 5 (first successful soft landings on each in parentheses)
-The Moon (Luna 9 1966)
-Venus (Venera 7 1970)
-Mars (Mars 3 1971)
-Titan (Huygens 2005)
-Comet 67P/C-G (Rosetta tomorrow (?))

Jim Hann
11-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks Ron.

PPL1973
11-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Comet...Check! As of yesterday.