PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Reg vs American Reg

MolsonB
10-16-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm a Canadian citizen and going to build an US experimental this winter. To register the plane in Canada, they want a pre-cover inspection and will have to fly the inspector down each time things get covered up. That will be a pain in the butt along with the plane being classified as high performance because of wing loading. The US registration process seems a lot easier, so my main question is. Is there any issues or downside keeping the plane N registered, and flying it all over Canada/US? I'll have to get my FAA license, but that's it from everything I'm reading.. Maybe Cuba won't like me, but I don't plane to ever visit that dump again.

Frank Giger
10-16-2014, 07:49 AM
Hmmm, why couldn't one get the US airworthy certificate, fly off the 40 hours, take it to Canada and just change the registration?

martymayes
10-16-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm a Canadian citizen and going to build an US experimental this winter. To register the plane in Canada, they want a pre-cover inspection and will have to fly the inspector down each time things get covered up. That will be a pain in the butt along with the plane being classified as high performance because of wing loading. The US registration process seems a lot easier, so my main question is. Is there any issues or downside keeping the plane N registered, and flying it all over Canada/US? I'll have to get my FAA license, but that's it from everything I'm reading.. Maybe Cuba won't like me, but I don't plane to ever visit that dump again.

Are you also a US citizen?

To register the plane in the US the owner or majority ownership has to be a citizen of the US. Perhaps you can sign over 51% of the airplane to me? ;)

( I'll take good care of it, lol)

Floatsflyer
10-16-2014, 03:33 PM
As a fellow Canadian, I would strongly suggest you contact an EAA Canadian chapter close to you and also contact a close chapter of The Recreational Aircraft Association of Canada(RAAC) to receive authoritative info and answers for your concerns. If you are a member of COPA speak to them as well.

MolsonB
10-16-2014, 08:03 PM
COPA has a good PDF on a Guide to Amateur-Builts

http://www.copanational.org/files/COPAGuidetoAmateurBuilts.pdf

Canada (MD-RA) doesn't accept USA DAR's anymore for the inspections. I'd have to fly down a Canadian inspector before each pre-cover. I'd have to work with the builder so the pre-cover inspections would happen all at once (wings, fuselage, stabilator).

The only real drawback I see from N-reg the plane and flying it for the 100hours to import, is the tax (13%) will be on the appraised value of the plane. Doesn't matter if I've been taxed already when buying the parts. I am not a US citizen, but can reg the plane to the company for the time being..

MolsonB
11-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Weighing the pros and cons and talking with MD-RA, (EAA Canadian chapters didn't get back to me), it looks like I'll be going Canadian register. I have to talk to Transport Canada, but I may be able to apply for a special flight permit to fly off the 25hours in Canada rather then the home base in USA where it will be build.

pittsdriver3
11-24-2014, 08:00 AM
You mentioned the "builder". Do Canadian regs allow for a hired gun to build the airplane? Legally you can't pay a builder if it it going to be US registered. It is done all the time though. Don