PDA

View Full Version : Airventure Share Ride

RickFE
09-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Given the recent stance on "Airpooler" by the FAA, I wonder how that impacts the Ride sharing post for Airventure. It doesn't seem like much of a jump from one to the other.

FlyingRon
09-30-2014, 07:14 PM
The difference is that the Airventure riders and pilots have a commonality of interest, and a bulletin board isn't necessarily holding out.

RickFE
09-30-2014, 07:28 PM
I really don't see how that differs from Airpooler. The commonality would be a ride to somewhere, say Oshkosh, and it is out there on the internet, free for someone to take advantage of.

If there are differences it sure seems like splitting hairs to me.

It makes me wonder if even the airventure rideshare program is a risk for the pilot offering the ride to split expenses.

FlyingRon
10-01-2014, 03:35 AM
The difference in Airpooler is that there is no commonality of interest. The FAA has stated that the site isn't necessarily illegal, but if you're soliciting ride alongs for trips you weren't going to make anyhow or you're holding out to the general public, you're in the realm of commercial (i.e., part 135, etc...) operation.

Note that "cost sharing" isn't even the issue. Even if you didn't charge for the ride, holding out is illegal and flying on demand is illegal.

Splitting the expenses under 61.113 for someone riding along with you to Airventure when you're going appears to be safe.

Running an Uber-like operation is RIGHT OUT.