PDA

View Full Version : not working

flyrite
09-14-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm I the only one that when I'm trying to post in one of the other areas of this forum has problems getting the letters I punch on my keyboard to match what shows up on the screen?

Tony

gbrasch
09-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Never had that happen before.....

flyrite
09-15-2014, 05:13 AM
Yea it's weird...It doesn't happen when I post anywhere else...I'm sure it's probably my computer, I thought I would see if anyone else has had it happen.

Tony

Floatsflyer
09-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks for bringing this up, you aren't alone. It's been happening to me since we got a new laptop a year ago. I thought I was the only one with this phenomenon because no one mentioned it until now. As you, it does not happen anywhere else. Very weird.

I have circumvented this annoyance by using Google Chrome to post because this typing problem does not exist here.

I'm a techno peasant, but I can't believe it's the computer. Why can I post on the Forum without this problem in one browser/search engine and not another.

There are over 9200 registered members here, this must be happening to more than 2 of us. Would like to hear from others as well as those with expertise as to why this could be occurring.

flyrite
09-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks for chimeing in Floatsflyer, It's good to know me & my computer aren't crazy!

Hal any chance some tech help can solve this, cause it really takes twice the time to post here as well as being EXTREEMLY FRUSTRATING !!

Hal Bryan
09-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Hey flyrite - this is an odd one, and it's the first I've heard of it. Since Floats said he fixed it (worked around it, anyway) by switching browsers, that leads me to ask which web browser and operating system you're using? The only browser-specific issue I'm aware that relates to typing/editing posts is with Internet Explorer 10 (on Windows 8), and the <ENTER> key not working as it should, but that doesn't sound quite like what you're experiencing...? Can you give me a clearer idea of the symptoms?

flyrite
09-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Thanks Hal for the response to my problem. Internet explorer is my browser. Symptoms are....Letters & space bar have to be punched 3 or 4 times before finally appearing on the screen.

Thanks
Tony

Hal Bryan
09-16-2014, 07:02 AM
That's a weird one, Tony! Which version of Windows and IE are you using?

If you don't want to switch to a different web browser, there's something else you might try. The forum software (vBulletin) offers three different editors to use to create new forum posts, Enhanced, Basic, and Standard. Here's what they say about them:

When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

I'd strongly encourage you to check which one you're using, and, if it's Enhanced, to try switching to the Standard. To do this, click:

Settings
General Settings
Message Editor Interface (at the bottom under "Miscellaneous Options")
Select "Standard Editor"
Save changes

See if that does the trick and let me know -

Hal

Floatsflyer
09-16-2014, 09:34 AM
The forum software (vBulletin) offers three different editors to use to create new forum posts, Enhanced, Basic, and Standard. Here's what they say about them:

When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

I'd strongly encourage you to check which one you're using, and, if it's Enhanced, to try switching to the Standard.

Hal

My interface was set at enhanced and I switched it to Standard as you suggested. And voila!, I'm typing this without using Google Chrome and there are no longer any annoying issues with typing letters and not seeing them on the screen.

Thanks Hal, so much appreciated. The only problem now is that I can no longer seem to import "Word" or "post" icons. I wanted to show a smiley face and couldn't do it(it showed up as text only)

Floatsflyer
09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
The only problem now is that I can no longer seem to import "Word" or "post" icons. I wanted to show a smiley face and couldn't do it(it showed up as text only)

Never mind! I see the smiley face did show up and then reread the part of "enhanced" being immediate as typed. All is good!

Hal Bryan
09-16-2014, 10:08 AM
All is good!

Great news! Thanks for the follow-up!

flyrite
09-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Hal, You da man....Did what you said & just like floatsflyer....Mine is working great without having to change browsers'

Thanks for the help

Tony aka flyrite

Hal Bryan
09-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Excellent - glad to hear it!