PDA

View Full Version : North 40 parking and camping

vaflier
08-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Does anyone feel that the aircraft in many instances were crammed together way too tightly . I noticed some rows were teed Together so tight there was little to no room for your tent and other rows were wingtip to wingtip. Teeing them in is ok but there needs to be enough room to allow people to walk around their tent without falling on their neighbors. There is a bit of a safety issue with this as well.

frfly172
08-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Looked like some aircraft where very tight,and some had plenty of room ,looks like the regular guests park their airplanes with enough room for the camping experience.

deftone
08-26-2014, 02:45 AM
Are campfires/BBQ's allowed up in North 40? I plan to fly in next year (drove this year). But not sure if I want the safety risk of open flames with really tightly packed in aircraft.

vaflier
08-26-2014, 06:04 AM
Looked like some aircraft where very tight,and some had plenty of room ,looks like the regular guests park their airplanes with enough room for the camping experience.

People were parking as directed by the ground crew.

vaflier
08-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Are campfires/BBQ's allowed up in North 40? I plan to fly in next year (drove this year). But not sure if I want the safety risk of open flames with really tightly packed in aircraft.
I think grilles are allowed but not campfires.

FlyingRon
08-26-2014, 08:32 AM
From the Airventure site:

Fire Safety

The Oshkosh Fire Department strictly prohibits wood campfires and charcoal grills (per National Fire Protection Association standards) anywhere in the aircraft camping areas.
Use of white gas or propane-fired camp stoves is allowed in aircraft camping, provided they are used in an area well away from parked aircraft and that the stove is attended at all times. It is strongly recommended that aircraft near the stove be checked for any fuel fumes or leakage, and the stove be elevated above ground level.

In practice nobody cares much about cooking apparatus, smoking, or alcohol consumption inside individual campsites despite the general prohibitions as long as you keep reasonably to yourself.

frfly172
08-27-2014, 01:32 PM
What's the rule on alcohol consumption in the camp ground?

rleffler
08-27-2014, 01:35 PM
What's the rule on alcohol consumption in the camp ground?

Prohibited, but ignored and not enforced. Doesn't everyone know the location of the beer casket? ;)

FlyingRon
08-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Beer, wine, alcoholic beverages, liquor and other alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the grounds. Just like smoking.

Jeff Point
08-27-2014, 04:12 PM
I suspect that the last two responses were tongue in cheek, but of course beer is not prohibited. In fact it is sold in all the EAA stores around the grounds.

FlyingRon
08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I suspect that the last two responses were tongue in cheek, but of course beer is not prohibited. In fact it is sold in all the EAA stores around the grounds.
It's sold in Scholler perhaps, but not anywhere else to my knowledge. The only other places are the few enclosed cafes like the Vintage Cafe and then only in a small window of time. It's not permitted inside the gates other than that except it's largely ignored inside individual campsites.

jjhoneck
08-28-2014, 11:18 AM
It's sold in Scholler perhaps, but not anywhere else to my knowledge. The only other places are the few enclosed cafes like the Vintage Cafe and then only in a small window of time. It's not permitted inside the gates other than that except it's largely ignored inside individual campsites.
If EAA enforced the ban on beer in the N40, two things would happen.

1. You'd see four more bars open over between Friar Tucks and Charcoal Pit.

2. Camping attendance in the N40 would decline significantly.

The best part of every day, after a long day on the flight line, is dragging a chair and a cold one (or three) up to RWY 27, to watch the REAL airshow of arrivals/departures. :)

stummers
08-28-2014, 12:52 PM
It is no wonder that Chuck Swain looks upon the experience as a sacred gathering at AirVenture. For new attendees, it is truly a rite of passage.
http://www.aero-news.net/images/content/sportav/2009/AEROTV-Oshkosh-BeerCoffin-0809a.jpg (http://www.aero-news.net/images/content/sportav/2009/AEROTV-Oshkosh-BeerCoffin-0809a.jpg)
Just make sure you know the daily offering of fellowship: “Our lager, which art in barrels, hallowed be thy drink. Thy will be drunk. I will be drunk, at home as in the tavern. Give us this day, our foamy head, and forgive us our spillages, as we forgive those who spill against us. Lead us not into incarceration but deliver us from hangovers; for thine is the beer, and the bitter and the lager, forever and ever. Bar-men!”