PDA

View Full Version : First Oshkosh

Md11pilot
08-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Attended my first Oshkosh with my wife, son and two year old grandson and truly regret that I have not been there in forty years in aviation. We had a wonderful time and the advice of good friends "you can't see it all in one visit" was quickly evident as true. I was amazed at the organization and friendliness of the event staff and volunteers. In reading some of the other threads from long timers I can echo my concern about vehicular traffic on the flight line.
I was told to not take my grandson but he was a trooper and we only had to take back to the hotel one day (we were exhausted too) and we bought and sealed a program for him in the future.
Before we left the area we decided that next year we would rent an RV and stay at Sleepy Hollow. Already have the RV rented and looking forward to spending the entire week there.

FlyingRon
08-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Welcome and we will be happy to see you again next year. I'll have to tell you that it is a vehicular traffic is a WHOLE lot better on the flight line than it was in the past. Now carts and vehicles are turned from the red barn and directed all the way up to the exhibit buildings then back east. This gets a lot of it out of the show center. Alas there are too many exceptions and occasionally failure to police all the places where people could sneak a vehicle into the restricted area (though there were usually people on the Wittman road and Knapp street intersections.

BeagleOne
08-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Welcome and glad you had a great time!

You might also want to consider buying your grandson a patch and/or pin for each year he is at the fly-in. I didn't buy patches the first few decades that I went, but started buying them about 15 years ago, and have managed to acquire patches for every year I've attended, apart from 1970 and 1971, when patches were apparently not made.

You may be able get this year's patch and pin online here. http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/eaa-accessories/airplane-patches-and-pins

Although the patch and pin I bought have Paul's name on them, and the ones online don't appear to. There is also a magnet with the vintage EAA logo on it, and 2014. I'm not sure if that is going to be an annual thing or not; the magnet first appeared last year.

If you're interested might be worth contacting the museum shop and asking.

Md11pilot
08-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Great idea. Saw them there but kept forgetting to pick them up.

Joe Delene
08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Great to hear you had a good time. You can always mix it up some to accommodate those in the group with differing opinions on what to do. I do it all the time on family trips. Next year should be more of the same.