PDA

View Full Version : Hatz

sarpysam
08-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Can anyone tell me why the Vne on the CB-1 is 10 mph slower than the Classic? It appears that the airplanes share the same wings and longeron mods to give a bit rounder fuselage on the Classic. Jut purchased a ground looped CB-1 but it has the spring compressors on the gear. Also looking for a left landing gear. If at all feasible, I'd like t convert it to a Classic.

Sarpy Sam

Kyle Boatright
08-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Can anyone tell me why the Vne on the CB-1 is 10 mph slower than the Classic? It appears that the airplanes share the same wings and longeron mods to give a bit rounder fuselage on the Classic. Jut purchased a ground looped CB-1 but it has the spring compressors on the gear. Also looking for a left landing gear. If at all feasible, I'd like t convert it to a Classic.

Sarpy Sam

Realize that neither has had a full engineering work-up, so VNE is what the plans seller felt comfortable with, not anything more or less.

One of the big differences between the two is that the Classic uses 1/16th mahogany ply as a D-wrap on the leading edges of the wing, which adds a lot of rigidity and torsional stiffness to the wings. The CB-1 uses a tacked on aluminum leading edge, which helps maintain the airfoil shape, but doesn't add much, if any, strength.

Beyond that, I'd have to dig out the plans sets.

sarpysam
08-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Thank you Kyle. I had already decided to go with the wood leading edge and for good reason it appears.

Lee Howard