PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft down

mcdewey
07-31-2014, 08:41 AM
An aircraft has crashed on the east side of 36R. There was a plume of black smoke. The airport is currently closed (9:37) and the opening time is indefinite (though tower is saying 1 hour estimate).

The latest from one of the FLO persons is that it was a breezy.

The weather is CAVU light breeze.

mcdewey
07-31-2014, 08:53 AM
An aircraft has crashed on the east side of 36R. There was a plume of black smoke. The airport is currently closed (9:37) and the opening time is indefinite (though tower is saying 1 hour estimate).

The he latest from one of the FLO persons is that it was a breezy.

The weather is CAVU light breeze.

At 9:50 local, aircraft have been cleared to taxi, but no arrivals or departures. Tower announced airport will open at 10:30 local.

mcdewey
07-31-2014, 09:02 AM
Non-life threatening injuries. http://fox6now.com/2012/07/22/two-hurt-in-plane-crash-at-eaas-airventure/

Just opened back up for departures at 10:00.

spongebobiwan
07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm listening to LiveATC currently (11:14 a.m Thursday) and they're talking about the airport being closed for 60 minutes (for arrivals I guess) and the taxiways are just flat out jam packed with departures I presume. Is this all the result of the incident around 9:30 a.m.?

spongebobiwan
07-31-2014, 10:43 AM
I guess I just needed to keep listening to LiveATC for a while longer to answer my question. They said they are still recovering from that earlier incident as well as the airport being at saturation. With all the reports I've heard rumored or posted here on full parking lots, Camp Scholler being full, etc., I should have figured the airport itself must be getting pretty full. Looks like a big year, attendees wise.

rwanttaja
07-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Non-life threatening injuries. http://fox6now.com/2012/07/22/two-hurt-in-plane-crash-at-eaas-airventure/

The link is to a story dated a week ago...

Ron Wanttaja

spongebobiwan
07-31-2014, 12:05 PM
The link is to a story dated a week ago...

Ron Wanttaja

Good catch, Ron. Your observational powers are greater than mine, though I'm using the excuse I had just awoken as my reason for not catching that one. In any event, we really do not know any particulars or status after all, it appears.

Russ

martymayes
07-31-2014, 03:45 PM
In any event, we really do not know any particulars or status after all, it appears.

I received info that says male pilot critical, female pax serious.

deftone
07-31-2014, 04:43 PM
I received info that says male pilot critical, female pax serious.

The pilot died from his injuries. ..RIP

They hit the vehicles on that side of the field, causing the fireball

rwanttaja
07-31-2014, 05:23 PM
EAA Press Release:
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/2014-07-31-thursday-accident-claims-pilot

Ron Wanttaja

Kyle Boatright
07-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Saw the smoke from Homebuilt Camping, knew it wouldn't be anything good. Condolences to those who lost a friend or family member.

Once the field was re-opened, I sat in the taxi line for 27 for about 2:20 waiting to depart. 36L & R were both closed. The Tri-motors were coming and going routinely, warbirds were arriving from time to time, and the FAA was releasing aircraft very slowly. It was awful. I think they opened 36L about the time I launched.

Weeds1
07-31-2014, 08:06 PM
I was listening to the liveatc.net stream when the accident happened. Traffic was pretty busy at the time with multiple simultaneous arrivals on 36R, including the Breezy who was about to touch down. Things seemed to be flowing but its hard to tell from the recording where something may have gone wrong.

Tom Steber
07-31-2014, 10:14 PM
I almost went for a ride on it today. Had done it in the past and thought about going. I was right there when there were getting ready to start giving rides. I didn't want to take the time to wait for my turn because there were several people already there waiting. It was very hard to go on about the day afterwards. I've been watching him fly there every year basically. A real fixture to Oshkosh. Prayers for his family and for his passenger.

L16 Pilot
08-01-2014, 11:14 AM
I saw the smoke and flames from café by vintage parking. I thought maybe a truck or something had caught fire at the armory and didn't realize it was an accident as I didn't hear anything on the runway speakers. Winds were light as I remember so I'm unsure what caused it.

FlyingRon
08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
I was up at 79C taking a shower and was listening on the live atc feeds and decided to leave the plane there and got someone to drive us back to Oshkosh.