PDA

View Full Version : EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014 App - Live Now for iOS and Android!

Hal Bryan
07-16-2014, 03:04 PM
See http://airventure.org/app for details and download links, etc.

4015 (http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-app)

gbrasch
07-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Hal, it there a way to ID this version? I have had the older version for awhile. It told me there was an update and I clicked to update, but the whole app froze and I couldn't get out of it. Had to shut down the app and restart. I think I got it, as I am seeing forum times now, didn't before. FYI (iPhone 5)

Hal Bryan
07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Hal, it there a way to ID this version? I have had the older version for awhile. It told me there was an update and I clicked to update, but the whole app froze and I couldn't get out of it. Had to shut down the app and restart. I think I got it, as I am seeing forum times now, didn't before. FYI (iPhone 5)

Hmm - sorry to hear about the freeze, let me know if that happens again. If you have forum times, then you have the most recent build currently available from Apple, which is 1.1. That one went live on iTunes on Monday. We handed off version 1.2 to Apple at that time, so expect one more version from them once they approve it...

gbrasch
07-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Hmm - sorry to hear about the freeze, let me know if that happens again. If you have forum times, then you have the most recent build currently available from Apple, which is 1.1. That one went live on iTunes on Monday. We handed off version 1.2 to Apple at that time, so expect one more version from them once they approve it...

Thanks Hal, thought I got the latest but wasn't sure till you clarified. Might just have been my crappy phone.

Jeff Point
07-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Hal,

I've been playing with this app since it was released a couple of weeks ago. Knowing that it was a pre-release version, I didn't voice my concerns, but now that it's live, here you go:

The update process is horrible. It does not run in the background (even if you click background.) If I close the app while running in the background, it seems to stop updating, requiring running again. If I remain within the app while running it in "background" it runs but takes a really long time. Worse, it's impossible to tell if it actually worked or not, and it allows you to run the complete (several minute) process even if you just ran it, rather than tell you "no updates" or similar.

All this while on my home wifi network or strong LTE network. How this will work on site is anyone's guess, as both the EAA wifi and the carriers signals are abysmal during the show.

Sorry to be so negative but this thing really needs work.

(version 1.1 on Verizon iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.1 and iPad 2 iOS 7.1.2 wifi only)

Bill
07-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Hal:

Android 4.4.2 is working just fine so far. I've just downloaded it. Will let you know more as I work with it. I'm on a home WiFi network behind a slow DSL provider and it seems quite responsive thus far.

Hal Bryan
07-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Hal,

I've been playing with this app since it was released a couple of weeks ago. Knowing that it was a pre-release version, I didn't voice my concerns, but now that it's live, here you go:

The update process is horrible. It does not run in the background (even if you click background.) If I close the app while running in the background, it seems to stop updating, requiring running again. If I remain within the app while running it in "background" it runs but takes a really long time. Worse, it's impossible to tell if it actually worked or not, and it allows you to run the complete (several minute) process even if you just ran it, rather than tell you "no updates" or similar.

All this while on my home wifi network or strong LTE network. How this will work on site is anyone's guess, as both the EAA wifi and the carriers signals are abysmal during the show.

Sorry to be so negative but this thing really needs work.

(version 1.1 on Verizon iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.1 and iPad 2 iOS 7.1.2 wifi only)

I'm sorry to hear that, Jeff - it absolutely doesn't match the experiences I've had in testing across multiple devices and network type over the past three months. The background update feature is meant to let you keep using the app while the updates are downloaded, not necessarily to let you close the app and do other things. When the update completes, you'll see a dialog box that pops up to prompt you to install what you've just downloaded, which takes a fraction of a second at that point - that's how you know the update worked.

In my experience, on an especially slow network connection, the longest update time I've measured is just over two minutes - I've never seen anything even remotely close to "several minutes." From here on out, we're going to do our best to limit those updates to twice a day, unless there is a major schedule change or serious issue to fix. Hopefully the utility of the app will be worth putting up with at most 4 minutes of "horrible" every day.

wyoranch
07-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Hal,
FWIW, the app has been updating and working fantastic for me. The only issue I have ( and ii am sure it is me or my settings) is that I keep getting the same notifications over and over again on my Ipad 3.
Thanks for everything!
rick

rv8bldr
07-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Hey Hal

I have an antique iPhone (3GS) that I have jailbroken and unlocked for travel so I can use local SIM cards (instead of my Canadian one). It only runs IOS 6.1.6. Is there any hope for a compatible version of the AirVenture app for it? If not, I guess I'll have to carry around my Samsung too, just in flight mode (what a PITA :-)

Cheers

Hal Bryan
07-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Rick! There are a couple of bug fixes with respect to notifications that are forthcoming, so it may not be you... :)

In the meantime, if they're getting to be too annoying, you can disable them by going to Preferences, Notification Options, then unchecking the ones where you're seeing duplicates.

Thanks!

wyoranch
07-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks Hal for the info, now get back to getting those darn webcams online!!! Lol

dedgemon
07-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Hal,
Thanks for the work on the app. Very useful.
I notice that I can't search forums by presenter name like I can on the website schedule. Is that a known bug thats scheduled to be fixed or a feature for next year.
Iphone 5s. IOS 7.1.2 App updated last night.
Thanks!

Jeff Point
07-17-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, Jeff - it absolutely doesn't match the experiences I've had in testing across multiple devices and network type over the past three months.
Hal,

With all due respect, your experiences as a knowledgable user testing the app under ideal circumstances may not extrapolate out to the masses. I'm fairly savy with this stuff, and if I'm having trouble and getting frustrated I'm probably not the only one.

Hal Bryan
07-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Jeff, I don't mean to dismiss your concerns, and I do apologize if it came across that way. The conditions I've tested under are far from ideal, I can promise you that - much, much worse than the networks you described. I'll keep investigating, and if I can reproduce the problem we'll do whatever we can to address it.

Hal Bryan
07-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Hal,
Thanks for the work on the app. Very useful.
I notice that I can't search forums by presenter name like I can on the website schedule. Is that a known bug thats scheduled to be fixed or a feature for next year.
Iphone 5s. IOS 7.1.2 App updated last night.
Thanks!

Yes, that's a known issue and we're working on a solution.

Thanks!

wyoranch
07-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Hal,
4 minutes and 34 seconds to update over 2g cell service here in Dirt Patch, Wyoming

Hal Bryan
07-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Hal,
4 minutes and 34 seconds to update over 2g cell service here in Dirt Patch, Wyoming

Wow - that's far and away the slowest I've seen, even on a relatively slow data connection. A couple of factors:

Had you updated at all since you installed it? The first update after you install will take longer, because it's got a lot more in it - the final maps among other things.

Also, there were some updates to our website going on today that possibly caused some slowdowns on the server.

Let me know if your next update takes as long.

Thanks!

Hal

wyoranch
07-17-2014, 11:45 AM
I am not sweating it hear as cell coverage is absolutely terrible. I do not reccomend using my results as anything other than a WORST WORST case. Over 6mb dsl, it is very fast

dclaxon
07-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Hal,

I am trying to install the app on my NextBook tablet with Android 4.2.2, and I get "Your device isn't compatible with this version." What does it need special that a standard low-end entry level tablet wouldn't have?

Dave

Joe Delene
07-18-2014, 06:08 AM
I put the app on my Samsung, seems O. K. For now.

CarlOrton
07-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Hal, I sincerely appreciate all the blood that's been shed on this project; as an aerospace SW guy, I really do...

that said, and it's nothing for this year, is that some of the "features" may not have much use at this point in time. As an example, advising which nearby airports have commercial air service, or how to drive to Convention, etc. Too little, too late.

The GOAL may be for next year to have this app released by Feb or March, and that would be a good time, since that seems to be when most folks start nailing-down their final trip plans, buy airline tix, etc. But, us'n who are a bit more hard-core about Convention, etc., and who've been the biggest app users thus far, already *know* this stuff. Like I said, it's all about timing of the release. You've made great strides thus far - good grief, it's usable, so we Thank You.

Hal Bryan
07-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks Carl, that's good feedback, greatly appreciated. I'll disagree on the driving part, at least for our weekend visitors, but the airline info isn't all that helpful at this point.

The good news is that the home screen layout will change once convention begins, and will display different information, especially if it detects that you're actually here. The thing I most excited about is the "Near Me" feature that you'll see pop-up on the 28th. You tap the icon and it'll list food vendors, key attractions/locations, and scheduled events that started within the last 15 minutes or will start within the hour, but only those things that are truly nearby - I'd say within a 5 minute walk or so. It's done really, really well in our testing (after several weekends of painful iteration... ;)) and I think it's potentially going to be the most valuable feature, aside from the GPS-enabled map.

Anyway, thank you for paying the app the highest compliment I can imagine for any piece of software and calling it "usable!"

Hal Bryan
07-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Hal,

I am trying to install the app on my NextBook tablet with Android 4.2.2, and I get "Your device isn't compatible with this version." What does it need special that a standard low-end entry level tablet wouldn't have?

Dave

Hi Dave -

Did you get any other information and/or error message? We're thinking it's related to one of two things: the app is looking for location services (GPS or similar) and external storage, one or both of which may not be available on your device, but we'll continue to investigate.

Thanks -

Hal

dclaxon
07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi Dave -

Did you get any other information and/or error message? We're thinking it's related to one of two things: the app is looking for location services (GPS or similar) and external storage, one or both of which may not be available on your device, but we'll continue to investigate.

Thanks -

Hal

Hal,

It doesn't have GPS, and as far as I know no other location services, unless Google has something embedded that I haven't found yet. (What do you want for $69?) But it does have a 32GB memory card. I was figuring that I wouldn't be able to use the "Near Me" services, but does it really need to know where I am to show me the forum schedule?

Thanks,
Dave

Hal Bryan
07-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the update, Dave - that's what I'm trying to figure out. The iOS version loads fine on non-GPS equipped iPads, so I'm expecting the same thing from Android. I've got one of the developers looking into it.

Thanks for your patience -

Hal

LuvFlying
07-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Any chance this will sync "my stuff" across devices?

I just went through a couple of days of selection on iPad... and then loaded Android which I will always have with me. Then I thought... ah oh... no log in probably = no sync.

Unless I'm missing something (fingers crossed)

Hal Bryan
07-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Sorry to say that you're right - supporting a sync across multiple devices was beyond the scope for this year, out first version. It's definitely something we'll look at in future versions.

CarlOrton
07-18-2014, 07:54 PM
The good news is that the home screen layout will change once convention begins, and will display different information, especially if it detects that you're actually here. The thing I most excited about is the "Near Me" feature that you'll see pop-up on the 28th. You tap the icon and it'll list food vendors, key attractions/locations, and scheduled events that started within the last 15 minutes or will start within the hour, but only those things that are truly nearby - I'd say within a 5 minute walk or so. It's done really, really well in our testing (after several weekends of painful iteration... ;)) and I think it's potentially going to be the most valuable feature, aside from the GPS-enabled map. "
Wow!! If the location services work, that'll be a rave feature. Hope it surpasses your expectations.

spongebobiwan
07-19-2014, 01:19 PM
The thing I most excited about is the "Near Me" feature that you'll see pop-up on the 28th. You tap the icon and it'll list food vendors, key attractions/locations, and scheduled events that started within the last 15 minutes or will start within the hour, but only those things that are truly nearby - I'd say within a 5 minute walk or so. It's done really, really well in our testing (after several weekends of painful iteration... ;)) and I think it's potentially going to be the most valuable feature, aside from the GPS-enabled map.

That's incredible, Hal. Really! Sometimes (well, most of the time actually) I am just flabbergasted at the incredible rate at which technology is advancing, and even more importantly to EAA, how that rapidly advancing technology is being implemented for AirVenture. This feature, if it works as you (and me too) hope it does, really could be the most useful tool yet to arrive at AirVenture, as you've said. I'm in complete agreement with you on this one. Amazing effort by you and your team to implement this great idea. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Bill
07-19-2014, 06:52 PM
With the new maps that were just pushed tonight (well, today here in Arizona) there shouldn't be any arguments about how many and where are the drinking fountains, or the restrooms. You can even find out who has donuts and where they're located, and, if you're not too full, where Kelley Country Creamery is to enjoy really good ice cream.

Kudos to the developers.

Hal Bryan
07-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks Bill! We get a lot of questions about which food vendors have vegetarian or gluten free options, and even more about doughnuts, so... :)

We'll be cruising the grounds every day next week to fine tune the locations of stuff like water and restrooms, but what's there is a good start.

LuvFlying
07-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Okay... maybe you were being facetious... but I searched for "doughnuts" and nothing came up.

Hal Bryan
07-21-2014, 08:22 AM
It's on the map menu - just open the map, tap Map Menu, then scroll down.

It's also on the main menu:

Menu - Visitor Services - Food & Beverage

To search, try the alternate spelling "donuts." ( Our style guide calls for "doughnuts", but the food vendors spell it their own way in the menu listings.)

Be sure you've installed the latest content update as well.

LuvFlying
07-21-2014, 08:26 AM
It's on the map menu - just open the map, tap Map Menu, then scroll down.

It's also on the main menu:

Menu - Visitor Services - Food & Beverage

To search, try the alternate spelling "donuts." ( Our style guide calls for "doughnuts", but the food vendors spell it their own way in the menu listings.)

Be sure you've installed the latest content update as well.

Latest content installed.
Nav menu on the map works.

Search brings up no results for either spelling (Android)

Hal Bryan
07-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Latest content installed.
Nav menu on the map works.

Search brings up no results for either spelling (Android)

Sorry - glad you mentioned that. There's a bug in Android search that I'm hoping will be fixed today that should resolve that.

Tsarach
07-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Hal, I wanted you to know my son is coming with me again this year and remembered me using the APP last year. He was very excited to play with the app and immediately started building his own schedule for this year. He was all over it, announcing all the events and exciting things he wants to do this year. Kudos for bringing such a great product to Airventure, it seriously resonated with my son and I'm sure it will with others his age. (future of aviation) Thanks.

PS: I like it too!

CheckerBird
07-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Is there a download link available anywhere for the APK file to install onto Android without going thru Google Play?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the Evozi APK Downloader link generator and got the APK onto my PC then via cable over to my tablet.

Hal Bryan
07-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Hal, I wanted you to know my son is coming with me again this year and remembered me using the APP last year. He was very excited to play with the app and immediately started building his own schedule for this year. He was all over it, announcing all the events and exciting things he wants to do this year. Kudos for bringing such a great product to Airventure, it seriously resonated with my son and I'm sure it will with others his age. (future of aviation) Thanks.

PS: I like it too!

Many thanks - that made my day!

RobW
07-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Would love to use the app.... but my old IPAD has too old an operating system to use this app. Shame. Oh well, I'll just do it the old fashion way. Use a map and talk to people (hopefully ones with the app!)

Rob

pbartz
07-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Do you have plans to make the AirVenture app available in the future for Nook???

Paul Bartz
EAA #557934

jjhoneck
07-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Love the app (we've been in OSH since Sunday) but to update it in the N40 I have to set up a 4G hotspot. The crappy WiFi just doesn't cut it.

Love the georeferenced map, BTW!

Jim Hann
08-20-2014, 07:02 AM
Hal,

I know I'm slow, and busy...

Why did the app not include detailed maps of the Commercial display buildings as in years past? It used to be you would know exactly where in the building a vendor was, this time it just showed you which building. I know this isn't a big thing, but it is sometimes easier to walk around the building and in a different door than to fight through the aisles.

Oh, and how about the ability to export an event to iCal on the iPhone/iPad? I'm guessing that it is a PITA to do it but I had to split my attention between my calendar and the app since some things didn't show up in the app (like the Lifetime Member dinner).

Other than that the app served all my needs well.

Jim

Hal Bryan
08-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Hal,

I know I'm slow, and busy...

Why did the app not include detailed maps of the Commercial display buildings as in years past? It used to be you would know exactly where in the building a vendor was, this time it just showed you which building. I know this isn't a big thing, but it is sometimes easier to walk around the building and in a different door than to fight through the aisles.

Oh, and how about the ability to export an event to iCal on the iPhone/iPad? I'm guessing that it is a PITA to do it but I had to split my attention between my calendar and the app since some things didn't show up in the app (like the Lifetime Member dinner).

Other than that the app served all my needs well.

Jim

Hey Jim -

There were detailed floorplans of all four exhibit hangars, as well as a few other indoor exhibit areas (the Innovations Center, etc.) If you found an exhibitor and tapped on it, it would show you, as you saw, which building they were in and list the booth number. The thing that maybe wasn't obvious was that if you then tapped on the building on the map, the floorplan would pop up. While it wouldn't highlight the individual booth (next year!) it did list all of the booth numbers.

I'd love to look at doing calendar exports for next year - I don't yet have a sense for what that'll take, but it's definitely on the want list.

Hal

Marty Santic
08-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Sure wish the latest (last) update did NOT delete the forum schedules and my schedule?? Why was that done?

Hal Bryan
08-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi Marty - I've heard a couple reports of people losing their plan info after an update, but we never reproduced that in-house. As for the forum schedules, they most definitely weren't deleted - that info is all still there.

rleffler
08-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Hi Marty - I've heard a couple reports of people losing their plan info after an update, but we never reproduced that in-house. As for the forum schedules, they most definitely weren't deleted - that info is all still there.

It appears that the menu options have been removed. I went looking for a vendor's name, as well as the name of a presenter, the other day and was surprised that I couldn't display the exhibitor list or the forum schedule.

Hal Bryan
08-22-2014, 11:54 AM
The home screen changed layouts at a couple of different points based on whether it was before, during, or after convention, but everything is still there in the main menu on the left.

Jim Hann
08-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Hey Jim -

There were detailed floorplans of all four exhibit hangars, as well as a few other indoor exhibit areas (the Innovations Center, etc.) If you found an exhibitor and tapped on it, it would show you, as you saw, which building they were in and list the booth number. The thing that maybe wasn't obvious was that if you then tapped on the building on the map, the floorplan would pop up. While it wouldn't highlight the individual booth (next year!) it did list all of the booth numbers.

I'd love to look at doing calendar exports for next year - I don't yet have a sense for what that'll take, but it's definitely on the want list.

Hal
Hal, remember I'm an airline pilot... It wasn't obvious to me.

I just went to look at something and I can't find much, no exhibitor info, etc. Wait a second. I just tried a content update and it is all back! I feel like I'm in the runway lights scene in Airplane... Just Kidding!!!!

Okay, just tried it. Yeah, never figured that out, maybe I should have read the directions! I did have to pinch the map down a bit, touching the iPhone screen picture in the small zoom I couldn't get it to open.

Thanks again Hal for all you do, I watched for you but didn't see you at all. That cloaking device was working very well!

Jim