PDA

View Full Version : On this day in 1969...

Zack Baughman
07-16-2014, 07:11 AM
On this day in 1969, NASA's fifth manned space mission, Apollo 11, launches from Kennedy Space Center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mt9znatmyQ

On board are crew members Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Buzz Aldrin. Their destination...the Moon!

Floatsflyer
07-16-2014, 08:31 AM
What has always astounded me is that in the very short time span of only 66 years, humankind went from Kitty Hawk to the Moon. I do not believe that such rapid advancement and technological progress has ever before or since taken place in the recorded annals of human history.

champ driver
07-16-2014, 02:39 PM
I remember that flight, and landing.

lnuss
07-17-2014, 07:05 AM
I, too, remember watching that live on TV -- exciting!

I do not believe that such rapid advancement and technological progress has ever before or since taken place in the recorded annals of human history.

In transportation you are, of course, correct but it seems to me that the recent progress in electronics/computers equals that. Think of the rapid advances in computers, so-called "smart" phones, etc., and how short a time it's been (TRS-80/PET/Apple II in late '70s, CPM not much before).

And in the medical field there are so many things being understood and cured today vs. 20-30 years ago that this may be another field qualifying.

raytoews
07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
If the aliens are cloaked in orbit watching us they must be amazed at our progress, on some fronts
now if we could just stop blowing each other up!

ray

rwanttaja
07-18-2014, 01:18 PM
What has always astounded me is that in the very short time span of only 66 years, humankind went from Kitty Hawk to the Moon. I do not believe that such rapid advancement and technological progress has ever before or since taken place in the recorded annals of human history.
1800 to 1900 gives it the run for the money. Railroads, steam ships, automobiles, military use of aircraft, telegraph, telephone, radio, photography, anestesia, antiseptic surgery, from black-power muzzle loaders to automatic weapons, etc.

Ron Wanttaja