PDA

View Full Version : 2014 AirVenture Webcams Official Thread

Todd Ritzman
07-14-2014, 05:58 AM
The warbird, vintage and ultralight webcams have been installed and the towers were raised last Friday. We currently are testing our connections and working on the final configurations for each camera. Hopefully they will be able to go live latter this week.

We will also have a new video feed this year where you will be able to watch the assembly of the One Week Wonder airplane.

The streaming media volunteers will be monitoring this thread to both try to address issues that are brought to our attention as well keep you posted of any changes that may occur during the week.

Todd

FlyingRon
07-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Thanks to all the members of the Media Screaming team. We're all looking forward to watching.

psvinny
07-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Todd, you and your team provide a great service to the members. I for one greatly appreciate your work. It means a lot to us to see everything ramping up. I am lucky because I am able to spent the week there, those that can't are at least able to watch. Thank you!!

spongebobiwan
07-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Giggity

spongebobiwan
07-14-2014, 10:27 PM
We will also have a new video feed this year where you will be able to watch the assembly of the One Week Wonder airplane.
Todd

What a great idea!!

Greg Busby
07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
This is great news I'll be watching all weekend and all of next week

Sirota
07-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Todd,

Can you provide a link so we can peak in?

Thanks,
Dave

The warbird, vintage and ultralight webcams have been installed and the towers were raised last Friday. We currently are testing our connections and working on the final configurations for each camera. Hopefully they will be able to go live latter this week.

Mike Kitslaar
07-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Can't wait!!!!!

Todd Ritzman
07-17-2014, 03:20 PM
can't wait!!!!!

us too.....

Hal Bryan
07-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks to Todd and Paul, and a couple of my colleagues here, the first 3 cams are now live:

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-webcams

Todd Ritzman
07-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Here is what we all have been so patiently waiting for!

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-webcams

Jim Heffelfinger
07-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Coming Soon - as of 4:30 PDT server not found on all 3 camera feeds.
Hope springs eternal.....

spongebobiwan
07-17-2014, 05:38 PM
6:35 PM Central time, all three cameras working very well from my location about 90 minutes south of Oshkosh.

Todd Ritzman
07-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Coming Soon - as of 4:30 PDT server not found on all 3 camera feeds.
Hope springs eternal.....

We have some reports of people having issues. Those of you that are having problems, please let us know some information about the device you are using the browser and operating system.

For example.
Windows 7 professional
Internet Explorer 11
HP desktop

This may help us trouble shoot.

Tom Steber
07-17-2014, 06:51 PM
All three feeds working great here in Green Bay on old system containing paper cups with strings.

Tom Steber
07-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Question: will the page be updated in the future with the ATC feeds as well? I seem to remember them being on there last year.

Hal Bryan
07-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Tom - yes, that link will go live as soon as those feeds are active, usually shortly after the NOTAM goes into effect.

wyoranch
07-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Webcams are working fine on both my ipad 3 and windows 7 pro laptop over a 6mb dsl line, 1202 miles due west of Oshkosh

Bill Berson
07-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Webcams are working fine on my iPad, here on the west coast. I hope the Valdez STOL landings are shown on the air show live feed also.
Would like to attend, but 2000 miles is just too far for me to visit every Airventure.

Bill
07-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Webcams are doing quite nicely on Windows 8 Firefox here in Arid-zona on a 1-MB DSL line. On my old Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet, the video is unremitting black on either Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

Shucks, there goes my spare time for the next few weeks.

Joe
07-17-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm running windows 7 Home and have the newest version of Java
and when I go into the web page it comes up address is not found

Kyle Boatright
07-17-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm running windows 7 Home and have the newest version of Java
and when I go into the web page it comes up address is not found

This.

Hal Bryan
07-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Do you guys have any kind of popup blockers enabled by chance?

spongebobiwan
07-17-2014, 08:22 PM
All three feeds working great here in Green Bay on old system containing paper cups with strings.

LOL, Tom. What? No bubble gum? :-) I always tell everybody that I don't even have a computer. I'm still using an old slide rule. :)

Paul Hayden
07-17-2014, 08:43 PM
sorry guys, I've been at a trade show for the last 2 days. I finally got some time to look into some issues. First off I had to rebuild the server because Wowza released a new version so things might not have been setup correctly right off the bat.

so,
I made sure the server would roll to port 80 if the regular wowza port was blocked, that should solve some issues.
It also it appears to load the blank "page not found" but then launches new smaller window with the camera image so as Hal suggested a popup blocker might be an issue. f its still not happy try adding the domain name to the Java exclusion list and see if that helps.

Wrongway Feldman
07-17-2014, 08:51 PM
We have some reports of people having issues. Those of you that are having problems, please let us know some information about the device you are using the browser and operating system.
For example.
Windows 7 professional
Internet Explorer 11
HP desktop
This may help us trouble shoot.

OS - MS Windows 7 Home Premium
HP Notebook

MS Internet Explorer 10
Opens new tab: This page can't be displayed.

Google Chrome V 36.0.1985.125 m: opens one JW player pop-up at a time.
Example: click on webcam north, JW player pops-up, click on on webcam central, JW player pops-up, but replaces north cam with central cam in same pop-up.
Video functioning correctly.
Best aspect ratio adjustment.
In order to do the below Google Chrome screen shot I had to open three chrome browsers.

Firefox 30: Opens one JW player pop-up for each webcam, But at the same time opens a plank tab for each.
Firefox screen shot below.

Real close to functioning like last year, very few Cyber Gremlins.
Preferred browser: Firefox, although Chrome lets you adjust JW player pop-up window aspect ratio smaller.
Would be nice to be able to adjust all 3 or 4 webcams (Airshow/Theater in the woods 4th cam) windows onto the screen together.

http://youtu.be/V5QKViyEvcE

Kyle Boatright
07-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Do you guys have any kind of popup blockers enabled by chance?

No.

I also checked running Chrome and it works just fine. Seems to be a Win7/Java issue.

Todd Ritzman
07-17-2014, 09:13 PM
No.

I also checked running Chrome and it works just fine. Seems to be a Win7/Java issue.

For those trying to view with Internet Explorer make sure you go under the Tools tab and make sure the pop up blocker is turned off.

On my personal computer, I was getting a new tab to open when clicking on a camera link and it would say that the page could not be found. After turning off the pop up blocker, new tab opens, then a separate window opens and plays the video.

Todd

Wrongway Feldman
07-17-2014, 09:23 PM
For those trying to view with Internet Explorer make sure you go under the Tools tab and make sure the pop up blocker is turned off.
Todd Yahtzee
IE.....:( Turned off pop-up blocker, Results below, North cam Globe (http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/ELHS800.jpg) needs Windex®, elbow grease & a tall ladder.

MS Internet Explorer 10:Opens one JW player pop-up for each webcam, But at the same time opens a plank tab for each.
No window aspect ratio adjustment
Below Internet Explorer screen shot.

Mike Kitslaar
07-18-2014, 05:45 AM
Is there a way to view the web cams on my android phone?

Hal Bryan
07-18-2014, 05:50 AM
Mike - we'll have links built into the app in an upcoming update, but, in the meantime, you can go to AirVenture.org on your phone, then tap Webcams under News and Multimedia.

Mike Kitslaar
07-18-2014, 06:09 AM
I do that and just get a black screen where the image should be. It seems as tho its trying to load but never does.

Hal Bryan
07-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Oh - sorry to hear that, Mike. We'll look into it.

dmbleess
07-18-2014, 06:36 AM
http://www.jwplayer.com/blog/the-pain-of-live-streaming-on-android/

Mike Kitslaar
07-18-2014, 06:45 AM
Thank you, I'm sure most people found that helpful. I'm wondering if there is another version written in English, or perhaps a "for dummies" version. Thank you

wyoranch
07-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Hey guys,
Did someone fire a ground to air missile at the north cam? Looks like your camera dome has been shattered.

Todd Ritzman
07-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Hey guys,
Did someone fire a ground to air missile at the north cam? Looks like your camera dome has been shattered.

Yes it would appear to be that way.

The truth of the matter is before the tower was lifted into the upright position, the grass was mowed around the tower and got onto the camera lens.

We were hoping that the rain would have washed it off, but so far it has not and looking at the forecast, it is not likely to either. So now comes the challenge, how to get up a large metal tower that is not designed to climb to get 65 plus feet in the air. The tallest lift that is up there is still short of reaching the camera, but I am going to do my best to get the camera cleaner than it is now sometime tomorrow while I am installing the cameras for the One Week Wonder build.

Todd Ritzman
07-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Thank you, I'm sure most people found that helpful. I'm wondering if there is another version written in English, or perhaps a "for dummies" version. Thank you

Well there are several other versions I could use to describe what it is saying, but they really are not appropriate to publish on such a forum. :cool:

Last year we were able to stream to the majority of devices without any major issues. What we have found since the release of the camera links this year is that android devices quit supporting flash based players. Now that people have been upgrading their devices to newer models/android, the problem is more wide spread.

We are looking into options in hopes of being able to stream to android devices and we will post updates as we make progress.

Bill
07-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Yes it would appear to be that way.

The truth of the matter is before the tower was lifted into the upright position, the grass was mowed around the tower and got onto the camera lens.

We were hoping that the rain would have washed it off, but so far it has not and looking at the forecast, it is not likely to either. So now comes the challenge, how to get up a large metal tower that is not designed to climb to get 65 plus feet in the air. The tallest lift that is up there is still short of reaching the camera, but I am going to do my best to get the camera cleaner than it is now sometime tomorrow while I am installing the cameras for the One Week Wonder build.

Todd:

If you can't do it any other way, get the ARFF guys to help. I'm sure that they have to test their pumps regularly and would be happy to oblige. Heck, if they'll come out and wet down a pilot after his last flight, they should do this for you. I'm assuming that the grass and stuff is on the dome and not the camera lens itself.

kpratt
07-18-2014, 03:05 PM
cams not working on any of my computers. all run window 7. Have used firefox, an explorer. The do work on my ipad though

Todd Ritzman
07-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Todd:

If you can't do it any other way, get the ARFF guys to help. I'm sure that they have to test their pumps regularly and would be happy to oblige. Heck, if they'll come out and wet down a pilot after his last flight, they should do this for you. I'm assuming that the grass and stuff is on the dome and not the camera lens itself.

I was actually thinking of getting one of the helicopters and a pilot and I could sit on the skid and the pilot could hover me around them to clean them.

Todd Ritzman
07-18-2014, 09:56 PM
cams not working on any of my computers. all run window 7. Have used firefox, an explorer. The do work on my ipad though

I am having to assume that you have the latest versions installed of the browsers. Open up Internet explorer, then click on "Tools" and then look for "Pop up Blocker and click that to open the setting and make sure it is turned off so it will allow pop ups. Then open the main page webcam page and try one of the cameras. On my computer when I select a camera, first a new tab opens up, then a new window opens with the streaming player. If the pop up blocker is on, then only the new tab will open and it will show an error. Hope this helps.

Todd

Jim Rosenow
07-19-2014, 08:37 AM
I was actually thinking of getting one of the helicopters and a pilot and I could sit on the skid and the pilot could hover me around them to clean them.

......and if you turned the Vintage camera North we could all watch!! Hi, Todd!! Cams work great on the latest Ubuntu/Firefox!!

Jim

Wrongway Feldman
07-19-2014, 08:55 AM
You took the words out of my mouth. "Sky Hook" and a OSHA approved harness of course.
Copter down wash on its own might just blow the GLOBE (http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/ELHS800.jpg) clean.
Or a mop with a very long handle.
Didn't some suggest one of those foam fire trucks spraying water at it.

Bill
07-19-2014, 12:07 PM

Before you try that, I would consider the possibility of serious injury. I don't think that we can get along without you! Being crunched between the skid and the tower wouldn't be any fun. Take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNnJ9JnMlY of 500-kV hot-line work from a helicopter. These guys are well trained for this work and they do it from a skid-mounted platform, not the skid itself. Watch the arc between the conducting rod and the 500-kV line before and after he does the work.

Wrongway Feldman
07-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Ok Todd, are you going to tell us how you levitated yourself 65 feet into the air to clean the North Camera Globe.

Todd Ritzman
07-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Ok Todd, are you going to tell us how you levitated yourself 65 feet into the air to clean the North Camera Globe.

I am afraid that is a secret, except for the luck (or unlucky) ones to have actually been watching at the time I was up there cleaning the cameras.

baboss
07-19-2014, 10:50 PM
I am having to assume that you have the latest versions installed of the browsers. Open up Internet explorer, then click on "Tools" and then look for "Pop up Blocker and click that to open the setting and make sure it is turned off so it will allow pop ups. Then open the main page webcam page and try one of the cameras. On my computer when I select a camera, first a new tab opens up, then a new window opens with the streaming player. If the pop up blocker is on, then only the new tab will open and it will show an error. Hope this helps.

ToddI didn't turn pop up blocker off but instead added eaa.org to the safe sites list. I figure I won't mind any pop ups from EAA

Bill
07-20-2014, 12:32 AM
I am afraid that is a secret, except for the luck (or unlucky) ones to have actually been watching at the time I was up there cleaning the cameras.

Todd, your secret is safe with me. I am one of the unlucky ones who saw you cleaning one of the cameras this afternoon (still trying to purge the memory, but fortunately near objects are not in sharp focus). From the webcam view, I couldn't tell how you got up there, only that you and your cleaning rag were there.

Wrongway Feldman
07-20-2014, 08:51 AM
I am afraid that is a secret, except for the luck (or unlucky) ones to have actually been watching at the time I was up there cleaning the cameras. There is this little German Lady over at the Warbairds area.
She runs Warbirds tours.
She also sells these Buttons (button.jpg),
It would only be appropriate that the lucky (or unlucky) ones that were watching you,
should have to wear the buttons the duration of AirVenture. Don't forget yourself :-)
4030I'll be wearing mine.

Hal Bryan
07-20-2014, 09:11 AM
I really, really don't want to know, do I, Todd?!? ;)

Plus, I NEED one of those buttons...

Todd Ritzman
07-20-2014, 08:53 PM
I really, really don't want to know, do I, Todd?!? ;)

Plus, I NEED one of those buttons...

Yes, it is best you get the button. :D

But I will let you know I had safety in mind and pre-dialed 91 so there was only one more 1 to dial.....

Sirota
07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Hey Todd, You may already know this but in case you don't; When I logged on just now all three cameras were black and I get an error message that said "Server not found: rtmpt://205.213.124:80/vintage/" I've been successful several time in the past few days so I don't think it's on my side.

By the way, thanks a BUNCH for all your hard work so we can look in on the big show.

Dave Sirota

Tom Steber
07-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Just got the same thing Dave.

Sirota
07-21-2014, 04:25 PM
All good now Todd. Thanks

Hey Todd, You may already know this but in case you don't; When I logged on just now all three cameras were black and I get an error message that said "Server not found: rtmpt://205.213.124:80/vintage/" I've been successful several time in the past few days so I don't think it's on my side.

By the way, thanks a BUNCH for all your hard work so we can look in on the big show.

Dave Sirota

Paul Hayden
07-22-2014, 06:39 AM
sorry guys, our ISP had some DNS server issues.

dmbleess
07-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Modern phone android webcam works.

Need 2 apps.

The 2014 airventure app

and a streaming media player like mxplayer
(I also have the arm v7 codec for MX installed)

There is a webcam link in the android app.

Airventure app - find menu icon in top left corner, Airventure live section, select webcams, pick a camera from the list, if android asks what app to feed it to, select mx player and it works like a charm.

I have noticed that the mobile stream is about 30 seconds slower than the pc stream and the video time stamp clocks are set about 4 minutes fast.

If you already have a default video streaming app and it doesn't work, you may have to deselect the default app for video streaming.

Instructions for that: hold the main android button, select the "pie", look for the "default apps" tab at the top, and in that list, look for the default video stream app and clear it.

Then you will get a list of apps every time until you assign a new default from that list.

Mike Kitslaar
07-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Thank you for the help for us dummies :)

Skyler Cannon
07-23-2014, 07:30 AM
There is a webcam link in the android app.
Airventure app - find menu icon in top left corner, Airventure live section, select webcams, pick a camera from the list, if android asks what app to feed it to, select mx player and it works like a charm.

I didn't have a webcam link until I updated. The default video player works fine.

Hal Bryan
07-23-2014, 08:06 AM
I pushed a change to the app yesterday that enabled the stream on Android devices - glad to hear that it's working, and thanks for the clarity, dmbleess! I was only able to test on a couple of plain vanilla Androids - my expectation is that, unless you've installed multiple video players and you get the choices that dmbleess describes, overall it should "just work."

This change also improved the experience for iOS users by eliminating two taps, which was a nice side effect.

We (by which I mean IT people smarter than me...) are still struggling to find a solution for Android users accessing the cameras from the mobile website, not from the app, and appreciate everyone's patience. Hopefully, you won't mind installing the app as a workaround until we get things sorted.

rleffler
07-23-2014, 08:20 AM
It appears that the Warbird stream is down at the moment.

Greg Busby
07-23-2014, 08:41 AM
I'm also seeing that

dmbleess
07-23-2014, 01:00 PM
I pushed a change to the app yesterday that enabled the stream on Android devices - glad to hear that it's working, and thanks for the clarity, dmbleess! I was only able to test on a couple of plain vanilla Androids - my expectation is that, unless you've installed multiple video players and you get the choices that dmbleess describes, overall it should "just work."

This change also improved the experience for iOS users by eliminating two taps, which was a nice side effect.

We (by which I mean IT people smarter than me...) are still struggling to find a solution for Android users accessing the cameras from the mobile website, not from the app, and appreciate everyone's patience. Hopefully, you won't mind installing the app as a workaround until we get things sorted.

For an added data point, I'm running on a Galaxy S4 T (SPH-L720T) - Sprint Spark / tri-band. When I saw the link was added, I started playing to see if it worked.
If it worked on mine, it should work on all the Galaxy 3 and later phones, and that gets you a huge segment of the android market.

The app is well worth adding and running the stream from there is painless.

(Warbirds is back up again)

Greg Busby
07-23-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm having problems connecting to the webcams

Joe Delene
07-24-2014, 11:21 AM
I looked at the one webcam a bit ago, worked fine and looks like an ideal day to setup. I drove by yesterday, looking very good.

JHD
07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
The time on the warbird camera is yesterday. Is this right or are we really seeing real time?

dmbleess
07-24-2014, 04:57 PM
All three are sending video (live) fine for me. Both PC and mobile. I can tell the video is live by three things: the sun angle, the continued progression of setup, and warbird arrivals.

The timestamps are inaccurate. At 5:49pm central 7/24/14 they are indicating 8:36pm 07/23/14 (Warbirds) They may have been inaccurate all along. The last time I talked about it (30 second discrepancy between PC feed and mobile feed) I wasn't looking at the entire reported time, just the minutes and seconds to determine the feed lag between platforms.

It would be interesting to determine the feed lag from live also. Without a proper accurate live time, that will require an on-site visit.

The time discrepancy varies by camera. Ultralights looks like it is set close enough.

Wrongway Feldman
07-24-2014, 08:32 PM
I do not know if anyone noticed this but on the main Webcams & Streaming page (http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-webcams)
When you click on the Listen to Oshkosh ATC link (http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=kosh) (LiveATC)
The pop-up in Firefox and Internet Explore does not let you scroll, Chrome does.
Just a FYI
You might want to send it down the chain of command.

Paul Hayden
07-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Yes, they are 100% live. The clocks aren't the greatest at keeping time. When I get out of this meeting I will adjust them as close as I can. The total delay in the stream is less than 20 seconds to go from the camera to the encoder, to the server in Milwaukee and then get distributed to clients from there..

All three are sending video (live) fine for me. Both PC and mobile. I can tell the video is live by three things: the sun angle, the continued progression of setup, and warbird arrivals.

The timestamps are inaccurate. At 5:49pm central 7/24/14 they are indicating 8:36pm 07/23/14 (Warbirds) They may have been inaccurate all along. The last time I talked about it (30 second discrepancy between PC feed and mobile feed) I wasn't looking at the entire reported time, just the minutes and seconds to determine the feed lag between platforms.

It would be interesting to determine the feed lag from live also. Without a proper accurate live time, that will require an on-site visit.

The time discrepancy varies by camera. Ultralights looks like it is set close enough.

Bill Greenwood
07-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Do you say they are working now, Fri about 1:20 Osh time? All I get is a dark screen on all three.

dmbleess
07-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Do you say they are working now, Fri about 1:20 Osh time? All I get is a dark screen on all three.
All three are operating beautifully right now. 530pm Oshkosh time.

Please provide the details of what you are using for access and someone may have an idea.

For example

I'm on an android smart phone accessing via the app,

and on a Windows 7 pc using Firefox for a browser with popup windows enabled for eaa.org

spongebobiwan
07-26-2014, 06:24 AM
7:23am Central Time and it appears that the Warbirds cam is not functioning at this time.

Greg Busby
07-26-2014, 07:51 AM
I am also having problems with the warbird stream

Tom Steber
07-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Warbird stream down here too. But just saw 3 BEAUTIFUL Swifts taxi in down in vintage camping.

spongebobiwan
07-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Nice thing about the Vintage cam is that it frequently pans quite slowly affording plenty of time to take a good look at any given thing.

spongebobiwan
07-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Now that I think about it though, I bet you saw those Swifts from the Ultralight cam. Therefore, kindly disregard my above comment. Though true, it probably doesn't apply here. :-)

jscharpf
07-26-2014, 09:06 AM
EDIT: I read some more and got it working! :)

spongebobiwan
07-26-2014, 09:19 AM
EDIT: I read some more and got it working! :)

Really? Care to share?

spongebobiwan
07-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Ahh. Now that I've read your previous posts, I guess you were referring to EAA Radio, and not the Warbird cam. Kindly disregard. :-)

Tom Steber
07-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Warbird webcam back up and running!

Hal Bryan
07-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, Tom - sorry about the outage, someone had unplugged it.

spongebobiwan
07-27-2014, 10:58 AM
LiveATC for KOSH is down at the moment. Down at LiveATC.com not from anything having to do with AirVenture or EAA, just for clarification purposes.

Russ

DeltaDave
07-27-2014, 04:34 PM
If anyone is having trouble connecting to the WebCams...try turning OFF your Popup blocker.

Worked for me.

Dave

dmbleess
07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
If anyone is having trouble connecting to the WebCams...try turning OFF your Popup blocker.

Worked for me.

Dave

No need to turn it completely off if you can find the filters and simply allow popups from eaa.org

Then the rest of the sites stay blocked.

DeltaDave
07-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Good Point dmblees ! Thanks for the headsup.

Dave

DeltaDave
07-27-2014, 05:15 PM
The webcams can only upload data so fast...A fast pan appears jerky and skips...even worse when zoomed in it is borderline nauseating.

The current Vintage cam rate is perfect !

IMHO

Respectfully submitted.

Dave

dmbleess
07-28-2014, 07:45 AM
Warbirds has fallen offline again.

Bear
07-28-2014, 07:56 AM

I noticed that too.

dmbleess
07-28-2014, 08:59 AM

It's back again now. Much better.

Todd Ritzman
07-28-2014, 09:16 AM
It's back again now. Much better.

Sorry for that, we had some rain move through and the ground fault was tripped.

Dave S
07-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Takes repeated tries to connect to any of the cams then the cam only refreshes every couple of minutes. Maybe things will improve...

spongebobiwan
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Takes repeated tries to connect to any of the cams then the cam only refreshes every couple of minutes. Maybe things will improve...
Dave,
I just wanted to let you know that currently I am running 5 cams (Ultralight, Vintage, Warbirds, One Week Wonder, and EAA Radio) as well as 3 LiveATC frequencies (North Tower, South Tower, and FISK Approach) simultaneously, along with another couple browser windows for such things as this forum or Facebook or something, and I'm not experiencing the conditions to which you are referring. I logged on to all cams and LiveATC freqs. rather quickly, and have experienced only occasional "stuttering" in the cams or other applications. I don't know what equipment you are running or what internet speed you have, but maybe it's possible that this is something on your end? Just thought I'd pass my experience on to you so that maybe you could check something else as to what the problem could be.

Paul Hayden
07-28-2014, 11:46 AM
we are experiencing a pretty heavy load on the server currently almost 600 separate streams. Working to free up some additional resources on our Milwaukee side. Please bear with us.

This will not affect the airshow feed that should live soon.

Paul Hayden
07-28-2014, 06:57 PM
server issues in Milwaukee were fixed earlier this afternoon, and we had about 2,700 people watching the afternoon air show.

Next up is the evening Theater in the Woods presentations which should be live in about 5 min.

Dave S
07-29-2014, 05:46 AM
server issues in Milwaukee were fixed earlier this afternoon, and we had about 2,700 people watching the afternoon air show.

Next up is the evening Theater in the Woods presentations which should be live in about 5 min.

Awesome! Thank you for all of your hard work. It sure is nice to be able to see what is going on.

Paul Hayden
07-29-2014, 10:18 AM
If you missed an air show or Theater in the Woods presentation They can be found at least for the next month on the livestream page https://new.livestream.com/accounts/4758466 then click the links for either Air shows, or Theater presentations all available shows are listed

jimwomble
07-29-2014, 12:13 PM
I have been trying for two days to view the webcams but always get is the message - This page can't be displayed. Have a high speed Verizon connection on a new computer that work fine on all other sites. Tried logging in first. Any suggestion?

DeltaDave
07-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Would anyone know if there is a webcam setup covering the seaplane base? If so, would you happen to have a link to it?

Good job on the webcams... Your efforts are greatly appreciated by all !

Thank You
Dave

DeltaDave
07-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Jim, Allow popups from eaa/aiventure.org And the streams should load. Worked for me !

Dave

Paul Hayden
07-29-2014, 12:31 PM
When you get to the page with the links to all the cameras, you need to add that URL to the list of trusted sites and disable any pop up blockers

There isn't a webcam at sea plane base yet. We have been tossing around the idea, and it's logistic challenges. :)

jimwomble
07-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Dave thanks for tip - it worked.

Todd Ritzman
07-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Just a little information about the feed for the Webcams around the grounds. This stream will go dark during the times that the Theater in the woods program is being streamed. This is due to the shared bandwidth we currently have available to get the streams out of the AirVenture grounds and t our server. After the theater program I completed, we will resume the Webcams around the ground feed.

Tonight Theater in the Woods Program starts at 7 pm central daylight time and the line up is:
7 pm Bill Barber Awards for Showmanship
7:30 pm Perlin Project
8pm X Prize 10th Anniversary
8:45 pm I want to be an Astronaut

spongebobiwan
07-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Perhaps my timing is just lousy and I've managed to repeatedly miss anything on the cam "Around the Grounds", but I'm just wondering if anybody else has managed to catch that video feed or not?

Todd Ritzman
07-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Perhaps my timing is just lousy and I've managed to repeatedly miss anything on the cam "Around the Grounds", but I'm just wondering if anybody else has managed to catch that video feed or not?

Yes that stream was up all afternoon and we had many people connected to it. Please read the post before yours as to when and why it is down in the evenings.

spongebobiwan
07-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi Todd. Thanks for your response. I kinda figured it had to be my timing on my end, as I was pretty much engrossed in the One Day Wonder cam while glancing at the Warbird, Vintage, and Ultralight cams. I didn't keep any cams up and open on my monitor that were not running when I tried them. Maybe that's my error and I should keep them all up even if they are not operational at the moment. When they do become operational, will the window I fired them up with on my browser automatically also fire up and the cams will go live on my browser, or do I need to just keep checking periodically? Anyway, thanks again. Cams this year are really awesome.

Todd Ritzman
07-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi Todd. Thanks for your response. I kinda figured it had to be my timing on my end, as I was pretty much engrossed in the One Day Wonder cam while glancing at the Warbird, Vintage, and Ultralight cams. I didn't keep any cams up and open on my monitor that were not running when I tried them. Maybe that's my error and I should keep them all up even if they are not operational at the moment. When they do become operational, will the window I fired them up with on my browser automatically also fire up and the cams will go live on my browser, or do I need to just keep checking periodically? Anyway, thanks again. Cams this year are really awesome.

I would think that you will have to re-launch the player as it will time out. We are currently processing the video from yesterday and will be starting that latter today. Currently some other random footage is being played on that connection.

iflyatiger
07-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Hey Guys.. Thanks again for all of the work that you do for this event..

I know you only hear from me once a year.

Most of today it looks like the North and South webcams are Not Live. Is this the case or is the time and date on those cameras just wrong ?

Thanks again..

Paul Hayden
07-31-2014, 02:25 PM
all 3 of the way finding tower cameras and the OWW are always live. Actually we have no way of making them any thing but live. We do have issues with elves that sneak up to the towers at night and unplug all our equipment presumably to plug in their elf phones. That often causes issues, also for some reason they sometimes have issues syncing with a time server like they are supposed to. But I assure you...if you see a picture on those cameras, its live.

iflyatiger
07-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the answer Paul.. I appreciate you taking the time.

all 3 of the way finding tower cameras and the OWW are always live. Actually we have no way of making them any thing but live. We do have issues with elves that sneak up to the towers at night and unplug all our equipment presumably to plug in their elf phones. That often causes issues, also for some reason they sometimes have issues syncing with a time server like they are supposed to. But I assure you...if you see a picture on those cameras, its live.

Wrongway Feldman
08-01-2014, 09:05 AM
FYI
As of 10:00 AM 8/1/14
Webcam Central/Vintage stream is down.
Someone is charging their phone again.:)

Wrongway Feldman
08-01-2014, 09:19 AM
I did not realize that the One Week Wonder stream, cycles through 4 different web cameras.
Giving 4 different camera angles of the One Week Wonder
About a 20 second view before cycling/switching to the next camera.

Pretty slick!

Paul Hayden
08-01-2014, 10:11 AM
this time its a bad GFCI that won't reset...

iflyatiger
08-01-2014, 02:28 PM
3:27 PM .. Looks like the rain stopped and they are flying again.. Any chance of getting the air show cam back up soon ?

iflyatiger
08-01-2014, 02:34 PM
THANK YOU ! Even if the cam just stays pointed there it is still good.. Thanks again..

Paul Hayden
08-02-2014, 08:16 AM
yeah..dodging raindrops yesterday, it takes the camera guy a little bit of time to setup and take down.

spongebobiwan
08-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm taking a few moments today tuning into the video feeds while I do some thought collection and sorting. As always, I'm still flabbergasted at how this significant size of real estate can go from being so empty, to so full, to so empty again, in such a sort period of time. And I realize obviously, that over 5,000 volunteers make this happen, and yes, it happens every year. But I can't help it. I'm still amazed, almost as if I was a small child seeing an airplane for the first time.

Having said all that, I just want to offer my gratitude to all the volunteers, but specifically to the team that works on providing all the video feeds. In my opinion, you all went beyond the expected, both in scope and performance this year. The One Week Wonder was mesmerizing. I found myself spending far more time than I had anticipated viewing it. The Webcam Around the Grounds was just FUN, with a capital "F". For those of us who could not attend AirVenture, it really gave the feel of "you are here". I really enjoyed watching the guests at the EAA Radio webcam while listening to what they had to say. Nice to attach a face to a voice. The control Tower Videographer is improving yearly and making watching the air shows better and better. And of course the Wayfinding Towers and Theater in the Woods cams continued providing almost flawless coverage as we have come to expect. Coupling those Wayfinding Tower cams with the LiveATC feeds, really gives a good feel to what's going on around the field. I know there were a couple of hiccups, there always are. That's inevitable. But given the vast amount of video and audio feed provided, I think the hiccups were extremely minimal, especially when considering all the added features this year.

So, once again, my hat's off to all of you on this really great team. Thanks for all your hard work.

Ken Mercer
08-04-2014, 04:46 PM
+1!

dmbleess
08-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Plus a whole lot more I'd say. Hat's off to all the thousands that make it happen.

Paul Hayden
08-05-2014, 09:59 AM
cool. Thanks guys, we really appreciate it. The random camera views were an unexpected result of good cell service and the ability to stream live from our phones to the server. We tried it for our own amusement an quickly learned how many people were viewing it. I think in the future you can expect more of that kind of thing...

anybody ever built a steady cam mount for a golf car? :)

spongebobiwan
08-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Though I think your last question was asked tongue in check, just in the event it was not, I'll respond. Not exactly sure what you mean by "steady", as it can be a relative term. It could mean solidly fixed, or it could mean vibration and rattle free. I use a GoPro mount (well, with a GoPro camera also to be precise) mounted on the scorecard plate of my one-person golf cart. It's technically a golf cart but was made specifically for the disabled. Why they decided to leave a scorecard plate on it I do not know, but perhaps it was too much of a bother to take it off. In any event, it is very solidly fixed, though I would not consider it vibration free. On hard surfaces it does fine, but I don't suspect it would do so well on rough grass, etc. I guess that would take some sort of shock-absorbing attachment, or more.

Paul Hayden
08-06-2014, 06:32 AM
yea, I'm serious. I've seen some vibration dampening gimbal systems that are designed to keep the cameras level and take out some of the rough terrain bounce. something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014502-REG/steadicam_curve_bk_curve_for_gopro_hero.html

spongebobiwan
08-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Right. The weights and balancing probably have some sort of gyroscopic effect. Now, to find something similar but mount as opposed to being hand-held. Seems to me that shock moment reduction is probably more important than vibration isolation for that application. Most devices seem geared towards vibration isolation so it might be a tough find. And I'm just wondering, since I mentioned gyroscopic, if some sort of cage device that loosely holds the camera internal to the cage by some stretchy sort of elastic material with a small gyroscopic device attached to the camera would isolate the shock moment somewhat. Just a thought. But, I'll spend some time searching online to see if I can find anything.

spongebobiwan
08-06-2014, 08:50 PM
This is kind of interesting. Not exactly what I initially was thinking, but perhaps effective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5foP6Qdq6U4

Perhaps something along these lines is commercially available. I'll keep looking.

Found this on Amazon. Still investigating. Pricey though:

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Zenmuse-GoPro-Hero-Brushless/dp/B00CUJXGS2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407380174&sr=8-5&keywords=gyro+stabilized+camera+mount

Or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarot-TL68A00-Gimbal-with-Gyro-Camera-Mount-RCFPV-PTZ-for-Gopro-3-DJI-Quadcopter-/321190336840

By the way, I've been googling "gyroscopic camera mount for ATV" to find the above items.

spongebobiwan
08-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Looks like a company named Tarot sells the device in the link for GoPro cameras:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarot-Gopro-2-axis-Brushless-Gimbal-w-Gyro-TL68A00-Two-Axis-FPV-Camera-Gimbal-/261555224062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce5e7fdfe

edit - I guess I already posted the Tarot one...my bad..it's late.

Todd Ritzman
08-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Thank you to all that watched the webcams this year and for positive comments. While we did have some technical challenges, overall everything went well.

Some of you know from previous years that these webcams are provided entirely through volunteers and many donations of equipment and services, as well as the support of EAA.

The last two years we have had two new volunteers (Steve and Michael) recording some of the random footage from around the grounds and then putting together clips that are played back during the week. These two people put on miles and miles while walking around the grounds to record things of interest that our fixed cameras just cannot provide.

For those that are going through Oshkosh withdrawal and need a little pick me up, here are links to the Control Tower Views and some of the Theater in the Woods programs. These videos will be available for approximately another month before the subscription runs out.

https://new.livestream.com/accounts/4758466/events/3191383

https://new.livestream.com/accounts/4758466/events/3194325

Todd

Jim Rosenow
08-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Todd, Paul, and crew, I was happy to find the memorial wall tribute to Paul (PHP that is) amongst the videos. We had hoped to fly up in time for that, but wx precluded it. Thank you!

Jim
EAA64315