PDA

View Full Version : Buying Oil at Airventure?

Joe Delene
07-09-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm thinking about buying 3 cases of Phillips oil at Airventure. I'll also have my plane parked at the North 40, weather dependent.

I've heard they sell oil at the Phillips 66 tent? He told me if you buy at least 3 cases they deliver to your vehicle, auto or plane. The other option is the pre-order with Aircraft Spruce.

Has anyone bought a few cases of oil while at Airventure? I have ordered through the local supplier but thought I'd try while at KOSH. Thanks.

FlyingRon
07-09-2014, 07:04 AM
I've seen it for sale. You'd have to evaluate the price. I get pretty good local prices at the local Shell distributor (Quarles here in Virginia).

I have picked up a battery at Oshkosh. I figured as heavy as those are, it would be cheaper for me to swap it out there than to ship it home.

gbrasch
07-09-2014, 07:50 AM
I've bought, good deals and they deliver...

Joe Delene
07-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks, I'll check into it. Aviation oil prices seemed to be up from 18 ago, shipping is always high too.

Joe Delene
07-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Well, I would be relatively light, so the weight would be O.K., balance too. I do read a good amount of accident reports, it's often the common things over and over. I am still in the evaluation phase. If I find the right pre-Airventure deal, I 'll let it ship to the house.

FlyingRon
07-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Buckle them down if it bothers you.

rwanttaja
07-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Buckle them down if it bothers you.

Absolutely, Ron. Whether it's eighty points of oil or eighty pounds of feathers, it should be secured. The density of the cargo makes no difference, as long as the floor can handle the load. A dense item is probably easier to secure.

Years ago, I worked on a study that looked at using Space Shuttles to deliver nuclear waste for on-orbit disposal. It would have been packed inside a pair of armored balls, each about six feed in diameter. Goal was to survive re-entry heat and ground impact without losing integrity... AND retain its hold on the aft bulkhead. Took more than a nylon strap and a come-along...

Ron Wanttaja

FlyingRon
07-11-2014, 06:34 AM
We pack up the back seat pretty tight going out to Oshkosh and use the seat belts to strap things down. The rest goes into the baggage compartment which doesn't communicate with the cabin in flight. Why is it that now that I don't even bring camping gear to/from Oshkosh (it's in a storage locker there) that the plane is still full?

Mike M
07-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks, I'll check into it. Aviation oil prices seemed to be up from 18 ago, shipping is always high too.

Shipping? Hmm. You buy engine oil from AC Pine? Try Autozone or WalMart or check the yellow pages for a local petro products distributor. Don't see it on the shelf, ask the manager. Even in a town of only 8k people we still could buy case lots locally using those sources competing with each other on price.

L16 Pilot
07-12-2014, 06:43 AM
I buy mine (Phillips 20/50 XC) from the local Phillips dealer. They carry all brands of aviation oil. While the price has increased a lot over the years I don't think it's out of line and certainly cheaper than individual quarts of the local FBO