PDA

View Full Version : Chicago VFR Corridor

Elkhart7AC
07-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Hey guys. I am heading to Oshkosh this year in my Champ and I've got a question for anyone who flies the VFR lakeshore corridor through Chicago.

My my champ does not have an electrical system. Therefore, according to FAR 91.215(b)(3) I can go through there VFR without a transponder. Have any of you done this though? My concern is that even though I know it's legal, the guy in the tracon may not remember that and stir up trouble. I had a similar issue with Toledo once.

i do have a pretty good hand held radio and have no qualms about calling Chicago approach.

I am an ATP rated pilot and frequently fly into Chicago airspace but that's always in a go-fast airplane with two transponders. I need some advice from someone who's gone without any bells or whistles.

Thanks in advance.

Elkhart7AC
07-02-2014, 04:00 PM
I made an error is phraseology in my last post, there is no VFR Corridor but rather the lakeshore route under the Class B airspace of ORD. Question still applies.

Fred Stadler
07-02-2014, 05:35 PM
"The guy in tracon" is likely the least of your concerns. The lakeshore route has always been very busy and a recent change has compressed its two-way traffic even more. Since February 6th of this year the RNAV approaches for RWY 22 at Midway (MDW) allow jet traffic between 3,000' and 2,400' over the lake shore. With prevailing southwest winds, those approaches are in common use. The jet wingtip vortices are not constrained to stay at those altitudes. The new upper limit for the VFR flyway south of Navy Pier is 2,000'. Lake Michigan is at 580', leaving very little vertical separation for the intensive traffic in that area. A transponder could help you show up on the traffic displays of other, likely much faster VFR traffic.
I love Champs, but that airspace isn't where I'd choose to fly one, especially without a transponder. But it's your call...
-Fred Stadler

Jeff Point
07-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Ditto what Fred said. I fly this corridor semi-frequently, but it is with a transponder, active traffic alert technology, not to mention a plane where I only have to be concerned with traffic ahead and not behind. I love Champs but that ain't the place for them.

Elkhart7AC
07-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Probably good advice guys. I've not been through there VFR. I go into ORD, MDW and PWK frequently in our Citations but I'm not very familiar with single engine ops through there. Guess we'll plan on the scenic route ;-) cheers guys

Barry
07-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Probably good advice guys. I've not been through there VFR. I go into ORD, MDW and PWK frequently in our Citations but I'm not very familiar with single engine ops through there. Guess we'll plan on the scenic route ;-) cheers guys

Elkhart7AC, I disagree with those who advise you not to fly the lakeshore without a transponder. I have done so many times (20+) without problem. Flying a champ is not about getting somewhere fast, but enjoying the ride. I too am a corporate pilot, flying Challengers for the last 14 years. Still, those are time machines, not airplanes. Find a good weather day and fly just offshore at a 1000 feet. It was mentioned it is a very busy corridor. Since Meigs closed, I have rarely seen another airplane, and I only go through at Osh Kosh time when it should be especially busy. There will be no issue with the RNAV approaches and you will have the indelible memory of seeing Chicago low and slow as can only be seen in your Champ. This IS the scenic route. Best regards, Barry

TedK
07-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Elkhart7AC, I disagree with those who advise you not to fly the lakeshore without a transponder. I have done so many times (20+) without problem. Flying a champ is not about getting somewhere fast, but enjoying the ride. I too am a corporate pilot, flying Challengers for the last 14 years. Still, those are time machines, not airplanes. Find a good weather day and fly just offshore at a 1000 feet. It was mentioned it is a very busy corridor. Since Meigs closed, I have rarely seen another airplane, and I only go through at Osh Kosh time when it should be especially busy. There will be no issue with the RNAV approaches and you will have the indelible memory of seeing Chicago low and slow as can only be seen in your Champ. This IS the scenic route. Best regards, Barry

Last year a GA was lost at Milwaukee after upset by a DC-9's wake. Now the FAA has gone and set up a situation worse than Milwaukee with the lowered altitude on the 22 approach. If Midway is landing to the Southwest, I think I would forgo the lakeshore route to avoid the wake turbulence and chance of an upset. Why we aren't all screaming about the RNAV 22 Airspace grab is beyond me.

That at said, the lakeshore route is under under the class B and within the mode C veil. So isn't a transponder required?

Kyle Boatright
07-03-2014, 07:20 PM
That at said, the lakeshore route is under under the class B and within the mode C veil. So isn't a transponder required?

Only if the airplane has (or ever had) an electrical system. A Champ may not...

Rick Rademacher
07-03-2014, 08:21 PM
I flew my Cub there in 2012 and may do it again this year.

https://vimeo.com/47426713

Joe Delene
07-04-2014, 01:33 AM
I fly the ORD lakefront at times, no need during Airventure though. It hasn't been all that busy for me. I keep an eye out & give the airliners a wide berth. I would pay mind to the weather on the day, especially during busy Oshkosh times.

Just keep a watchful eye, should be no issues.

mkoschak
07-08-2014, 09:20 AM
As a Chicago area flight instructor I've flown the lakeshore route many, many times for discovery flights, photo missions, etc. During the week it probably won't be too busy but on the weekends it is typically pretty hectic with banner towers, sight see-ers, and transitioning traffic. See and avoid is the name of the game. As far as approach causing you issues due to lack of a transponder, don't know but it sounds like others have transitioned without an issue. Have fun!

rleffler
07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Is it a safe assumption that before 10am, it's just going to be us north bound crazies heading to OSH? When does the local sight seeing traffic start?

mkoschak
07-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Is it a safe assumption that before 10am, it's just going to be us north bound crazies heading to OSH? When does the local sight seeing traffic start?

Things probably get going around 9am and build up from there. I don't think you'll have any problems. VFR flight following with Chicago Approach is helpful - 128.2 (south) , 120.55 (north).

Bill Greenwood
07-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I don't think I would call Chicago approach. Without a transponder they can't see you or give advisories but can always try to discourage you. Fly in good vis and the old way, actually look out the window for traffic.

jaredyates
07-14-2014, 12:44 PM
At the risk of thread hijacking, can any of you local Chicago experts recommend a place to park a small 4-place homebuilt for the weekend before Oshkosh? I need to fly it solo to the area on 7-24, airline out of ORD for a weekend wedding, then airline back to ORD on Monday morning, then fly the homebuilt to OSH. Is PWK amenable to transient lightweights? They seem close enough for a doable cab ride for our family of 4.

mkoschak
07-15-2014, 08:32 AM
At the risk of thread hijacking, can any of you local Chicago experts recommend a place to park a small 4-place homebuilt for the weekend before Oshkosh? I need to fly it solo to the area on 7-24, airline out of ORD for a weekend wedding, then airline back to ORD on Monday morning, then fly the homebuilt to OSH. Is PWK amenable to transient lightweights? They seem close enough for a doable cab ride for our family of 4.

I wouldn't say PWK isn't amenable, but it definitely handles more of the business jet crowd and is a busier airport in general. UGN is less busy, isn't as expensive but is of course a bit farther from ORD. It's about a 50 min drive to O'hare from UGN compared to maybe 20 from PWK.