PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that literally dreams about Oshkosh?

AgentCOPP1
06-30-2014, 04:08 PM
I find myself always dreaming about being at Oshkosh. It's such a magical event that even my sleeping mind likes to dwell on it. Am I just obsessed or are there other people who experience this too???

1600vw
06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Its an aviation thing. I dream about it day and night.

Enjoy, if you go make sure you plan your visit before you go. They have forums for this. If you don't there is so much going on all at once you will miss the important things to you. When I went I wanted to set in on every forum they had. If I had not checked ahead of time I would have missed a lot.

Tony

scuba72
06-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Nope, your not the only one. After my first experience there (2008) I came back home disappointed till I realized I tried to do too much in too little time. First time I probably took 200+ pictures. Last year I took one. About this time of year, my build progress slows to almost a halt. When I get home after I am so pumped up I get 3 months worth of work in a couple of weeks. Oshkosh motivates me and recharges my batteries and I look forward to it every year

RC Gregg
06-30-2014, 08:36 PM
These symptoms usually flare up in me this time of year:
If you have a complete loss of focus at your job,,,you might be an Airventure junkie.
If you built a model of the big brown arch out of mashed potatoes at dinner,,,you might be an Airventure junkie
If you break off an important conversation to watch something fly over,,,
If you are already starting to prep/pack camping gear,,,

CarlOrton
06-30-2014, 09:31 PM
....if you realize, around the last week in January, that there's only 6 more months!

Bill Berson
06-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Yeh, in my recurring dream I am usually attempting to get to the far end of the field but can't walk fast.

AgentCOPP1
07-01-2014, 02:16 PM
1600vw, I've been going every year since 2008. Each year it seems like I stay just a little bit longer haha.

Usually I dream about setting up my campsite next to the ultralight barn. It usually seems to be before the show when all the fields are pretty empty. Seeing those vast empty fields is surreal (in real life and in my dreams) in a way because you know it's going to be bustling with activity soon, like the calm before the storm.

Hal Bryan
07-01-2014, 04:44 PM
1600vw, I've been going every year since 2008. Each year it seems like I stay just a little bit longer haha.

This same thing happened to me, starting in 1999...then, in 2009, I just didn't leave, and I've lived and worked here ever since! :)

Seeing those vast empty fields is surreal (in real life and in my dreams) in a way because you know it's going to be bustling with activity soon, like the calm before the storm.

I see this every day, and, even after five years, there's still something jarring to me about seeing the grounds empty like that...

My Oshkosh dreams are split: two thirds of them are about all the fun things that I so look forward to every year, while the other third are more of the staff-member stress variety - "Oh my gosh, it started yesterday and I'm totally not ready", I've just stepped on stage to do a presentation and forgotten my pants, etc.

mazdaP5
07-01-2014, 06:15 PM
I have Oshkosh dreams. Usually I'm setting up camp, or watching from VAC. Oshkosh nightmares are when I can't get up to Warbirds because it's too busy. I have them quite often actually, and for a long time now.

Mayhemxpc
07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
I had one about a week or so ago. There was 3 to 6 inches of snow on the ground, which made setting up the campsite kind of difficult. Not to mention the effect on the showers and port-a-let.

Jeff Point
07-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Around here we refer to 6 inches of snow on the ground as "late spring" and 3 inches as "early summer." You must have been right between the two.

1600vw
07-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Around here we refer to 6 inches of snow on the ground as "late spring" and 3 inches as "early summer." You must have been right between the two.

Summit county Colorado 3 inches is a dusting as is 6 inches. You must get feet before they break out any snow removal equipment.

Tony

Jeff Point
07-02-2014, 05:31 AM
First liar never stands a chance around here...

jjhoneck
07-04-2014, 12:51 AM
This will be OSH #32 for me. I start dreaming about it in January. By now, I can hardly stand it! We want to head for WI right now!

It's a sickness, I tell ya. :)

phavriluk
07-04-2014, 08:24 AM
I dream, too. Getting washed out of my campsite by thunderstorms. Very realistic.

AgentCOPP1
07-05-2014, 03:06 PM
I dream, too. Getting washed out of my campsite by thunderstorms. Very realistic.
Yeah remember that really severe storm we had last year (I think) that only lasted like a few minutes haha.

FunInAviation
07-07-2014, 05:17 AM
If "day" dreams qualify, I really drift off at work, thinking about all the fun I will have there.

rbarkerjr
07-07-2014, 07:19 AM
If "day" dreams qualify, I really drift off at work, thinking about all the fun I will have there.

Me too... Can't wait!

TedK
07-07-2014, 09:46 AM
My Time of Useful Consciousness seems devoted to OSH.

Zack Baughman
07-07-2014, 09:52 AM
When I get real stressed out, I tend to have dreams about being late to a Calculus for Business final in college, or not getting my homework done for Mr. Burkhalter's Algebra II class in high school. I tend to get these dreams the week before AirVenture as my mind races through the checklist of tasks I have to have completed before the convention kicks off. Have I got all the docent schedules ready? Did I remember to get the speaker introductions printed out for the museum, did I get the release forms copied for Timeless Voices? All these types of things that we staffers worry about! :rollseyes:

FunInAviation
07-08-2014, 05:37 AM
All this talk of AirVenture made me "venture" into my pile of photos from years past at Oshkosh. Here's my collage of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfWJLutfVh4

AgentCOPP1
07-08-2014, 09:04 PM
All this talk of AirVenture made me "venture" into my pile of photos from years past at Oshkosh. Here's my collage of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfWJLutfVh4
Ah, the sea plane base. That's a neat and cozy little place.

Mayhemxpc
07-21-2014, 09:00 AM
OK. It's Monday before. I can tell I am going to be absolutely useless at work all week. (Well, maybe not absolutely.) Between last minute airplane touch-ups, pre-flight planning, looking at the weather...well it seems to be all consuming. Fortunately my wife is supportive. (And a good thing, too since she is driving up with two of my sons and most of the camping gear.)

rbarkerjr
07-22-2014, 08:58 AM
The daydreaming is in high gear today! Can't wait to get out there...

CarlOrton
07-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Funny you mentioned that, Ron.... All last night I kept dreaming that my wife was in Aluminum Overcast during its ferry flight back to OSH for Convention. I was concerned that she wouldn't get the jacket for a ferry flight!!

mazdaP5
10-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Had my first Oshkosh dream of the year (the year being marked as the time between airventures) last night. Though it was mostly a dream of camp Scholer and mud, but still, that's a big part of it.