PDA

View Full Version : first Timer Questions - Lawn Chairs and Umbrellas

Jadephoenixx
06-30-2014, 06:31 AM
Hi there...this will be our first AirVenture and we're just wondering about what to do with the lawn chairs we plan on bringing for the afternoon airshow. From what I gather, it's a no-no to put your chairs on the lawn early in the morning so what does everyone do with them? Carry them around all day? I can't imagine doing that in the heat and humidity. We were thinking about leaving them in the car and going back for them in time for the show - is that realistic? We plan to be there by 8/8:30am each morning to get a closer parking lot. Also, are beach umbrellas allowed? For the local airshows we attend, we've always put up a beach umbrella by our chairs for shade and it's never been a problem. Is that ok at AirVenture?

CarlOrton
06-30-2014, 07:54 AM
You basically carry them around with you or get them from your car in time for the show.

If you arrive by 8 to 8:30, you won't be parking close. I ride the bus from the dorms, catching the 6:30 or 7 AM bus; by the time we get to the grounds, the blue lot (outside the front gate) is pretty full. Not full, but getting there. Others may have suggestions for a better lot.

The only years I watched the airshow was when we had a Baron parked out right on the burn line next to the taxiway (they put the twins closer to the taxiways due to weight). It was a simple matter to just keep the chairs in the plane, but naturally that's somewhat of an extreme solution.

I carry around with me a small folding stool that will fit completely in my backpack. Better than nothing. Can't see carrying around a chair.

Personally, I think you'd be inviting a lot of wrath if you brought a beach umbrella (if you're talking the 6-7' tall, 7' diameter ones).

gbrasch
06-30-2014, 08:42 AM
28 trips to OSH, don't think I have ever seen a beach umbrella. And if I remember correctly, staff will pick up unattended chairs.

Jadephoenixx
06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
28 trips to OSH, don't think I have ever seen a beach umbrella. And if I remember correctly, staff will pick up unattended chairs.

Really?? It's quite common where we're from for people to bring beach umbrellas, sun tents, etc for an afternoon airshow. Do you think it would ok if we brought regular rain umbrellas for some shade?

Floatsflyer
06-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Agreed on the beach umbrella, I have never seen one used on the flightline during the airshow. If you want your first Oshkosh to be a memorable one for all the right reasons, don't bring it to the airshows. However, we've been using small umbrellas with attachments to lawn chairs for years and have never heard a discouraging word. Many use these, so you'll be OK with this.

Jadephoenixx
06-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Agreed on the beach umbrella, I have never seen one used on the flightline during the airshow. If you want your first Oshkosh to be a memorable one for all the right reasons, don't bring it to the airshows. However, we've been using small umbrellas with attachments to lawn chairs for years and have never heard a discouraging word. Many use these, so you'll be OK with this.

Fantastic! Thanks Floatsflyer!

johnthegreata
06-30-2014, 03:27 PM
People always leave their chairs along the flight line. They have to be laying down and don't get angry if they get moved because staff moves them when a plane has to get out.

RC Gregg
06-30-2014, 07:37 PM
A high wing plane makes a great umbrella in the afternoons.

FlyingRon
06-30-2014, 08:24 PM
The rules have changed over time. It used to be that unattended chairs weren't permitted period. They were collected and relocated to the shacks on the runway. That changed, now we are told to just fold them over and set them down so they won't blow. You do incur a lot of wrath of people when you stake out stuff on the flight line and then disappear until airshow time.

Note that Friday/Saturday/Sunday, the burn line is moved back to the speaker poles in the main areas. If you put your chairs up on the normal burn line you will NOT be able to get them once the area shuts down for the airshow.

Beach umbrellas no matter how you slice them are ANTISOCIAL and frankly dangerous to the aircraft. Please do NOT bring these.

Kurt Flunkn
07-03-2014, 08:52 PM
It's not worth the time to get a seat on the flight line. No matter where you set up your chairs there will *always* be people who stand along the flight line and block your view. I have found that it is far better to wait until the show starts and find a high wing plane to camp out under.

Joe Delene
07-04-2014, 01:37 AM
I like to travel light too, no chairs or umbrella. When the time comes just find some grass to sit down on. One can be inside a bunch, but use sunscreen as appropriate.

FlyingRon
07-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Be very careful sitting on the grass. I had this hideous skin breakout and I went to the medical building and they knew immediately what it was. There's a chemical they treat the grounds, it's photoactivated and some people (like me) are quite sensitive to it.

Dave Stadt
07-04-2014, 01:05 PM
One year my wife was bitten by some unknown insect while she was sitting in the grass. Had everyone in the medical building stumped. They all had a look, shrugged their shoulders and gave her something to put on the bite.

Jim Heffelfinger
07-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Heading to my first AV and purchased this very portable chair. Noted in the last bout of back pack camping the lack of comfortable seating - bear canister better than nothing but far short of comfortable.
http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
Was on sale for 49.

mc20
07-04-2014, 08:24 PM
It's not worth the time to get a seat on the flight line. No matter where you set up your chairs there will *always* be people who stand along the flight line and block your view. I have found that it is far better to wait until the show starts and find a high wing plane to camp out under.
This is so true. Unless your chair is right on the line and the arms are literally touching the chairs on either side of you, people will try to wedge in.

Inspector Fenwick
07-05-2014, 09:48 AM
This is so true. Unless your chair is right on the line and the arms are literally touching the chairs on either side of you, people will try to wedge in.

My first 15 or 20 times at OSH I felt that I just HAD to be on the flight line or otherwise be cheated out of part of the experience.

Now I park (and camp) alongside the flight line. I refuse to be on the END of the row due to the rudeness of many who use your campsite as their private area, without regard to the fact that there are others also under that big wing.

I am happy to be 50'+ behind the flightline. YOu see just as much, maybe more. You also aren't fighting the "elbow" issue mentioned earlier. Leave your giant umbrella in the car.

Unattended chairs are policed pretty well. Have fun.