PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS - Which to get?

Whallon.jesse
06-27-2014, 11:08 PM
First time poster, long time reader.

I'm now considering buying a portable GPS but having difficulty assessing the right option. I'm a VFR pilot and do most of my flying in class G,E,D airspace, occasionally in C when into Fresno. Right now I'm still honing my VFR skills but would like to obtain IFR certification within the next year. I don't need anything extravagant but also would like to "grow into" a gps device that has more capabilities. Never flown with ADS-B systems either and with the FAA projected changes in the future would I be wise to get a system compatible with it?

Thanks.

Mike M
06-28-2014, 04:27 AM
One of the growth problems of gps has been the change in features and buttonpushing sequence among different units, even growth versions from the same manufacturer. With your goal of transference into an ifr unit, look ahead to what you'll be using and seek a portable to emulate that. For example, a friend who's been using the garmin pilot app on his ipad and iphone reports the garmin touchscreen panel mount in his buddy's arrow has the same button push sequences. garmin also offers that app for android, and a 30day trial is free. Perhaps you have a compatible device already to try it out. contact garmin customer support, maybe they could be more informative about degree of compatibility than "buddyaminesez ".

FlyingRon
06-28-2014, 05:03 AM
There's no such thing as an IFR handheld. An iPad and to a lesser extent the other tablets let you get multiple software at multiple levels. I've been a foreflight user for years and it's handy having real sectionals and runway diagrams (and when you're ready for them IFR Enroutes and Plates) there at your fingertips. Pretty reasonable thing for flight planning. You can add on in flight weather, etc.... if you want that or you can just use the internet on the ground to retrieve stuff for planning purposes.

gbrasch
06-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Or there are some great deals out there on the older units like the Garmin 496 etc series......used it every day at work before I retired with XM weather and terrain, carry it now on every personal flight as a back up to my EFIS system. Hope that helps.

1600vw
06-28-2014, 08:37 AM
I use the Bendix King Av8tor handheld. You can link this with the Zaon XRX TAS and have traffic on the Av8tor screen. The biggest issue. Both companies have discontinued both units. But you can find them on ebay.

Tony

Joe Delene
06-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Here's one I like, the 696. Look for a slightly used one.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72314

Jim Clark
06-28-2014, 02:06 PM
OK Jesse, my 2 cents worth. I fly with the Garmin 496 with XM WX in panel docks in my antique aircraft and love it. Very easy to fit this into old panels.
Recently put a Garmin 795 w/GDL39 ADS-B antenna as the primary nav in my RV9 over a little iCom comm and really enjoy this for flying VFR around FL. Went with the 795 over the 796 because I use the GDL39 for traffic and weather, no need to spend the extra for XM capability.
In my A36 I slaved a Garmin 696 w/XM WX to my 530/430 stack and use it as my map w/WX display. When I am flying between KS and FL I want a good WX display and right now the XM beats the "free" service accessed by my 795 w/GDL39.
My choice:
IFR - Garmin 696 w XM WX preferably slaved to your NAV1 IFR GPS for supplemental use.
VFR - Garmin 795/796 w/GDL39 ADS-B antenna. Buy the 795 and put the difference toward the GDL39.

Whichever way you go try to mount the unit in a panel dock, makes using it a lot more convenient and you can still take it out to use in other aircraft.

PA11
06-29-2014, 07:34 AM
If you have an iPad, foreflight and a stratus would be the best money you could spend in terms of a GPS.

1600vw
06-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Speaking of cost. I refuse to spend a grand for a GPS for an EAB.

Tony

TedK
06-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Speaking of cost. I refuse to spend a grand for a GPS for an EAB.

Tony
I'm very happy with Foreflight on my iPhone and iPad. I also have a Dual XGPS150 to provide GPS to my Wifi only iPad. I turn on the hotspot function on my iPhone to feed current weather to the iPad, but frankly the iPhone is plenty good enough.

Try Foreflight or FltPlan on your smart phone before you spend a fortune on a GPS. It will help you save sheckles for the mandatory ADS-B Out.

1600vw
06-29-2014, 11:20 AM
I'm very happy with Foreflight on my iPhone and iPad. I also have a Dual XGPS150 to provide GPS to my Wifi only iPad. I turn on the hotspot function on my iPhone to feed current weather to the iPad, but frankly the iPhone is plenty good enough.

Try Foreflight or FltPlan on your smart phone before you spend a fortune on a GPS. It will help you save sheckles for the mandatory ADS-B Out.

I do not have a smart phone. Not that I have not purchased them. I gave them all to family. Myself I never wanted one. So explain a couple things to me for I have never used one.

Do you need the internet or wifi or what ever they call it to use this GPS function? If you do is this coverage everywhere?

Can you see these screens in direct sunlight?

Tony

Mike M
06-29-2014, 12:10 PM
"Do you need the internet or wifi or what ever they call it to use this GPS function? If you do is this coverage everywhere?

Can you see these screens in direct sunlight? "

the "smartphone" i'm using as my backup to my tablet is a motorola droid x running android 2.something and the avare app, also free. my brother in law gave it to me when he upgraded. no wireless phone plan at all. uses wifi to update before flight, runs in flight all over the USA using gps without any connection to anything (but of course will not update during the flight). readable in direct sunlight under a clear canopy, but sometimes have to tilt it a bit to avoid glare. the capabilities of competing units and operating systems are so widely varied it's impossible for me to catalog and answer if ALL units will work with only GPS all the time.

i recommend this approach (handmedowns and free apps) to see if the concept works for you and to gain a better idea what to buy before putting $$$ on the table. your mileage may vary.

TedK
06-29-2014, 07:42 PM
I do not have a smart phone. Not that I have not purchased them. I gave them all to family. Myself I never wanted one. So explain a couple things to me for I have never used one.

Do you need the internet or wifi or what ever they call it to use this GPS function? If you do is this coverage everywhere?

Can you see these screens in direct sunlight?

Tony

i, too, kept a "dumb phone" till last year. I then got an IPhone to use inflight. I have a glare screen on it and have no problem under a tinted canopy.

My iPhone is "self contained"...it has its own internal GPS to provide Position (and Time). Apps such as Foreflight, FltPlan, etc provide the Charts and function as a mobile Navigator determining Time, Distance, etc. Since the iPhone is a smartphone, it also connects to the cellular network when below about 4 or 5 thousand feet (some might claim in defiance of FCC Regs) providing weather and radar.

An iPad or tablet with 3G/4G I would work the same as an iPhone, albeit with a bigger screen. My iPad is wifi only so I feed it GPS from a Dual XGPS (cost less $100) .

I tried Foreflight, Jepp, AvPlan and AOPA's FlyQ EFB. I liked FF's ability to file DC SFRA flight plans, I like the fuel cost function, and the comments.

miemsed
06-30-2014, 04:30 PM
There are many people who use the iPad in flight to save money on aviation GPS updates and tend to oversell the iPad and other tablets. I love my iPad and use it for all preflight and filing functions. I do not use it in flight due to limitations that are well publicized. I use a Garmin GTN 650 in the panel and a Garmin 796 on the yoke for approach plates etc. you cannot beat a dedicated aviation GPS for in flight use. Just do some research and get what is best for you. If you can afford a dedicated aviation GPS and afford the updates, you will find them far superior to any tablet with all the attachments and wires necessary for the tablet for in flight use. I am happy to pay for GPS updates and saved my money to buy the Garmin 796 as my safety and the safety of my passengers is worth the added expense. If you cannot afford an aviation GPS for inflight use, then the iPad or another tablet may be your best option.

steve
06-30-2014, 06:35 PM
I use a Nexus 7 tablet with Garmin's Pilot app. I've used it for 6 months and have no major complaints. The tablet is equipped with GPS and is wifi-only (no 3G/4G). The wifi is used on the ground to download charts and to view real time weather. Only the GPS circuit is used while flying. The tablet has Bluetooth so it will communicate with Garmins GDL-39 unit for ADS-B for inflight wx and traffic. I fly an RV in sunny Florida so even a paper chart can be hard to read at times. Readability is as good as any other device out there. Cost was $225 for the tablet and $75 for the app. I have the tablet on my leg like a kneeboard until I lash up a permanent mount.

Chris In Marshfield
07-01-2014, 07:13 AM
As far as dedicated aviation GPSes are concerned, I've had an iFly 700 and now iFly 720. Great purpose-built machines at a very affordable price. As an add-on, I use iFly Streets, which is a road-navigation software package. Maybe not as necessary given the ability to navigate by land on cell phones these days, but it works great where there is no cell service (which still occasionally happens). 7-inch screen, very bright in sunlight, resistive touch screen (works with gloves), and wi-fi updates to software (720 model). It has several other nice features as well, like overhead view of the airport (sort of like Google Maps) when you're on site so you can see which runway/taxiway you're on. All in all, very pleased.

~Chris

L16 Pilot
07-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I have the IFLY 700 in my L16 (Champ) also hooked to the Radair ADBS system. Seems to work very well. Doesn't have all the features of the 720 but most of my flying is fairly local anyway. I bought the ADBS for my yearly trip and back to Oshkosh or a jaunt here and there. I like the fact you can download any sectional maps you need off the internet. The subscription for VFR is $69 year. Mike

1600vw
07-05-2014, 03:59 AM
I like the Ifly product but in the Experimental such as mine its just to big. Why I use the Bendix King handheld. Price wise I could not find anything to match it.

Chris In Marshfield
07-05-2014, 05:57 AM
That BK handheld s nice. There are a couple of them in that size range. The iFly 540 came out recently that is similarly sized. I wonder if the AnywhereMap unit of similar size is still available...

1600vw
07-05-2014, 08:51 AM
If I every replace this unit http://www.bendixking.com/AV8OR I will go smart phone for size and cost. Plus its a phone. I carry a cell phone, but not a smart phone, on each flight so one less thing I need in my pocket or flight bag.

Tony

1600vw
07-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Speaking of Bendix King. I had a problem with this little unit that I caused. When updating the software on this unit I screwed it up. It was under warranty so I sent it back. Because I had these issues Bendix King loaded my little unit with everything they offer free of charge. When I got it back it now has airport charts and other things I will never use but it sure was nice of them to do this for me.
Great customer service from Bendix King.

Tony

Kyle Boatright
07-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I've been through 5 major brands of portable GPS and an iPad application. Here's my run-down.

iFly and Bendix/King's AV8OR were both re-purposed consumer grade electronics with aviation software. I was a fairly early adopter of both and found the hardware lacking and the software buggy as thousand year old rice. Multiple lock-ups and other failures in my short timeframe with each. I returned both for a full refund. I need reliability more than I need gee-whiz features. Atlanta/Hartsfield is pretty serious about its airspace and nothing will get your attention faster than the GPS going on the fritz while you're working around the perimeter or under Hartsfield's airspace.

Lowrance (RIP), Trimble (RIP), and Garmin. Purpose built, rock solid, stable platforms that never failed me in years of service. Great displays and simple functionality.

WingX on the iPhone and iPad. This has done well by me, but the iPad/iPhone are hard to read in the cockpit of the RV, and they have overheating issues in the cockpit. IMO, they are great situational awareness products (including AFD's and maps), but I would prefer a more robust solution (a dedicated aviation GPS) as my primary navigation device.

My personal preference is for a dedicated aviation device. In today's world, that really points you towards one of the Garmins.