PDA

View Full Version : First oshkosh

W Vaughan
06-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Hello everyone. The family and I will be making our first trip to oshkosh this year. We are planning on arriving Sunday evening at camp Scholler to tent camp through Thursday. I'm really wondering what to expect. Would it be better to arrive on Saturday? We are experience tent campers just new to oshkosh. Also what is the weather usually like? Hopefully cooler than what it is in central Ms. right now.

Thanks
W Vaughan

FlyingRon
06-18-2014, 06:54 AM
The only thing that happens the later you arrive is that you camp further away. Scholler is HUGE and you'll always have some place to go. Some of the outlying spaces are quieter anyhow. Scholler is very light weight camping if you are used to that thing. Toilets (mostly port-o-lets, but a few flushing), showers (of various levels depending on where you are in the camp), groceries and food are all conveniently located. Since it's likely you have a car, you'll have in and out privs in that and there's restaurants and walmart and such just up the highway from the EAA grounds.

Scholler is real well run, you pull in and they can sell you everything you need: your campsite credentials and your show admission (wristbands). If you're not yet an EAA member (REQUIRED to camp) then they can sell you that too. You can pay cash or they even take credit cards. Once past the gate you go find yourself some bare ground and pitch camp. I don't think Saturday v. Sunday is going to make a whole lot of difference. The crazies have been there for weeks occupying the closest in spots.

So far it's looking to be a little cooler than average (hopefully not so bad as last year). In Oshkosh you must be prepared for everything from the 50's (or cooler at night) up to 100 degrees. You can count at least one gully-washing thunderstorm sometime during the week too.

rleffler
06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Like Ron mentioned, arriving on Saturday may get you a better camping location. It's really hard to predict. Unfortunately, the trend is for folks to stake sites early and the number of folks doing so has been increasing. I've been camping with a group that has two guys arrive the Monday before to stake the group sites. We've been pushed about four or five streets west since I started camping. Although with a single site, you can never tell where there may be an open site available. It's somewhat like going to the mall at Christmas trying to find a parking spot. Which is a reason to arrive early. Sometimes it can be rather humorous watching people hunt for spots or squeezing into one. I can remember one year in which a Class A RV pulled in between the portajohns and a line of trees about 8' away. I think they were about 2" away for the back of the portajohns. I personally would have found another spot.

I go early on Saturday for a several reasons. The first is that flying in early on Saturday is a little less hectic. I enjoy watching the mass arrivals on Saturday afternoon. Last but not least, I volunteer to help set up on Sunday.

You can never tell what the weather may bring.

This document is a couple years old, but most of the info is still current. It does a good job at describing Camp Scholler camping.

bob

http://www.upaero.com/oshkoshairshowcampingguide.pdf

psvinny
06-18-2014, 12:16 PM
I try to arrive as early as I can fit it into my schedule. I think Saturday would be better than Sunday for a couple of reasons, some of which have been mentioned already. First of all you are spending an extra night with all of your new aviation friends you met during the day. But the best part is watching all the activity on Sunday from all the airplanes arriving and all the displays being assembled. When I leave 9 days later I wonder where the time went and then think about the things I missed because there were not enough hours in the day.

malexander
06-18-2014, 01:52 PM
I've been leaving OKC on Wednesday (the week before the show) and staying through Friday. It's interesting and fun to watch the frenzy of the exibitors trying to get set in a very short time on Saturday & Sunday. We get to see a lot of airplanes arriving. We've been staying in Sleepy Hollow Farm campground since we started going to OSH 14 years ago. Going to Oshkosh is sort of like riding a motorcycle on a trip, you need to pack 4 seasons of clothes because you never know what the weather will bring. And like has been mentioned already, there WILL be at least one huge rain storm during the week. It may come during the night or all of one day. Just be prepared.

Cary
06-19-2014, 09:15 PM
I fly in, so I don't know about Scholler, other than to ride the tram through it. My observation is that in wet years, it can be pretty muddy.

Other than that, the whole OSH experience is great. I used to come for 3 days, then 4, and now I come on Saturday and leave the last day. I have a large tent, so it's sort of my second home, there and elsewhere. I bring a folding bike, but there aren't too many places it can be used--I go off the airport to visit friends, and I go to the museum on it, but otherwise walk, take a bus, or take a tram--and that's really the way to go, as the bus and tram service is very good.

Weather is hugely variable, but it is typically pretty hot in the day, cooling at night to reasonable comfort if your tent is ventilated--I put a fan in the top of mine and that helps on the hotter nights. Days seem to vary from a low of about 80 to a high of 105. Every year I've been there, a monster storm has hit at least once, so stake your tent well. There is no such thing as an adequate self-supporting tent! And button it up when you're not there, because sometimes those storms come in very quickly.

Last year was a change of vendors, and the change was great. Food is good, plentiful, and not overly expensive, so other than my morning coffee fixings and a few other snack items, it's really not necessary to pack much food.

Incidentally, the museum is superb--try to work it into your schedule. Also, the Seaplane Base is one of my favorite places--a whole lot like walking into a Jimmy Buffet video, very relaxed and laid back.

Mostly, have lots of fun!

Cary

Zack Baughman
06-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Incidentally, the museum is superb--try to work it into your schedule.
Cary

As one of the staff responsible for the museum - I thank you for that!

-Zack

gpripps
06-20-2014, 07:46 AM
OOOOoooo.....Bring a bike for each of you. You might be camping out away from mass transportation. Plus a bike will let you wander around and see the whole campground and let you come and go as you please without having to wait for the crowded bus. Come on Sunday, you won't regret it, more than enough to see and do. HAVE FUN!!!!!!
Greg

Bill Greenwood
06-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Cary, I wonder if you ever eat at the Charcoal Broiler in Ft. Collins? It is just a couple of blocks due south of the middle of the runway, good food , with some variety and reasonable prices. The only strange thing is that there are no windows at all so if you walk in from a sunny day, at first you think you have gone blind until your eyes adjust.

Rotornut
06-20-2014, 05:15 PM
I won't repeat the excellent comments and advice above, just try to add.

There are areas designated for pets, RVs, 24-hour generator use, etc. Pay attention to your site selection. We rolled in once at 3am, pitched the tents, and awoke late morning to found ourselves in the RV area. Generators are common, and can be annoying to those not on the inside of the RV. But, we all share. Sometimes you can plan your site layout so the vehicle is closest to the gen, helping to block some of the noise. Honda gens don't seem nearly as noisy, even tolerable.
You can have campfires (unless there is a burn-ban), but buy wood locally. Carrying firewood long distance is a no-no, due to non-native bugs, etc.

The campgrounds have free wi-fi.

There is a Pik-n-Sav grocery store not far from the north end of the field. It's full-service, well-stocked, and the staff seem to really appreciate the EAAers that take over the city for a week. So, not necessary to bring all your food. There are plenty of restaurants, but they'll be busy with others like you. The city gears up for this annually, so extra staff makes it work.

The bikes were mentioned. Good idea if you can bring them, but a recent addition is bike rental in the campsite. There is a bike corral very close to the entrance gates to the show, so it minimizes walking.

There is a bus that circulates the camp. If you're not near a shower, or barn store, it helps (assuming you don't have a bike). There are also busses that go off-field to the grocery and Target stores. I don't know if there is a charge, but it won't be much.

The new food vendor added some nice choices. But, like any convention or show, eating there isn't cheap. It's not outrageous by any means, but we usually go back to camp to make lunch and take a break. The barn stores sell ice (and are quite well-equipped for small stores), so it's easy to keep your food in good condition. If you like beer, buy the local beers, cheeses and sausages. Wisconsin is outstanding in these. Oh, alcohol sales stop at 9pm.

This place is BIG. You will walk a lot. Have good shoes, and if you've never worn sock liners and hiking socks, try them now; they help. I see plenty of flip-flop wearers in the show, and don't know how they do it. Also, learn the tram system. It will save not only footsteps, but time, which is precious. They're free and frequent. (Say thanks to your volunteer driver.) When you check in, you'll get a map of the grounds layout and the tram system. They have extra maps, and it's worth having them. Carry water with you. It's readily available at scattered fountains, but you're less likely to get dehydrated on hot days if you drink continuously.

Backpacks work well to carry water, snacks, trinkets you buy, and hold your raingear. It's the midwest, so weather can change quickly. Good conditions can usually be predicted pretty well, so some days you can be confident of no rain. But, in general, be prepared. At least the storms usually move through quickly, so wet conditions come then go. Rain can be continuous for a couple of straight days, but that's the exception. If you have a smartphone, have a weather app (or several!). Then you can see the rain inbound. Remember that most phone radar is 5-20 minutes old. Oshkosh may be northern, but you can get a good sunburn.

The Museum admittance is included in your wristbands. Don't miss it. You can spend most of a day. Good for stormy days, but many others have the same idea.

You can buy your wristbands in advance for a little discount right now on the EAA website. You can also buy your camping in advance. It does speed check-in. You are charged for the full duration of camping, and will be refunded if leaving early. Checkout is 1200, as I recall, or you'll pay for another day.

If you are interested in the forums (speakers), you can download the schedule ahead of time. It really helps to plan these, since they're toward the north end of the field. Also, there has been an AirVenture app in the past (by Sporty's, I believe) that's free and very useful. It has the sched of a lot of things.

You're gonna love it. If you're not retired, advise your workplace, because you might not come back!

Cardinal729
06-20-2014, 09:56 PM
We arrive Sat then on Sun am, our favorite is to take lawn chairs, binos, hats, sunscreen, portable aircraft radio, snag a schedule of the forums and head for the S side of runway 9/27 and watch the aircraft all come in. What a show! All the time perusing the topics offered in the Forums tents and putting a star next to the talks we don't want to miss. Best part of the whole show is the beginning of the week!

Cary
06-21-2014, 04:58 AM
Cary, I wonder if you ever eat at the Charcoal Broiler in Ft. Collins? It is just a couple of blocks due south of the middle of the runway, Yup. Been there many, many times. It's been there just about 50 years, as I recall. The Fort Collins Downtown airport has been closed for several years, though, so referencing the runway (which does still exist, with X's at both ends and a couple of ditches cut through it) won't work for most these days.

Cary

Cary
06-21-2014, 05:10 AM
and head for the S side of runway 9/27 and watch the aircraft all come inOne of my favorite OSH "things to do"--sit at the fence line and watch the landings. Flying into OSH is relatively easy (anticipating flying into OSH the first time is the hardest part), but you'd be surprised how many people forget everything they ever learned about landing an airplane. Failing to slow to an appropriate final approach speed is the biggest error. The pattern for 27 is right hand and relatively tight, so practicing a close-in right hand pattern might be a good thing to do, too.

It helps to practice spot landings and slow flight the week before, because everyone is directed to land on a specific spot and to make their last few miles in at 90 knots (except for the hi-perf airplanes, which come in faster), and reading and following the NOTAM is essential--but it's obvious that many don't do that, which screws things up for others. But it's still fun to watch and critique. We need number signs, like they do at the Olympics. :)

Cary

FlyingRon
06-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Most people don't train enough and they've typically been flying longer than they have been in the last year (or ever) to get to Oshkosh so after slogging through the highly stressful RIPON - FISK transition they're pretty much spent by the time they get to the runway. The dots are there just to space out the arriving traffic ATC doesn't care if you hit the dot just that you're somewhere in the vicinity of it. A better practice would be to practice putting it down on the numbers but giving it a little power and holding it in the air longer. The whole idea is you're flying 50 mph or whatever in the air and you'll be down to 20 or less once you touch down, so if there's nobody in front of you and there's people behind, they want you to land long.

My wife got her certificate about three weeks before Oshkosh. Knowing that people were sitting there watching and critiquing landings, she got to about VPZ and told me I could fly the last leg. The next year, when we had the Navion, she actually flew it all the way into the field.

Jim Heffelfinger
06-21-2014, 06:39 PM
I offer this webinar re flying in.
http://bcove.me/he7cm7hf

mazdaP5
06-21-2014, 06:46 PM
As a well seasoned Camp Scholler resident, it's shoes shoes shoes. Take care of your feet!

Jim Heffelfinger
06-21-2014, 07:12 PM
This will be my first trip to AV and on my bucket list for nearly 10 years. Life has always gotten the way and I now actually have a living wage job WITH paid vacation! I tried the ride share flying into AV but was only contacted by heritage aircraft looking to fund the flight at many times the commercial ticket per seat. Although a once in a lifetime opportunity it would not be prudent to blow the wad all at once.
I am flying into Milwaukee ( SW airlines) on Saturday midday and hope to hitch a ride to AV. EAA Logo Sign should do it. Staying at Scholer in backpack style.
I have been to HQ a few years ago for Chapter leadership conference and can say it was an amazing experience having dinner with Audrey and Paul, full behind the ropes access to the museum (wonder if my nose print is still on the Bugatti canopy?) and meeting staff. Two thumbs up on the museum - even if you have to stay in front of the ropes. It was a pretty emotional experience for me as I am sure for all first timers. The place is haunted by the millions of loving hours spent building the planes in that big room.
A few questions: I have read that there is a major shipper (UPS/FedEx) on site. Is it possible to send a box ahead to be picked up once I arrive?
I have a CPAP machine and I plan on running it on a battery but will need daily recharging... what are my options?
I have heard, here and other places, that food is now plentiful and reasonably priced - what does that mean in real dollars?
Since I have seen many of the airshow acts at other shows is the option to skip the show and take a midday nap an option in the camp ground? (noise)
Leaving on the following Saturday evening... what options are there for return to Milwaukee airport?
Thanks in advance
Jim
Sacramento

Bill Greenwood
06-21-2014, 09:31 PM
I think there may be bus service from Mil to Osh, but likely not from the airport so might need a taxi at the ends. May be some folks driving up from Mil so maybe you can prearrange a ride up on the EAA rideshare site.

Cary
06-22-2014, 05:56 AM
I offer this webinar re flying in.
http://bcove.me/he7cm7hf
The webinar is helpful, but keep in mind that the NOTAM changes from year to year. The changes may be minor, but they are there. So it's pretty important to review it, have a copy in the airplane to refer to, and follow it. Some of its requirements are different from what you've been trained to do--best example is no replying to ATC, unless specifically asked to reply. Another is that you're normally identified by aircraft apparent type, like in my case I often hear "STOL Cessna with the big light" or "red and white STOL Cessna"--because I have droopy tips on the airplane and pulsing landing lights. And don't forget to turn off your transponder!

Cary

Cary
06-22-2014, 06:18 AM
This will be my first trip to AV and on my bucket list for nearly 10 years. Life has always gotten the way and I now actually have a living wage job WITH paid vacation! I tried the ride share flying into AV but was only contacted by heritage aircraft looking to fund the flight at many times the commercial ticket per seat. Although a once in a lifetime opportunity it would not be prudent to blow the wad all at once.
I am flying into Milwaukee ( SW airlines) on Saturday midday and hope to hitch a ride to AV. EAA Logo Sign should do it. Staying at Scholer in backpack style.
I have been to HQ a few years ago for Chapter leadership conference and can say it was an amazing experience having dinner with Audrey and Paul, full behind the ropes access to the museum (wonder if my nose print is still on the Bugatti canopy?) and meeting staff. Two thumbs up on the museum - even if you have to stay in front of the ropes. It was a pretty emotional experience for me as I am sure for all first timers. The place is haunted by the millions of loving hours spent building the planes in that big room.
A few questions: I have read that there is a major shipper (UPS/FedEx) on site. Is it possible to send a box ahead to be picked up once I arrive?
I have a CPAP machine and I plan on running it on a battery but will need daily recharging... what are my options?
I have heard, here and other places, that food is now plentiful and reasonably priced - what does that mean in real dollars?
Since I have seen many of the airshow acts at other shows is the option to skip the show and take a midday nap an option in the camp ground? (noise)
Leaving on the following Saturday evening... what options are there for return to Milwaukee airport?
Thanks in advance
Jim
Sacramento
I don't have answers to all your questions, but some.
>I have not used the UPS service, but I've talked to pilots who did, so that's a possibility.
>There is a "charging station" for electronics recharging, which is secure, which I recommend using. It's been near the Vintage headquarters. Some people just plug in at the showers, but there is a risk of theft, even at OSH--I had a unique spare cell phone battery and charger "disappear" several years ago.
>Plan on spending about $8-10 for each meal, depending on where you go and how much you eat (breakfasts are ala carte, for instance).
>I often do other things instead of watching the air shows every day, but whether you can nap, I can't say. Some acts, especially the military jets, are really loud. This year is the first time the Thunderbirds will be there--you won't be able to nap during their act!

Spend some time on the Airventure website--it'll answer many of your questions.

Cary

FlyingRon
06-22-2014, 06:31 AM
As a well seasoned Camp Scholler resident, it's shoes shoes shoes. Take care of your feet!

Socks, cushion, sole, O.D. green. Try and keep your feet dry when we're out humpin'. I want you boys to remember to change your socks wherever we stop. The Winnebago will eat a grunt's feet right off his legs.

FlyingRon
06-22-2014, 06:36 AM
>I have not used the UPS service, but I've talked to pilots who did, so that's a possibility.

Much to my wife's chagrin, I have. I shipped home a bunch of sales literature and dirty laundry one year. You just head over to the shipping center which is located I think just north of the 4 exhibit buildings and they've got boxes and all you need.

>I often do other things instead of watching the air shows every day, but whether you can nap, I can't say. Some acts, especially the military jets, are really loud. This year is the first time the Thunderbirds will be there--you won't be able to nap during their act!

Many people take showers during the airshow. The hot water is usually pretty plentiful then. Of course, being your first, you'll probably want to watch. I tend to volunteer during the airshow, it's light duty. Mostly you sit out ten feet in front of the crowd line, take a look down the line time to time to see if anybody's crossing the line or setting up camp in the fire lane and in the unfortunate event of a crash keep people back behind the line and out of the fire lanes. Sometimes you can even help retrieve the parachutists and their flags or one year, we got to pretend to chase Jimmy Franklin when he was doing a "flying farmer" type act.

You get free baloney sandwiches and pretzels and lemonade while on duty.

MEdwards
06-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks in advance
Jim
SacramentoAnswers to a couple of your questions:

Yes, there has been a UPS outlet that you can ship to near the grounds in past years. Here’s the link to it:
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/services/shipping-services
Today, 6/22, there’s no info there, so check back in a while. I think you can count on UPS being there

The EAA web page also has some info on transportation to/from Milwaukee.
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/trams-and-shuttles/getting-to-oshkosh
I would think that “shared” part should work fine Saturday evening when a lot of folks will be leaving after the Thunderbirds.

Almost always (last year was unusually cool) it’s too hot mid-afternoon for me to be comfortable in a tent. And, yes, I think the noise would be a problem if you’re trying to nap. It’s not only the jets, the big rotaries are nice and noisy too, so much so I have to find a place behind buildings to hide out to use the phone.

The charging station is in a little building with an awning just north of the Vintage Big Red Barn. There’s no fixed cost, they just ask that you put something in the box. It’s reasonably secure and a great service. You have to watch their closing hours (think it’s 5pm) however.

Food variety and quality was much improved last year, and looks to be similar this year. I’d probably estimate a couple bucks more than Cary’s $8-10, but maybe I just eat too much!

You’ve been on this board a long time, on the old one too I recall. Glad you’ll make it to Oshkosh this year. Have a great time!

MNWORD
06-22-2014, 04:33 PM
WWW.GOLAMERS.com (http://WWW.GOLAMERS.com) for the bus service to OSH, it drops you at the new bus corral right near the main entrance to the show, I had several buddies use it and it is great, so they say......... Have fun.
Wausau to Milwaukee : Schedule

WAUSAU TO MILWAUKEE SCHEDULE
Depart Wausau Transit: 7:45 a.m.
Depart Wausau Lamers: 8:05 a.m.
Depart Stevens Point: 8:35-8:40 a.m.
Depart UW–Stevens Point: 8:45 a.m.
Depart Waupaca 9:20 a.m.
Depart Appleton: 10:05-10:15 a.m.
Depart UW–Oshkosh 10:55 a.m.
Depart Oshkosh Airport: 11:05 a.m.
Depart Fond du Lac: 11:35 a.m.
Arrive Milwaukee: 12:50 p.m.
Arrive Milwaukee Airport: 1:20 p.m.

MILWAUKEE TO WAUSAU SCHEDULE
Depart Milwaukee Airport: 2:30 p.m.
Depart Milwaukee: 3:00 p.m.
Depart Fond du Lac: 4:15 p.m.
Depart Oshkosh Airport: 4:40 p.m.
Depart UW–Oshkosh: 4:50 p.m.
Depart Appleton: 5:25-5:30 p.m.
Depart Waupaca: 6:25 p.m.
Depart UW–Stevens Point: 7:05 p.m.
Depart Stevens Point: 7:10 p.m.
Arrive Wausau Lamers: 7:40 p.m.
Arrive Wausau Transit: 7:55 p.m. - See more at: http://www.golamers.com/services/lamers-connect/wausau-appleton-milwaukee-daily-route/#sthash.T0eIHeSZ.dpuf

W Vaughan
06-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the information. Hopefully we can show up prepared for everything and enjoy the experience.

W Vaughan

Roger Janssens
06-23-2014, 05:45 AM
MNWORD, all, I'm not sure if that schedule actually brings you to the bus corral - it says it drops passengers off at 'Wittman Airport, 525 W. 20th St.', i.e. the terminal. But there are extra schedules from MKE to AirVenture leaving MKE at 7 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. daily, see http://www.golamers.com/services/lamers-express-eaa-airventure/milwaukee-airventure-shuttle/ With the high cost of car rental and the fact that so many facilities at AirVenture are either so close by or can easily be reached by local or even complimentary buses, I'm going to have another look at those schedules myself! Roger

FlyingRon
06-23-2014, 06:09 AM
I don't know if it changed, but the link you post says it drops at the Airventure Bus Park at 3000 Poberezny Road not the terminal.

Cary
06-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Whether the drops are at the bus corral or the terminal shouldn't bother anyone, as the shuttle buses within the airport property make regular runs to the terminal. It might take changing buses at the corral to get from the terminal to Scholler, but other than a few minutes wasted in transit, there's no cost.

Cary

Bill Greenwood
06-23-2014, 08:16 AM
We have used that interstate bus service from Fon du Lac to/from Milwaukee in the past and it was good. If you are used to some of the lousy bus lines in other places, ( as one comedian said, "You know that 10 Most Wanted List?. I think about 5 of them were on my bus.) This is not that same kind of low end deal.
If you are camping at Airventure, you probably don't need a car and can save a lot of money by not having to spend $80 or so a day on them. A car can save you some time if you are going out to dinner in Osh or going to see some other local things, but the main reason I rent one is because we stay in FLD, and the car is a little more convenient than the bus in the early am and late night.
There are lots of buses that go lots of places, sometimes you just have to read the info or even ask someone

MNWORD
06-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Hey Roger, Yes I saw that also, But last year I took my buddies over to the Terminal and they said go to the new corral, and sure enough Lamers was there. So the web site needs to be updated. You can also buy your ticket on the bus with the driver. Hope this helps.

MNWORD

mcdewey
06-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi Folks, I've been to Oshkosh several times now, but never camped out in General camping. I've already pre-registered and am coming in with a rental car and my camping gear. I have a few questions:

1. Do I come in by the museum or the South gate? Can I register at the south gate? Otherwise, it looks like I come in at the West gate. Do I immediately stop at registration, or find a camp site first? Is registration right there at the west gate? (I've looked all thru the AirVenture camping document, but it doesn't say, honest!) I guess the question is what's the best way to get in, how do I get in, check in and find a site?

2. Once, do I just drive up and down the streets looking for an empty spot?

Thanks for your help. I've met nothing but nice people associated with AirVenture and am looking forward to another great year of enjoying the company of fellow aviators.

Mike

mazdaP5
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Check in at the west gate, and yes, drive around until you find your spot.

FlyingRon
06-24-2014, 05:01 AM
It's not hard.. when you approach the field from the highway there are big signs that say EAA CAMPING that direct you to the appropriate entrance. Essentially, you get off at county road N and run up the frontage road to the gate.

rleffler
06-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Hi Folks, I've been to Oshkosh several times now, but never camped out in General camping. I've already pre-registered and am coming in with a rental car and my camping gear. I have a few questions:

1. Do I come in by the museum or the South gate? Can I register at the south gate? Otherwise, it looks like I come in at the West gate. Do I immediately stop at registration, or find a camp site first? Is registration right there at the west gate? (I've looked all thru the AirVenture camping document, but it doesn't say, honest!) I guess the question is what's the best way to get in, how do I get in, check in and find a site?

2. Once, do I just drive up and down the streets looking for an empty spot?

Thanks for your help. I've met nothing but nice people associated with AirVenture and am looking forward to another great year of enjoying the company of fellow aviators.

Mike

I posted this earlier in the thread, but it really is a good guide for first timers......

http://www.upaero.com/oshkoshairshowcampingguide.pdf

mcdewey
06-24-2014, 09:45 AM
I read it when I first went through this thread. It was a great read and helped lots. From what the other people wrote, it looks like it should actually be fairly simple, especially since I'm looking to get in around 6 am on Sunday. I'm hoping I can get in a little closer than he did, but then again, a 1.5 mile walk one way helps me work off that rib-sticking Wisconsin food! :)

rleffler
06-24-2014, 11:53 AM
I read it when I first went through this thread. It was a great read and helped lots. From what the other people wrote, it looks like it should actually be fairly simple, especially since I'm looking to get in around 6 am on Sunday. I'm hoping I can get in a little closer than he did, but then again, a 1.5 mile walk one way helps me work off that rib-sticking Wisconsin food! :)

At 6am you shouldn't have any problems getting through the gate (if it's open then). Most of the camp will be sleeping. By Saturday night, most everything east of 46th street will be full. I suspect that line may actually be even further west that 46th.

Usually, it gets pretty hilarious watching people searching for sites on Sunday afternoon. For some reason, they believe they can get a close site at the eleventh hour. Then they will drive down the same street multiple times. Common sense doesn't always prevail and those folks stick out. I guess they think somebody will pull up their tents and move. After the third pass, you really begin to wonder what they are thinking.

mcdewey
06-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Yep, gate opens at 6. And thanks for the tip about the street.

AgentCOPP1
06-30-2014, 04:13 PM
I remember last year, we got there the Wednesday before so we could park some of the mass arrivals for the parking crew. It was FREEZING. They were calling it Frostkosh. It warmed up during the airshow and was fairly hot. The year before that was Sloshkosh because it rained so much. The midwest is notorious for erratic weather (not as erratic as some places though), so be prepared for all types of weather as I'm sure other people in the thread have told you.