PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters and Oil Screens. Suggestions?

Clarke Tate
06-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Does anyone have experience with either the F&M oil filter adapter or the Airwolf system for a Continental C-85-12 engine.

I just changed oil again and carefully pulling the oil temperature probe repeatedly can't be good. The screen also seems like a rather crude way to protect an engine. Is it correct to think pulling the screen and going to a filter is better.

baboss
06-11-2014, 04:34 PM
The owner of F&M, Bob Knoll, died recently so future support is an unknown at this point.
For some of us who own certain F&M oil filter adapters we rely on F&M to supply a special gasket kit. We're standing by to see if we'll still be able to get these gaskets.

Clarke Tate
06-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks Brock,
It is good to know that. I'm surprised that there are no other comments about oil filters.

WLIU
06-13-2014, 09:42 AM
I have run an F&M on an O-200 in a C-150 and I know multiple other satisfied owners/operators. I do not recall a special gasket required for changing the oil filter. There is a gasket for installation. Never need that gasket again. If I had another small Continental I would grab any F&M on someone's shelf right away.

On the general topic of oil filters, they do keep your engine cleaner and they are better at catching the debris that warn you that you have a problem coming. Screens just catch the big stuff. I do NOT use the filter as an excuse to extend the oil change interval. Oil is cheap compared to the cost of the engine. I cut open the oil filter at every 25 hr oil change and look for metal. Carbon bits are OK.

The external oil filters will provide a little more cooling of the oil.

My Pitts engine has only oil screens. No air filter. I do 15 hr oil changes to dump the dirt that gets into the oil by way of the combustion chamber walls. Adding an external oil filter would add weight, which works against scoring points at a contest. Different mission with different requirements.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

baboss
06-13-2014, 11:15 AM
http://www.cessna172club.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=47961&Searchpage=1&Main=18268&Words=%22F%26M+oil+filter%22&Search=true#Post47961

There's a modification for some of the oil filter adapters to help stop leaks, not sure if it applies to the O-200's or not.
Link to a thread about it at the 172Club above.

Basically one of the AN copper crush gaskets is replaced with a fiber Leak-gard gasket on the engine side of the adapter to help stop oil leaks. You send your adapter off to F&M and they machine grooves into the face of the adapter that mates with the engine and they send it back with the new gasket set (1 AN copper crush gasket and 1 Leak-gard gasket).
As far as I know there was never a communication to owners about this mod.

We rely on F&M for this gasket set now that it contains this fiber Leak-gard gasket.
I believe it is Garlock Leak-gard material but can't prove that.

Also, a 172 owner reported a blow out of this gasket and lost all oil pressure and his oil in flight. Landed within 10 minutes of the incident and his engine was toasted/seized. Those of us with the mod to the new gasket are watching ours like a hawk.
Newer ICAW from F&M says to replace this fiber Leak-gard gasket anytime you R/R the oil filter adapter, or every 300 hours or 3 years whichever occurs first.

WLIU
06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Now I understand why the concern about the gasket. The C-172 O-300 installation is a completely different kit than the C series and O-200 kit. The small Continentals do not need that gasket as the kit is a different bolt on part that is never disturbed after initial installation. The small Continental owners don't have the problem. They just unscrew the old oil filter and screw on a new one.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

Clarke Tate
06-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Thank you everyone for all of the input, both units sound good for slightly different reasons. The weight of the F&M is lighter than the Airwolf, and has been the deciding factor for me. The Culver Cadet I am installing this on needs as little added weight as possible.