PDA

View Full Version : Zlin 526 Feedback

Dsleslie
05-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi, apologies if this is not the right place to post. I am looking around at different aerobatic aircraft and came across the Zlin 526. Anybody got any experience with this aircraft?

Thanks!

WLIU
05-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Where are you? I know an owner in Concord, NH who has one and reports that he likes the handling. I think that there is also one at Mansfield or Taunton, MA.

I understand that you want an airplane with the beefed up wing from, I think, the 726.

And what type of flying do you want to do with it?

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

Dsleslie
05-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Normally I am in CT, but not there now.

Did I read somewhere that the 726 was inferior for aerobatics?
see:
http://www.zlintrener.com/tipus.php?nyelv=angol

"As the result of the modernisation of the two seater versions, and the extended use of the Tréner family as touring plane, the canvas covered parts were minimised. The control surfaces and the front end of the fuselage received aluminium skin. The wingspan was reduced and she received a modified M-137AZ engine. The new type is known as Z-726 Universal. She became heavier and the aerobatics performance was also far from the previous models. The constructors tried to match the power needs of the “universal” by employing the M-337 AK (Compressor) engine and the V-500A manual pitch controlled propeller.

The modifications resulted in some unwanted consequences. The new propeller prevented the plane to execute an aileron roll and other high speed aerobatics figures, and the compressor has to be switched off during aerobatics. As a result of these, the plane’s performance was limited back to the original Z-26, towing, touring and basic training.
After this it comes with no surprise that Z-726 K became the last member of the famous Tréner family."

Where are you? I know an owner in Concord, NH who has one and reports that he likes the handling. I think that there is also one at Mansfield or Taunton, MA.

I understand that you want an airplane with the beefed up wing from, I think, the 726.

And what type of flying do you want to do with it?

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

WLIU
05-20-2014, 07:41 PM
That reads like the weight was added in the fuselage.

Turbochargers and aerobatics do not mix. A little spinning gyroscope does not want to change direction. From the text I will guess that the turbo is mounted with the shaft across the engine compartment.

The Zlin's are far behind the state of the art for aerobatics. The Zlin-50's were competitive for a while.

I am told that the 526 is a fun airplane though.

And Ladi Bezak proved that they will haul a load if you ask them to. He put himself, his wife, and their 4 children in one to defect across the old iron curtain.

When you are back in CT can try to hook you up with an owner through IAC chapter 35.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

Dsleslie
05-21-2014, 06:02 AM
Wes, thanks a lot. Will definitely contact you when back.